whats with Mozilla Browser?

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by vini, Aug 2, 2005.

1. vini

vini Repeat Offender

hi guys!!
    many frenz of mine have recommended me to get a mozilla browser and dump the current Internet Explorer browser which m using...how wise do u think would that be?
    ..one advantage i've heard is that of relief from bugging pop up ads..how true is that?? also guys share some advantages/disadv of mozilla..so that i take the plunge :)
    :help:

tahda!!

2. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

First of all,.. the gloss,.. or the shine u Mod's get around your displayed ID goes off. Your id would be displayed plain. Pop-ups do get blocked. Mozilla gives problems sometimes while downloading files from sites(never happens with IE). U cant logout from IGT if u r using Mozilla.

I'hv heard its more secure in terms of downloading spywares unknowingly than IE. So i have been using it myself since sometime now.

3. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

Devoted Mozilla user.
    Pros
    No pop-ups.
    excellent file manager, u can pause dnloads, cant do this in IE
    Less spyware
    Cooler add-ons, for eg, the search bar, u can search wikipedia,OLGA,Google,Dictionary.com,Yahoo etc thru there...and that doesnt get any addware with it
    Faster
    Tabbed browsing
    better password manager

Cons
    U cant see the glow.
    Certain sites are more IE friendly for eg. epaper.indiatimes.com
    takes up more RAM

Verdict
    Take the plunge.
    no jhol in signing out of IGT,
    ive used this for a long long time....and i dont have any problems...not once did i have a problem

4. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

It DOESSSSSSSSS give a problem to sign out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. andystringer83

andystringer83 New Member

Well im on Power Mac G5 Mac OS X 10.4 and the Mozilla Browser is sweeeet. have a lot of advanced options that you should check out......

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

get the latest version..........it SO DOESNT:p:

7. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Two words, Mozilla Rules! If you're still using Internet explorer, you're still in the stone age. Say hello to the dinos for me!

8. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

IE and Firefox are having its own place...

If you like the professionals features....than IE is best..which i use!
    And if you cant handle the spywares and stuff.. then use the kido Firefox!

But then... watever happens... IE has the feel...which i didnt find in other browsers....
    So if you want to be on safer side... go for Firefox..

One annoying feature of FIREFOX is.. it cache's page... and sometimes shows the stale pages over few days! :mad:
    That makes it really fast :p: :p:

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@zoom...what did u have for breakfast......brontosaurus steaks ?:p::grin:

10. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Hell yeah bro :grin:

11. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Firefox is so overrated

Firefox is highly overrated.
    Though I've been using only firefox in the recent past, and very little IE, firefox is far from perfect.
    Some things IE does better than firefox:
    1. the "stop" button - if there is some annoying music in the background or annoying jumping images, simply pressing "stop" on IE will make all that stop. But firefox disables the stop button once the page loads. How could they miss such a simple feature?
    2. if an image didn't load in a page, in IE u can right click that area and select "show image", and IE will attempt to load that image alone again, keeping the page intact. firefox tries to load that image in a new page. so stupid!
    3. firefox doesn't render tamil fonts properly (may have problems with other languages too). In tamil, the vowel modifier sometimes comes before the letter it modifies, but firefox never puts it in the right place. IE shows it correctly.

And firefox doesn't stop all pop-ups, and it crashes too.

Still, its features like tabbed browsing, its customizability and speed have made me stick with it for general browsing, and open IE only when I need it (to view tamil pages, activex pages etc).

