whats your STAPLE brand of music?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by jamhead, Feb 15, 2005.

?

whats your FAVOURITE brand of music ??

1. (mainly) retro and/or classic rock

30.4%
  2. (mainly) post 80ies (maybe) including grunge rock

4.3%
  3. (mainly) metal (all sub divisions including nu)

26.1%
  4. (mainly) pop and/or dance music

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. (mainly) hindi songs

13.0%
  6. (mainly) other indian language songs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. (mainly) indian and/or western classical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. (mainly) rock instrumental

4.3%
  9. i am DEEPLY into 2 or more of above - a combo

13.0%
  10. none of the above (pls specify exactly what )

8.7%
  1. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

sorry everybody, we had to close that thread. all my fault.

i should have mentioned in the topic/title itself, that this thread is about the MAIN / STAPLE / PREFERRED genre of music, and not all the genres that you listen to.

those who have already voted in that thread, will you please take the trouble of casting your votes again in this "re-election" ?

others who didnt vote then....... WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE / PREFERRED / MAIN / STAPLE GENRE OR TYPE OF MUSIC ???

choose the " a combination" option only if you like 2 or more genres in equal measure.

2. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

wow you went poll crazy today. Vote goes for metal.

3. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

yay!!! thats the kind of reply i wanted... ur FAVOURITE sort of music (in ur case metal) and not all the types u listen.

not poll crazy.. actually its the same poll... only this time i have taken care to explain the nature of the question categorically.

the other thread fetched me some er.. invalid replies.. so i have requested a mod to cancel/close it.. i hope he will do that soon.

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Metal rules:rock:

5. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

i use to be a rock and metal freak till some yrs back ...

now i listen and play mostly hindi muzik .... lol

i go for hindi songs :)

6. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

classic rock is much better.

has much better bands (Clapton, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, Dire Straits, Bob Dylan and on and on)

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

classic rock for me...definately....but i wudve considered progressive rock if u wudve included it.

8. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

er.. dire straits started out sometime in the fag end of 1977.... reaching the height of their popularity with the 1985 "ship platinum" album "Brothers In Arms"

so post 80-ies for the most part.....for "in depth" band history check out -

https://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/288/history/dshist.htm

9. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

lol, with that "metal messiah" handle that you have, one would think u'd have opted for metal.

as for progressive rock, sorry not to have included it.

the break up of the rock scene was as per time period and not exactly sub category.

though progressive rock is alive and kicking to this day (Dr Th, and all) from what i know its mostly a 60-ies movement which peaked somewhere in the 70-ies. if you interpret "classic" to mean "pre 80-ies", then your favourite type gets included as well.

this is what a website had to say :

Progressive rock ("prog") is an ambitious, eclectic, and often grandiose style of rock music which arose in the late 1960s principally in England, reaching the peak of its popularity in the early 1970s, but continuing as a musical form to this day. Progressive rock was largely a European movement, and drew most of its influences from classical music and jazz fusion, in contrast to American rock, which was influenced by rhythm & blues and country, although there are notable exceptions in the New World such as Kansas and Rush — considered by many to be the finest examples of the form. Over the years various sub-genres of progressive rock have emerged, such as symphonic rock, art rock and progressive metal.

for the rest surf your way to this link -

https://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp

10. tejas

tejas ..........

I voted for Metal and its sub genres, though I wouldn't consider Nu-Metal to be a sub-genre of Metal.

11. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yeah, i know metal messiah. When I joined IGT i was a metal fan, now im more into progressive and classical rock.
    Good pice of info btw

12. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

i've always been a bit non-violent types...so not much heavy metal or anything...
    I like many of the above genres though.....say....classic 80's...hindi...pop...instrumentals..classical etc. so ....a pot pourri of sorts

13. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

ty. nice that u liked the info.

but are they right is considering a psydelic band like pink floyd as "progressive" ?

other doubious inclusions into the prog genre are tull, frank zappa, and genesis. i thought genesis was "classic", though i may be wrong on these counts.

all i know for sure is floyd is best described as "psycadelic"

14. d_ist_urb_ed

Metal Rules, not nu-metal, metal in it's pure form.

15. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

i always found metal to be a bit much for me.... which would you say are some of the easier metal bands to listen to... that side of iron maiden, i mean ?

there's a girlie kind of metal which i can absorb without headaches.. symphonic... nightwish and a lil lacuna coil

16. d_ist_urb_ed

Girlie kind of metal, LOL:) You'll get accustomed to real metal as you listen to it. Iron Maiden is a brilliant band. Megadeth, Metallica, Judas Priest, Dio, Black Sabbath, is more than easy to listen to. Also, try out Opeth-Damnation, i'm guessing you'll love it.

17. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

i like maiden.

like mama i'm comming home by bozo

angry again and kill the king by megadeth

whisky in the jar and enter sandman by metallica

heard of opeth and morbid angel.... never tried tho

have lots of video clips of pantera, 9 inch nails, megadeth, maiden, matallica, sepal tura, brand X live stock and other such denizens of the anti "something or the other", aggro-morbid school of thought

18. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

when floyd started out their brand was called Cosmic Rock. U cud call them a Psychedelic Rock Band. U cud even call them progressive. The problem is that all these various rock forms do tend to merge into each pther, so u really cant say.
    Id call them a classical rock band,cuz they are as old as zepplin/sabbath.

19. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

i know the history of Dire Straits jamhead but their sound isn't an 80s sound. They don't sound like any of the post80s bands.

post80s mainly includes artists like:
    Police, Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses, Motorhead, AC/DC, Clash, *** Pistols.

And bands like Dire Straits and Aerosmith would fall into classic rock because their sound is from that earlier part in time and technically they both started in the 70s. Just because they started later doesn't mean their genre is from that later period especially when the question popped was whats your favourite brand of music rather than when was your favourite period in music, thats two entirely different questions.

Furthermore concerning Dire Straits they were already a hit in the 70s thanks to songs like Sultans of Swing and Six Blade Knife, their height was Brothers In Arms but they were already an old established band by that point in time.

20. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

its good that u know the history of dire straits.

i in turn, do happen to know which bands are post 80-ies.

the sound, feel, content & image of dire straits is quite quite unlike that of aerosmith. totally different u.s.p's characterize their music.

when i say classic i mean the kind of music that epitomises the "retro/classic" sound and when i say "post 80-ies" i mean bands that exempify the sort of music that was big in the post 80-es period. if some band in the 80-ies had a slightly different sound/feel from their contempories, it dont automatically make them classic or retro. dire straits is nothig like lynyrd skynyrd, cream, the who and the like. lenny kravitz on the other hand, though very much a post 80ies dude, dishes out "clasic/retro" fare.

finally the hits they had in the "70-ies" were sometime in 1979.

they were indeed quite "established" by new years day 1980 but they certainly werent "old".