What sets the Fender Strat apart ???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by apratim.mitra, Nov 19, 2004.

1. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

Hi guys ...

I am very curious to know why Fender Stratochaster is still considered to be one of the best guitars in the world even after being around for almost half a century ... i have very limited experience in handling electric guitars of different makes ... and hence would like to know why even today many guitarists prefer Fender Strat over other contemporary models like Ibanez,Kramer, etc,etc .... i would really appreciate it if someone could tell me the strong points of each of these makes over the others ...

cheers :rock:

2. Gretsch

Gretsch New Member

Strats are a very versatile guitar, which is one of the main reasons they are so popular. You can pretty much nail any type of sound you want with them, and it will do a great job of it.

Strats aren't my personally favourite guitar but saying this, nothing else springs to mind as to what is more versatile.

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Strats are people who know strats.. Not for me.. :p:

4. Lizard_King

Lizard_King New Member

in my humble opinion....i dont think its got anything to do with versatility mate.....strats use single coils......so way ur getting anywhere else with that rather than that phat distinctive tone that u get from them....which btw many top guitarists dig...and that is one of the tones that caused what i like to call the "rock revolution" with the Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Mark Knopler, Jimi Hendrix, etc etc...

Both fenders and les pauls have their own specific tones....which are different from each other.....due to their pickups tailor-made to precise specs...n this is probably what guitar gods are constantly on the look out for...they are classics!

If u want versatily...i'd probably say PRS..

Look at it this way.....of course strats have been around for ages....thats doesnt make them obsolete, does it? on the other hand, that makes the guys from fender more experienced! hence they make even better guitars.....n the advantage of Fenders (USA ones) over the those u've mentioned is the way they are made.....they dont come from some dodgy factory from the far east (well maybe ibanez excluded...to a certain extent)....all are hand made in the USA by the worlds best luthiers...

5. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I think Strats are overrated. Good guitars but in my opinion overrated.

6. i dont know coz i havent played one..
    but it sounds great in those damn records of mine..

7. Lizard_King

Lizard_King New Member

I have played a USA strat before....although i dont own one (unfortunately)....and i kinda liked em....althought not my favorite....they're good in their own way i guess.....and lets not forget that the tone of those guitar legends doesnt only depend solely on their guitar.....they're got a whole arsenal of gear....n finally they've got themselves too....:p

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

Strats are overrated...its just that when people think of electric guitar a strat is what flashes in front of their eyes....so boo hoo.....
    i played a strat once...and man i hated it...ibanez definately has better sound...compared to a strat....
    if u wanna ask me..LPs rock....they are the best guitars for the money they cost

9. apratim.mitra

its in the pickups

Isn't that because of the single coil pickups of the fender as compared to the humbuckers of Ibanez ??

neway i think one of the reasons for the popularity of the strat is its characteristic sound ( Yngwie and Eric Johnson use strats remember ;) ) ... whether u like it or not the fact remains ...

:rockon:

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

even ibanez has single coils....the ones i played were single coils....agreed that yngwie uses a strat..but..his is a custom made strat.....
    satriani and vai use ibanez..how do u beat that........
    slash,knopfler,buckethead,robert finck,zappa, townshed,bob marley all used LPs beat that...;)....
    see...when it boils down to it...its ur choice....
    if u ask me what sets the strat apart? the answer is nothing....strat isnt a class apart...
    its ordinary...common....
    laters..

11. apratim.mitra

Ok I get it :)

not that i am the biggest fan of fenders ... in fact quite the contrary ;)
    Which was the point of my question ?? Why does fender have that kind of popularity when there are a lot of more versatile guitars around ...

btw you left out Zakk Wylde on that list of guitarists using LPs ... :)

12. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

ever heard of jimmy page, randy rhoads,zakk wylde etc....?

and man, knopfler and townshed use strats more that LPs..... even jimmy page started using strats later on
    also jimi hendrix, david gilmour, jeff beck, eric clapton,john frusciante, eric johnson, george harrison, SRV and countless of other players use strats.....

and comparing an ibanez to a strat is stupid they are very different guitars, and why would millions of guitar companies copy the strat design if it sucked???

13. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^ exactly...
    ive noticed most of the ibanez bodies are strat styled..

@dr.saurabh----only thing custom abt yngwie strat is that it has dimarzio pickups and the necks are scalloped..rest of his guitar is totally stock..
    dr.saurabh --have u even played a fender strat??

i havent played a fender strat nor have i played a gibson les paul..
    i have played only copies till now....

14. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

I own a copy of the Strat and i like it, not great, but good enough.

15. apratim.mitra

I have played a Fender Squier strat ... and nowadays i am playing a Yamaha Pacifica which is also modelled on the strat ... not quite to every detail but its close ... and the pickups are really good ... as it has a humbucker and 2 single coils ...

16. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

i own a copy of Strat too and i like it, great, and good enough.

17. 6String_assasin

the only problem comes when you want to use a strat to play metal..

my reply came on the second page :mad:

18. apratim.mitra

lol :)

u got that exactly right ... and that is where a humbucker's true power kicks in ... :rock:

:rockon:

19. 6String_assasin

my strat has a humbucker..though i think it can do better..

20. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Start with HUmbucker?? STRANGE aint it??