whats high and low end guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rocking_devil, Oct 20, 2005.

1. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hey all,, can any one tell me what exactly is a high and low end guitar?!....is it something gotta do with the sound?

2. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

dont think so...high-end and low-end basically reflect the features...high-end means the best one....low-end means..tuchcha...nalla brand...i guess its the same for guitars..

ppl often use high-end nd low-end for PCs

3. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

^^ ok isee!

4. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

but better let experienced ppl comment....i might be wrong on this

5. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

..@ the wiz....ur suwhat correct....

the expresions high end and low end are not only used for guitars but for many things like cellphones, tv's ,cars etc..

it simply relates 2 prices....
    like high end means.....a very costly guitar...
    and low end means a cheap 1

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

High end guitars will have better parts and workmanship throughout...lower end models will cut cost at all points: cheap wood,pickups,hardware(bridge,knobs etc)...
    In the end all this adds up to better sound and playability and reliability etc....
    then there is the made in USA and made in Asia factor..the former usually carries a higher price tag...and then there are the signature models which sell for insane prices just bcoz that prized signature is there....you also have high-end boutique guitars which are made of exotic woods and have exquisite workmanship: eg..PRS guitars have those lovely bird inlays made of abalone and mother-of-pearl...
    So, there is a lot of difference
    Typical example..compare the American stratocaster and the Squier Stratocaster...

I dont think comparing with electronic items makes any sense..they have added features for added price..here you have the same thing with better parts..in the end it is also a guitar..its not like comparing a 5000/ basic cellphone and a 25000 high end one where you have camera,FM,and whatnot..

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

No even in Electronics, good quality components make a lot of difference. Just buy a local POT and a good one and notice the difference. One of the first mods that Keeley does to his pedals is to throw a lot of cheap components and put good ones in. Make a huge difference.

8. ronnieanand

@Alfons. High end dont exactly mean price. It actually refers to Features and Quality. A low end PRS might be about $900 where as a high end Aria might be about $800. This high end Aria might be even better than the low end PRS for a $100 less. Finally they might translate to money but high end refers to Quality and Features.

9. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

yeah....i forgot 2 type that i meant what ME and the wiz said

10. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

MONEY IS THE NAME OF THE GAME HONEY .......
    U pay more get high end ... u pay low u get low end .. simple as it is ...
    And based on the money u pay .. the quality varies ... Thats it ..

11. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

ahca so this is the whole thing about! ok ok.....k mods close da thread!

12. ronnieanand

Not exactly. Pay $1000 and you get a crappy Les Paul. Pay $800 and you get a real high end Schecter C1 Classic done with top class materials and with top class workmanship.

But 20K Washing Machines are high end :rock: :rock: :rock:

13. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

ronnie is right, quality of parts used, material quality and workmanship is what counts.

as far as i have seen there is a loose relationship with money. Generally the pricier it is the better it is but thats not always true as ronnie has pointed out. You have to remember that some of these brands that make lower quality goods don't do it because they don't have the ability to make something of high quality, they do it because contractually they are not allowed to do so.

14. jekyll

jekyll Banned

^ isn taht exactly what happens betweeen Epiphone n Gibson?

all their models are alike, infact Epiphone is known as poor mans Gibson

15. rabi_sultan

yes. same with Fender and Squire. They in a way have if you like the blueprint from the parent company to build that guitar to the USA standard spec, but because they will be selling cheaper they are contractually not allowed to have a product better than the real thing itself.

16. shak

shak Harrr!

and do you know how they manage to do that? ...
    epis are made by the company samick ... and legend has it that samick have their factories in south east asia ... (ooOOoo) .. while gibbies are made by those fat money eating, lard scrubbing capitalists .. down in nashville (i think or is it montana?) ..
    epis use a 2mm wood veneer to figure their tops .. while gibbies use thick half inch maple slabs .. (ooOOoo) ... both use the basic gibson stock pickups but still these small differences make a huge difference in how different they sound like (talk about my slick use of grammar eh!)

17. rabi_sultan

montana i think. they moved out of their factory in nashville a very long time ago, koombakaru or some weird name like that.

18. high end guitars are usually more expensive ones have excellent quality having body of good quality woods. like the locally made ones givson and ibanez,fender are examples of low and high end guitars.