What r u Playin these days !!!

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by mermaid, Feb 28, 2012.

1. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

Btw, to the real point of this thread, I recently tried playing one of my favorite songs: Dire straits - Romeo and Juliet. I quit after the first beat because I wasn't even remotely sounding like the song (I used guitar pro for the accurate tabs). I managed to get around 3 seconds of playing close to original. How many here have tried/played it? Did you find it difficult?

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Play it exactly like it is? No but I will within the next month. Earlier, I never felt the need to and now I probably can't. I saw a great video on youtube that shows how to play it....let me know if you want a link to it or something.

It's a difficult song. I think it looks deceptively simple...especially if you see him play it live. Mark Knopfler is one of my heroes and a huge musical influence. Also, I keep meaning to rep alpha1 for having a song by him in his sig but i can't be bothered.

3. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

i guess sarcasm isn't something that can (or should) be taught at schools..

4. horsesmouth

Yes, playing exactly like the song, esp. when its a difficult one, gives a great feeling. A link to play it would be great.
    Its a really difficult song to play just using guitar pro.
    Which song in alpha1's sig are you talking about btw? He has changed it now.

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Who better than the master? The tuning for the song is different from standard though....but it becomes way simpler when you play it this way.

Knopfler teaches Romeo and Juliet - YouTube

I had a better link but I can't find it right now...I'll search for it from work! and the song alpha1 had was Once upon a time in the west and now he lost his reputation. I hope he is happy.

6. horsesmouth

Whooa, its much better. Thanks!
    Knopfler, he's gotten old man. I knew, but never thought of him like that, grayed and bald. He's still a god though.
    Hats off to him for this piece.

bjr likes this.
  7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I remember seeing that Knopf plays using his fingers.

... even the hero gets a bullet in the chest ...

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
    Haha, somehow I love that song more than others.

bjr likes this.
  8. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I love the lyrics to that one! Sitting on a fence, that's a dangerous ploy!

actually, most of his songs have great lyrics....The lyrics on Money for Nothing are often sidelined because of the great riff it starts with. Or even the ones that are good in a more mainstream way...brothers in arms or romeo and juliet. Personally, I love the cynicism in most of his songs/lyrics...when I started out listening to Dire Straits, I thought Mark was a great guitarist who couldn't sing but now I'd kill to be able to sing like that.

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

What I intensely dislike is how some people have sarcasm listed as a language they speak on facebook...oh dear god, how lame can you get. It's like saying "I'm cool, bro!"

10. horsesmouth

spell it like 'kewl'
    now that's called gathering new heights:
    Boy to Girl: Hey, be my friend, I'm very kewl.

11. horsesmouth

I started off with finger-picking and found it the best way to play comfortably. Then I moved on to normal plectrum style because I wanted to sound loud.
    Once upon a time in the west: That's a new song to try. Downloading...

He has a good deep voice many people have taken inspiration from. And I haven't heard many songs, just this and Sultans of swing (which I didn't like very much, seemed like the band's praising themselves, but it has some good guitar in it)
    Romeo and Juliet I love for its every aspect. The same subject is normally expressed pretty sadly by most other lyricists.

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Sultans of Swing tells you the story of a band that has a regular gig at a small club that few ever come to...and how they've probably made their peace with how they're never really going to be famous, and they sit there and do their thing and nobody really cares. They are probably really good at playing the music they love....but it's older music and not popular any more and so they don't make it in the scene but they still do it on Friday nights. One of them's got a day time job, the other can't afford to buy a good guitar etc. etc.

There's cynicism laced in most of his lyrics. If you like Romeo and Juliet, you should try out these songs as well by Dire Straits:

Love Over Gold (I'm sure you'll love this)
    Brothers in arms
    On Every Street
    Communique

and my personal favourite:

Your Latest Trick (which has some of my favourite lyrics as well)

13. horsesmouth

Oh, is it? I never thought of the lyrics that way. I'll give it another listen with this new point of view. I always thought he was saying about how good he is, and how good others are in his band...I never actually gave a good ear to it.
    The other songs, I'm on them...
    And Once upon a time in the west...is okayish, not too good...

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

A little late but I just learnt to play Romeo and Juliet a week ago :p

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

So we need a video, else it didn't happen.

16. mermaid

mermaid New Member

Gr8 so v should get a chance to hear it :)

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

haha not a video but here goes. I live on a noisy bylane so you'll hear car horns. Also, a crow decided to give me backups so I left that in as well. I haven't played it perfectly but I will in the near future since I want to record the whole song.

https://rapidshare.com/files/1733766204/Romeo and Juliet.mp3

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

5-10 years down the line you are gonna beg again for your recordings ...
    Why don't you maintain a soundclick/soundcloud/etc account? (and keep the stuff there permanently)

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

psh, I do have a soundclick page for recent recordings but this one isn't worth keeping.

20. wylder

wylder Member

Sweet cover, bjr!!!

The notes sound pretty accurate. Maybe timing could be improved a bit with practice?

Looking forward to the whole song recording...