What picks to use???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Evo Guy 911, Feb 1, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Hey listen. Picks are not that expensive, right? Why dont you buy a bunch of Dunlops of gauges .46-1 mm and experiment with whichever works best for you? Total cost ~100 bucks:)

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

i know you get more then 3 guages of tortex.

copy pasted from the tortex site:

Tortex® gauges correspond to these millimeters/colors unless otherwise noted: .50-Red, .60-Orange, .73-Yellow, .88-Green, 1.0-Blue, 1.14-Purple, 1.35-Black, 1.5-White.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/products/picks/products/tortex/

ok this is what i advise:

buy a few different picks. i reccomend 1.14 purple and .88 greens. try both. use whichever you are more comfortable with. if you practice with a pick, your picknig will get better and noise will reduce. it does't matter which pick you use. that's just personal choice. but in general, people find it easier to strum with a light pick because it flows over the strings with less resistance so you can strum faster and easily. and people prefer heavier picks when they want to play solos beacuse that gives more control and allows you to accentuate notes as you choose more easily. thats the basics of it. still - jsut use whatever you like. if you play for long enough with it - you'll get used to it and you'll be able to do pretty much everything with it.

3. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Thanks DeathDr, but ur a little late. I found the sense of going to Dunlop site this morning. :) Well u summed up why i need advise on different picks. But therez a major problem here. I live in Lahore, and u cant find any kinda real branded shit in here. All u got is ordinary "Alice" branded picks with the stupidest colour themes imaginable, and crappiest tips known to guitarists. Price? Rs. 50 each!!! For Dunlops, I have to get em imported, and i cannot import 1 single pick from anywhere. They come in dozens, and i dont wana end up with something that was not worth the hassle. So im asking for advice of those who have stuff at hand, and can tell me better. Peace

4. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Guyz can anyone get me Dunlop Tortex Jazz picks???? I need em. Anybody vounteer, plz PM me.

5. abhijitnath

bajaoo.com sells Jazz IIIs. Dunno if they ship to Lahore.

6. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

^^ Dude that site is probably down. Not working here. Suggest some other local site. Thanks for ur help man!

7. abhijitnath

Its working fine. https://www.bajaao.com
    It is a local Indian site. music123.com ships everywhere I think..but the cost of shipping will be 10 times thecost of picks.:)

8. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

Man! :shock: The Alice brand comes at Rs15 in Kolkata.

9. abhijitnath

What is the Pak rupee/INR exchange rate? I don't think its 1:1

10. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

listen EVO GUY, for your lead try jim dunlop stubby 3mm, should improve speed and get you creamy picking, not very expensive, got loads of them but you are in lahore and me in bombay. stubbies are these almost transparent blue picks come in various thickness, get what suits u best. as for rhthym, i use the same pick serves me well.....try it