What to see buying Acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by xan, May 19, 2007.

1. xan

xan New Member

Hello I wanna buy new acoustic guitar.Which company should i prefer.and What should i check for getting best guitar?

Regards,
    Xan

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You should play it before purchasing.
    :grin:
    As simple as that.

Brands like Yamaha, Fender, Ovation are pretty good in build quility, and will ensure hassle free operation year after year.
    But they are pricey.

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

First play it and listen to it. If you like the feel of the fretboard and the sound, proceed.

Just look down the neck of the guitar keeping it flat like you'd look down a gunsight and check if the neck is warped in an obvious way.

Play every fret on every string of the guitar and check the sound...if any of the frets gives you a buzzing or a squeaky sound, ask them if they can fix it.

Check the intonation. i.e.- notes at intervals of 12 frets of the same string should sound the same (or close anyway). It might help if you have a tuner with you on this one. If the intonation is screwed up, ask them to fix it.

I think that should be a decent way of checking for a good piece. I personally don't do the neck think but I think I will when Im buying for myself. I'll probably be going to Furtados tomorrow to buy one.

4. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

the two people who posted before me,can give u the best advice, but still

let me tell u
    1- set out a budget
    2- set out and minimun ams maximum budget,(like i'll buy a guitar for 1200 but if it's real gud i may spend 2000)

3- check out the local shops,( don't buy just see. trying dosen't cost u)
    4- find the best bargain
    5- check out the guitar
    6-check for manufacturing defects
    7-short list the guitars
    8- find the best one

9- pay the bill and take the best guitar home.

and better take some other player with u(ek se bhale do).

!!!and don't decide in a hurry!!!

money dosent grow on trees and also "a thing of beauty is a joy forever"

5. xan

xan New Member

Hey thanx alot stuff. I will go with you three

6. baadshah

baadshah New Member

If this is your first guitar, the most important thing is the sound. It's the sound thats gonna keep you interested in playing it. If you're upgrading, research into the brand of the guitar. Sometimes spending a little extra money for a more recognized brand is an investment in a better warranty and better craftsmanship. Depending on where you live, you can pick up some good Japanese or North American branded guitars (like epiphone, or seagull).

I just bought a new guitar and it was fairly pricey (Simon and Patrick, $800 CAD). Once you start playing for a while, you start to recognize the qualities that are important for your instrument to possess. For me, the first thing was the craftsmanship. Simon and Patrick is hand crafted and made in Canada with nothing but the best materials. Buying a guitar with good craftsmanship prevents from you having to get it serviced or repaired until you really wear it in. The quality of the wood was also important. Make sure you get a solid top guitar, they age with time to produce a warmer, more fuller sound. The aesthetics are also important. I am planning to keep my guitar for at least the next fifteen years (it doesnt sound too long but trust me it is for a guitar) and its gotta look as good as it sounds. Take every aspect into consideration and make sure the people who you buy it from set the guitar to the way you want (ie: the action, or height of the strings from the frets, etc). Good luck! and take your time, like the other guys said. It took me 3 months to pick out my first guitar and 6 months for my S&P. if you plan to get serious with guitar, also look into acoustics with pickups (commonly known as acoustic/electrics). here's my baby...https://www.simonandpatrick.com/vintageburstcwcedar.htm