What sets the Fender Strat apart ???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by apratim.mitra, Nov 19, 2004.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Steve uses Ibanez, agreed. Vai owns a Fender Stratocaster which is his personal favourite. Check out the Steve Vai website. Fender strats initially became popular with the bold new looking design of the body (back in those days) and also introduced a tremelo arm which people could use to get some wierd vibratos. That made them really popular. If you notice most of the guitar now a days have borrowed their design from the Fender Stratocaster shape. Even the Ibanez Jem or whatever still has a Strat kinda body shaped plus it's own wierd things. Strats and Les Pauls are two most versataile guitars on earth. You can use them to play Jazz, Blues, Rock and Metal. Has that mellow sound to a nice solid crunch. Many Strat users have made a revolution with their music like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ritchie Blackmore, Joe Walsh, Yngwie Ofcourse. All these guys played a variety of music using Fender and that's good enough to call them versataile.
    If you think Fender Strat is overrated, then it's as overrated as Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    Most guys try out a $200 cheap Fender or Squier Strat and wanna throw comments on a Fender's worth.

2. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

Hey buddy cool down ... true that Fender Strats started off the whole rock revolution thing ... but they are not quite as versatile as some of the other guitars of the present day even u will agree ... neway the thread is all about why the strat is rated as high as it is ... and i guess you have pretty much answered that question ...

:rockon:

3. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Nice summary of the history of the fender dude:)

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Ronnie and Rabi are Fendered.. :).. Which i respect...

5. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Well said.

6. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i find this very interesting. in rock forums,
    it is usually Les Paul vs Fender Strat discussion.

here it is essentially a strat vs super strat discussion.. :)

its like sub-sects fighting it out :)
    from a sound engineer's point of view
    the advantage of the strat and the super strats (jacksons and ibanezs and what nots)is that their timbre is so thin, that one can layer and daisy chain multiple effects .

But if u want the classic rock sound, nothing can beat the sound of directly pluggin in a les paul (or SG) into a marshal head.

one thing apart from the pickups, the timbre mainly comes from the wood and construction of the guitar. Which is what sets the Les Pauls apart fomr the strats and superstrats.

Jay

7. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

I would go for a Super strat.. LOL :p:

8. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

can't believe i didn't see this thread earlier :D

Strats compared to the other Fender range are one of the most versatile guitars, also I would put the Strat and LP together in what they can offer in terms of versatility except the Strat holds the crunchy dirty metallic blues sound (which almost all metal bands hate btw) compared to the warmer richer and fuller (tone) sound that the LP offers (which is what a lot of hard rock bands like). For metal players they want something that has more tone so they go for Ibanez.

You'll never have a metal player playing a guitar in the Blues/Jazz style for metal music and so the Fender Strats are useless for them. (this is not a hard and fast rule but a very general one there are exceptions to this)

I personally am sick of opinions voiced by ppl like Dr S who say Strats are rubbish and LPs are way better. They aren't. All guitars are good. Fender USA is as good as Gibson USA and vice versa they just offer different sounds so at the end of the day its all personal taste.

However the difference between a Fender Squire, Fender Mexican and Fender USA is a lot.

My personal favorite is a Fender Mustang and i wished i owned one. I came down to this decision after trying a lot of guitars https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=2106 I'd appreciate anyone that likes Gibsons/Ibanez etc to complete that guide for those companies. I never really like those guitars so even though I've played them i feel that its not fair for me to leave my opinion on those as some people may think i'm being bias towards Fenders lol

9. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

i agree, at the end of the day, its all personal taste.

10. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

Heh .. Jakson Boy ;)
    same here :D

by the way ... ....::::[ WellCOme back IGT ]::::....

11. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

@rabi_sultan: I completely agree with you. I find strats useless while playing metal but for playing Mark Knopfler kinda bluesy-rock songs, nothing beats a Strat.

12. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

stick a humbucker in the bridge and a floyd rose on a strat and u got metal, i have seen people play metal with strats! iron maiden guys played strats

13. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

A strat into a marshall is also a classic rock sound! :p:

14. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

U mean A strat ina vintage marshall is a classic sound. No way are you going to get that sound from the MG series.

15. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

Yes Iron maiden's Dave Murray plays Fenders but they are all custom fenders. A whole different world.
    And also 2 Custom Jacksons.
    And all guitars are fitted with Seymour Duncan, Jeff Beck or Di Marzio super distortion pickups and Floyd Rose tremolo systems.

However Iron maidens other lead guitarist plays an
    Ibanez Destroyer
    Gibson Les Paul
    Gibson SG
    Lado 2003 Earth With Rocking Tremolo
    Lado 2001 Earth With Floyd Rose Tremolo
    Dean Baby ML
    Charvel With Floyd Rose Tremolo
    Hamer Scarab With Kahler Tremolo

16. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

Adrian Smith uses Jackson.. rather Used to use..

17. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

well the minute you change the pickups you could start playing metal with a Givson :p:

18. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

The Yamaha is better than the fender squier strat.

19. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

I will totally agree ... in fact the Yamaha PAcifica is better than the Ibanex GRX40 as far as the tone and the pickups go ... :rock:

20. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

INdian Ibanez's Are bad.. But the us ones Rock.. Ive seen many here..