Whats the single most important thing you did to improve your playing?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by lord_neo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Thats what I did too (in addition to seeing John Petrucci's Rock Discipline:cool: )

2. Les Carlo

Les Carlo New Member

Learning Music along with practice would be better, If you are playing a song from another band and you do not know what is being played for ex: chords, scales, modes used etc What is the use of becoming a tab guitarist, ultimately you do not acheive anything if you are a tab guitarist. When you are called upon to jam with learned musicians what would you play?

So I would always suggest learn music while you play, just don't play it because it's your fav band or so.

3. Les Carlo

Les Carlo New Member

Raasta Man . . Listen to Bassist Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey. Guitarists John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola. I love works of John petrucci from Dream Theater on the album Awake.
    Eric Johnson on songs like Manhattan, Zap, 40 Mile town etc.
    I got a lot inspired by Kim Thayil and Chris Cornell from Soundgarden for their variant chord progressions on both A sides and Superunknown albums.

Jerry Cantrell from Chains good inspiration for Grunge Blues. Stone Gossard, Mike McCready from Pearl Jam on songs like Deep, Why go, Tremor christ, Garden etc.

What do you listen to by the way?