12. rechts_234

rechts_234 New Member

opera is better

13. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

Eversince I started using firefox I never looked back on IE.
    If I open the same url on IE and on firefox -- looks like firefox loads the page *atleast* 3 times faster.
    Firefox blocks pop-up ads by default (though its sweet enuf to give u an option to display them as well --- )

"First of all,.. the gloss,.. or the shine u Mod's get around your displayed ID goes off."
    Nope it does not -- it *only* blocks creepy pop-up ads!
    IE does not display the URL icon (to the xtreme left of the address bar) -- web addresses look more interesting and identifiable with firefox. IE just shows that old blue 'e' for all addresses!
    IE is also a cached browser and often shows stale pages - u just need a refresh in either case.
    Firefox is created by people who love to share things for free -- much like IGT -- Though the IE u might be using is free -- but MS has the legal right to sue you for not paying them!
    Firefox allows tabbed browsin -- so u can open related pages under one window -- instead of opeing/crashing several IE windows ..... Firefox has more evolved downloading options and also maintains a download history (which u can retain or delete easily)....
    IE is quite used to 'performing illegal operations' Havent seen firefox crash in last 1 and a half years --- firefox is waaaaaay ahead -- and certainly deserves a try -- then its ur choice!

And there's more -- incase u come across some problem with IE u have to live with it unless microsoft fixes it -- with firefox u can feedback the team of developers at mozilla.org and your name will be listed at mozilla among people who reported bugs!

Cant help but there's even more -- the search in firefox works on the go as you type!
    ...Also it provides better bookmark features and u can search bookmarks as well :)

...and yes .. 75 millon+ people use firefox in less than 2 yrs dumping IE --by choice.

14. gogol

gogol New Member

Free As In Freedom

As this discussion gets so interesting, I couldn't stay away without posting anything!

I try to run a GNU/Linux Users Group. So I'll be a bit( no a real lot ) inclined to firefox/mozilla etc. And I got reasons for that.

1st of all Microsoft products might be a bit sparkling but basically they are screwed up :p: . Firefox is actually a dino in disguise. Mostly the firefox we use is preconfigured for optimized browsing from data transfer point of view. Its got a huge a real huge script that can be modified for additional(looking good) features to be turned on. It is intentionally made sleek to be light on resources. :cool: . The real power of Firefox can be realised if you install the extensions available(thousands or so) which can basically make net browsing easiest in Firefox. Gmail Extension is one of the most popular ones.

PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT MOZILLA. Its FAR ahead of IE. Mozilla and Firefox use Very sophisticated threaded downloads for pages that makes good use of unused bandwidth.

IE6 DID NOT support JVM just to put Sun technology into oblivion. When Microsoft was sued for that(monopoly), it added JVM support in recent IE versions.

IE can only be run on Windows(most children play with that).

Firefox/Mozilla etc. can run on distrubuted platforms. Hahaha :rule:

Some sites say that their pages can be best viewed in IE. This is only because they DO NOT have CrossPlatform Script Writers(low on Gray matter). This is not a fault of Mozilla/Firefox.

I would be recommending everyone to use Mozilla/Firefox. I am using it after I left using Mozilla, which I started using just after I found IE was a real ****.

Basically Mozilla and Firefox are the same as they use the same Engines(the backbone). Firefox is just kept intentionally light to keep low on resources as i mentioned before.

I am not forcing you to trust me but asking you to try.

Bye and Happy Hacking, :rock:
    Ankur

15. gogol

gogol New Member

sixstringsin....man u are the cooooolest..

Exactly, Community is the power of Firefox just like any other Free Software(free as in freedom) or Open source software. Trust "sixstringsin"... Yes your bugs will be fixed and you will be enlisted. Quit Using that S*H*I*T EI. Choose Freedom.

16. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

Pls check again,.. i think it does!!

Though am not against it n all!!

YEAH,... and in Mozilla,... while forwarding mails from rediff, you cant see the Quick address box made available there.

17. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

Ctrl C + Ctrl V ...

18. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

install it...use it...if u lik it continue....if u dont use IE...simple enuf.... :rock:

19. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Yeah, cypher is right. Try it. Most probably you'll like it. Its never crashed with me. Absolutely minimum spyware, no pop-ups, tabs support, skinning support. You can add by installing the latest extensions.

20. sukrit_7

sukrit_7 New Member

i agree.. i think it rocks too..