whats this thing i see here on IGT?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by jayswami, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

ok do this , start listening to rock music.
    even when listening to bollywood songs, try to filter out the vocals and focus on other tracks. do this for 2 3 months. then things will fall in place. u will automatically become a better guitarist. u just need to learn how to mask out lata mangeshkar kishore kumar etc :p:

2. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

listening rock is good option i guess... @ cause filtering lata and kishore : their voices are too sweet to miss .... ( and i belive more dominant over musical instru. in oldies may be cause less no. of instru. used and harmonium/keyboard being major of them.) .....
    rehman's song might do as well i gues....
    again all comments thro' my personal spects ....

3. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

my xplanation..

ya thats right.. i seen it too...
    and kudos 2 u 4 bringin up an important topic...

most of the beginners want 2 play the vocal melody instd of chords.. but i think i can (try 2) tell u y it is so..

i hav been in this situation myself.. i am still learning, know only a few things abt guitar .. but still not some1 u wud be referrin 2 as an absolute beginner.

when i was a beginner i was also intrstd in playin the vocal melody of a song .. i wud try 2 play 1 or 2 chords .. get fed up and then try 2 play the melody of a sweet song which is probably the case with most of the beginners out here..

thats mainly due to the fact that most of the beginners are learning to play guitar just 4 fun.. evry 1 is impatient 2 play their first song in the guitar.. mastering the chords 1 by 1 and then playin a song using chords seems like an uphill task for beginners..
    instd if some1 teaches him/her the melody (which evry1 refers to as tabs of the song) its vry heartenin 4 them.. was 4 me.. :eek::

if he/she learns guitar professionally.. i mean atleast hav a tutor or take classes.. then there is a vry rare (read none) possibility that u wud find that beginner askin 4 vocal melodies of a song.. he/she wud be learnin 2 play the chords and all those things reqd 2 do 2 learn it the right way..

but 4 the rest of beginners i guess it wont be the same.. its always nice 2 show a frnd of urs (who knows nothin abt playin a guitar) how u cud play the vocal melody of a song.. it feels really cool..

howevr i guess... aftr some time they wud realise that its not of much use unless u learn 2 play chords.. like i learnt.. if u get bored playin them and want 2 play any melodies.. then instd of askin some1 else 4 the melody of a song.. try 2 pick it up on ur own.. it can atleast help u tab songs later on ur own..

and 1 thing.. it wud be much bettr if all u people who request for the vocal melody of a song... dont refer to the melody as tabs..
    req-vocal melody of song xxxx instd of req-tabs of xxxx... if the melody is what u r lookin for..

all that i said out here is what i hav been thru personally and what i feel is the reason behind ppl askin 4 the melodies instd of chords.. so it need not be true 4 evry1..

:shock: thats a vry lengthy xplanation. :)

4. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

u cant be more true... thats a fact.

5. madhura

@ subhro ... thats what i said... its feeling of " hey i can play song ." .... which sounds like a song ...... for newbies....

6. propellerhead

propellerhead Banned

i got a cool idea. we should have reverse karaoke programs on indian national tv.

like F@$$$%:cen: the vocalist. we will sammple him or her.. play tape player with just vocal track, and have a live band play music over it on tv hows that???

U know now there is software which will generate human voice.. u just play the notes.. and from its voice library ti will extrap[ulate the voice.. u can even choose whom u want to sing.. elvis pressley michael jackson etc... i think thats the right direct for music to go.. :)
    please give me bad reps for this post. i wanna see more bright red dots

7. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

that was my sarcasm and cynicism kickin in

8. madhura

^^^^.... yeah yeah ... as if "I" never knew .....
    and what was mine?

9. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@jay....i agree dat vocalist are treated like kings here but i believe dat is because loads of hindi songs especially the old ones r so soulful and melodic dat they dont need any music at all...just the singer itself....have you heard dat song ...? dont remember the movies name....but dharmendra singing " ya dil ki suno duniya walo....ya mujko bhi chup rehene do...." not only dat...but many old hindi songs were like dat. singers alone were too good ...and music was something which was NOT concentrated upon (maybe this is the reason why now a days....ppl r putting some music in those songs and making remix out of it).

if mohd. rafi sings...he just needs music to back him up.

however, now scene has changed, audience wants music and good singer too. though singer gets top priority.

as for the newbies thing....i think if you learn tabs than chords of a particular song it helps you more to show off. :p:...i hope u got wat i am trying to say.

10. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

Yea I got u 100% bro.

and your post is a proof of my theory on indian psyche and indian classical music.
    your feelings match about a billion ppl's

<snip>
    especially the old ones r so soulful and melodic dat they dont need any music at all.
    </snip>

thats says it all....

no wonder everyone in my village asks me to play a "tune" on the keyboard.

J

11. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

^^^i get wat u say buddy. but i am just supporting the old melodies not the new one.

and wats "your" theory? :p:

12. guitarguru

guitarguru New Member

what's a chord?

one other important reason is that indian classical/traditional music has no concept of harmony/chords. Its something very new to indian people and when someone just picks up a guitar, he wants to play "sa re ga ma .."

Also, their ears are not trained for chords. For example I have a friend who sings well but can not pick up a scale from a chord. he needs a note.

Jay, are you saying indian classical music does injustice to instruments?? I dont think you are but I did not exactly get that point. Cause it depends on the role of the player. If they are only accompanying, then they ought to be in background. Once you are good enough to play solo, people bow to you.

Its the film music that has made the singer the king. But then if you think about it, an actor who has nothing else but a good face(sometimes not even that) gets more attention than the singer. can't help it...

what we can do?.. well encourage every beginner to play chords.
    --Create a thread with atleast 10 good songs with simple open chords. So that a beginner gets a satisfaction of being able to play the songs.
    --start a "song of the week" where someone announces a simple song, people listen to it over the week and try to figure out the chords. After a week they can compare their work with the correct answer.

what say ppl?

13. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

indian classical music doesnt do injustice to instruments..

in my opinion the role of a accompanying musician is very secondary in indian classical music... only solos r noticed by people. and compositions are made to highlight the improvisational skills of the soloist. so the indian public are not trained to appreciate an orchestra or a symphony.. where there were would lot of pople will minor roles which are extremely important to the compositon.. like playing triangles.. or shakers etc.

and dude its not a melody vs chords argument. both are meaningless without each other.

My basic question was what drives desis to play vocal harmonies on the guitar.

one can play guitar rhythm for any damn song.. it doesnt matter if the orignal arrangement doesnt have any guitars.. if u want u can play simple guitar chords for even madhuban mein radhika nache

J

14. guitarguru

guitarguru New Member

Well of course you can play chords for anything. thats not what I am saying.

It seems you have had the fortune to be in right company when you started learning guitar. I am not at all surprised by people starting with melody. I took up a guitar and used to play with a friend and what came naturally to us was playing melody. In fact we did not even know for some time that there is anything called "chords" that you can play. And when we came to know that, it was one of those "advanced" things that we thought is not our cup of tea.

so I was saying that over all people are not familiar with chords. Atleast I was not when I started and thought playing melody is the only way to go. Cause thats how harmonium/flute/violin/santoor/sitar/sarod is played. Guitar is a foreign instrument and so is the concept of chords. Unless there is someone to guide you.

anyways.. my 2 cents...

But I think we should compile few easy songs in one thread for beginners.

15. madhura

^^^
    beginners are waiting for that .....

16. propellerhead

propellerhead Banned

-----------------

17. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

no i didnt have any right company... all i had was a casio pt 82 toy keyboard.. which was monophonic.. meaning u can play only melody.. one note at a time.. till i was in 12th standard. I am a keyboard player... not a guitarist.. but even during those days, i had keen ears and i know what was being played by the different instruments.. and i used to play each of those on my casio.. not just the vocal melody... but unfortunately i couldnt play chords.. as my keyboard didnt allow that..
    then i got another keyboard.. casio sa 20.. that allowed me to play 4 notes simultanously.. and it was like heaven.. suddenly i could play the C Am F G progression for papa kehthen hain.. i spent the next 3 months dicovering cool chords...
    I didnt have a name for them.. at that time.. cause i didnt know C D E F etc...
    I picked up the guitar fairly recently.. by then i have 2 3 big sized keyboards..
    I found it awefully difficult to play melody.. playing chords was the relatively easy thing for me.. all u needed for a good sense of rhythm to play chords. I still cannot play melody on the guitar btw.

J

18. madhura

^^^ what the heck was that?

19. madhura

oppsi ... not for you u j ... for ph ...... see timing.. we both posted at same time.... so it says ^^^ .... ( worst part i was not able to delete this post .... so babling something) sorry

20. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

maybe he wanted to delete his post too.. u why dont u delete yoru post with -----
    then i will dop the same here.. and we will ahve 3 -----s :p;