What to Practice?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by access2vivek, May 1, 2018.

1. access2vivek

access2vivek New Member

Hello everyone. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

I am an intermediate level Guitar player with basic knowledge of open and barre chords. I have the ability to play any melody that I hear. I have been practicing the instrument for more than 4 years now but without much growth.

I want to take my skills to the next level. I don't know what to practice. I have been doing scales drills but they don't seem to help much. I want to be able to find chords, make music or just transcribe songs with melody, bass and chords separately.

Any advice would be great. Thank you in advance.

2. fever_gallore

fever_gallore New Member

I think you should prepare for Trinity college Rock and Pop exam Grade 1.

I have just started preparing for the same as I have a background similar to yours.

You can have a look at the syllabus online. More than anything else this will keep you focused.

3. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Going for the Trinity course is absolutely useless unless you really want to waste your time doing that. There is absolutely no gain from that course if you end up quitting that in the middle.
    Rather get your scales right first and start jamming on the backing tracks or backing chords and learn to move around freely on the neck and create melodies on the fly. If you ain't able to do that please don't call yourself an intermediate player. There is a long way to go and there is more than just learning songs played and created by others.

4. Wasim.Jv

Wasim.Jv New Member

Please help me with the learning plan. I want to practice beginners scale, where should i start? thank you in advance!

5. Priusand

Priusand Member

I need this too, please.