Whats the difference between Acoustic and Spanish Guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by musicoholic, Mar 30, 2006.

1. musicoholic

musicoholic New Member

Ok guys temme whats the basic difference between spanish and acoustic guitar if there is any.....n also which is better for performing and singing songs........Thanks and Please Help like you've always been doing

2. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

Hmm.. as far as I know, a Spanish guitar is the classical guitar with nylon strings and an acoustic guitar is the one with steel strings.

3. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

^ what he/she/it said.

Thread moved

4. mr singh

mr singh New Member

acoustic guitars also have a different method of attachin strings 2 the bridge usually... they hav that lil bobble thiing on the end of a string
    classical guitars have no bobble thing, the string secures itself by passing through hole and around itself
    the headstock of classical guitars has 3 tuning knobs on each side (top + bottom)
    acoustic sumtimes have all the tuning knobs on one side i.e. top side
    and the main difference has already bin stated by cryptic

in terms of playing, performing and singing songs, it is difficult 2 say as everyone has their own preferences...
    classical guitar: due to the nylon strings, this guitar has a softer more rounded timbre. the strings dont hurt fingers as much initially as they are nylon. this guitar also has a wide fretboard and wide inter-string spaces
    acoustic: due to the wire strings, this guitar has a sharper timbre. the strings also dig in2 fingers more as they r wire. not sure about fretboard width 4 acoustic guitar.

5. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

6. bsharp

bsharp New Member

In Brief :

Accoustic Guitar : Thinner neck
    Steel strings..Comparatively louder sound.

Classical(Spanish) Guitar: Neck is wide.
    Higher notes having nylon strings and steel strings on lower 3.
    Sound is softer and more mellow than accoustic.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL

Man, no one dwelt upon this here; so lemme add:

Acoustic guitar is super set of spanish guitar.
    Spanich is a subset of acoustic guitar.

Acoustic guitar is ANY guitar whcih doesnt require electricity for amplification. It makes sound coz its body and air in the cavity resonates.

Spanish guitars are a type of acoustic guitars that have nylon strings, have thicker neck, usually have higher action, are more squat looking.
    The neck is flatter usually.

The one that is normally refered to as acoustic guitar (and the same thign has been done here on this thread) is actually known as Steel Strung acoustic guitar (I guess the thivker strings have a brass or bronze covering though :p: )

8. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

After reading this thread i am getting confused of spanish and acoustic guitars.

I thought like this - guitars are of two categories. 1. hawaiian 2. spanish
    and as alpha told anything sounding without electric connection is acoustic.

I saw the following site for names and pics, to understand what acoustic/spanish guitars are actually.
    https://givson.com/products7.htm#products

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well actually you have given two of the three categories of acoustic guitars.

Spanish = nylon strings, squatty looking, thik neck

Steel strung = metal strings, thinner neck, more agile looking

HAwain = guitar which has super high action, you play using slide, and usually keep it on your lap. No frets required (since you use the slide)

10. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member

Acoustic

The term "Acoustic" means not amplified electronically. Both steel strings and Nylon string fall in the acoustic category. Nylon string guitars are of two types:
    1. Classical
    2. Flamenco
    The differnce here is in the wood that is being used. Classical guitars are mellow in sound, while Flamenco guitars are a bit more metallic witha fast "attack". Both are predominatly used for playig with the right hand fingers (pima), w/o a pick.
    I use myWashburn Acoustic (steel string) to accompany songs, Cordoba 40R to play my classical pieces and a hand made Spanish Flamenco for Flamenco music.
    Hope this helps

11. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

wow...thats awesome.

12. cronix

cronix New Member

Koooooool!!!! Nice gear man:rock:

13. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member

Thanks Cronix. But it's not the gear. Like they say "a fool with a tool is still a fool". It's hours of practice n dedication. I spend an average of 2 hours a day and 5 on weekends.