whatz blues music??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by uj_6string, Jan 12, 2006.

1. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

hey guys....
    i was just curious......i wanted to know what blues music is......
    all i know is dt blues music is based on blues scale.....ive done g minor blues scale....
    so can anyone give me more information on blues music and name some good bands who play this kinda music.......
    thankz...
    uj :rock:

2. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

3. uj_6string

@the wizard.....thankz.....
    whoa......wikipediaz given loads of information.......and yeah alpha1....i know hez fond of blues...
    couple of days ago....he helped me out and i said "u rock"......he replied back saying..."dude....i dont rock...i blues..."...lol

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

wake up early one morning. too early to go to work. Go to sleep and wake up late. Get fired for tardiness. Get back home early and catch your wife fooling around with your best friend. Go out again to a bar and on the way wipe the crap off your shirt that the pigeon so thoughtfully deposited. Check the papers on the way home and throw away your losing lottery ticket. Come back home to find a note by your wife saying that she has left you and moved to new york with your best friend.

Go out again and get totally wasted. Come back home and see that your dog has died.

Play the guitar.

that is the blues.

Saptashaw and the_wizard like this.
  5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Any Music that will make you go Blue is Blues Music.

6. uj_6string

@bjr.....what the hell was that??????????:confused:

7. uj_6string

@ronnie...so...itz something like.....sad music or something?????:confused:

8. ElysiaN

ElysiaN d@Rk\/\/@|\|deReR

:beer: this really needs to be appended in wikipedia..... :)

9. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

:nw: :nw: :nw: You are the dude. :nw: :nw: :nw:

10. mr singh

mr singh New Member

:nw: :nw: :nw: BJR, nicely summed up. :nw: :nw: :nw:

11. uj_6string

guys.....me really confused....kuch tameez ka bataoo.....

12. mr singh

mr singh New Member

basically blues is emotionally charged music

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It's very difficult to explain really. Technically, It's a genre of music. I can also try to explain the technical side:

Music that makes you sad is one of the answers but not all "sad" music would count as being the "blues". In the blues you're actually using minor scales punctuated with other "blue" notes which accounts for the "sadness" of the music....however, usually, you are using a progression that involves Major (or Dominant 7th) chords which are supposed to be "happy chords" so you see the contrast between the "happy" chords and the "sad" scales and the combination of the two is what is giving you "the blues". The standard blues chord progression is 12 bars long and is called the 12 bar blues. In the key of G:

4 bars of G
    2 bars of C
    2 bars of G again
    1 bar of D
    1 bar of C
    1 bar of G
    1 bar of D7th

is the 12 bar progression....it also has a typical timing over which you play the blues scale.

Musically, the best explanation I could give is the one I gave.

@elysin/ronnie/mrsingh: Thank you. This is my favourite explanation and from the time I heard it from someone....I dont think I've met anyone who would disagree :beer:

ElysiaN likes this.
  14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Addition to BJR

Blues music actually is the music that was origianally played by African slaves.

The afro slaves in America used to muse about their lives in Africa and glorified it. Comparing it to the slavery and life filled with hardships and sorrow.

So the music and lyrics would go somewhat like this:

(Adom7)
    I lost my babe tonight

(Ddom7)
    Yeah, I lost my babe tonight

(Edom7)
    But teh way she used to move

(Adom7)
    How I wish she was here.....

Damn it is tuff to explain it here.
    I ll do a record n upload thingy.

[edit] I realised that I had put in wrong chord structure :-D. Corrected it.

ElysiaN likes this.
  15. ElysiaN

ElysiaN d@Rk\/\/@|\|deReR

@bjr, @alpha1...thanx for the explanation :rock:

16. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

lolz --- reps for u!! -- if it permits!

17. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

wow.. this thread totally turned my mind into a straight reverse of 180 degrees...
    till now i thought blues music was something to get you out of grief... something soothing that makes u feel happy..... :)

18. uj_6string

@alpha1....thankz a lot yaar.....u blues.....in all the problems ive posted at igt....uve always replied......ur awesome....
    @bjr.....thanz for the explanation yaar......about how i think it is musically......ill tell ya my opinion after hearing it out.....lol.....i understood what u said about sad scales and happy chords thingy......just one question....this progression uve posted of G......this is like the key or the scale at which the song is based right.......like u have songs based on a particular scale or key.......this is the same thing....right???
    and yes.....my thankz to other ppl who posted in this thread......ronnie....mr singh.....thankz guys....
    i would really like it if u guys could tell me some good songs in this genre of music.....i think alpha1 can help me out here.....

19. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

:shock: :shock:
    Dude haven't u heard B.B. KING???
    OR ERIC CLAPTON???

THEYRE BLUES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

20. zing

zing Machine Head

awsum!! v salute u