What picks to use???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Evo Guy 911, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Hi ppl! Plz recommend me what picks (PICKS! Plectums. Not pick-ups) to use for strumming and soloing on my acoustic guitar. Reply fast thanks. Also tell me what guage strings are better for multipurpose playing, i mean for both strumming and soloing. Waiting

2. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

i guess 1.7 mm picks should do.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I find 1.5mm plectrum to be good for strumming as well as playing "leads"

4. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Dude I need brands. Im using Dunlop Jazz III 2.0mm for lead playing, but im confused abt strumming pick. WHAT? Use a 1.5mm for strumming on acoustic? Dude, i know im not toooo experienced, but even I know that strumming pick shoudn't be heavier than 1mm. Gives too much of bass. Plz a bit more experenced suggestions. And I need string guages advice too. I think 12s shud do. Watcha say??

5. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

For strumming rhythm patterns, Dunlop 0.7 Nylons should be perfect. And yeah, 12s are fine unless you're going to do a lot of bending.but why would you do that on an acoustic? I used to play with 13s on my acoustic.

Evo Guy 911 likes this.
  6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Am not a great supporter of branded goods.
    Insanely expensive.

b.t.w. What is the prob wth too much of bass? (And thick plectrum also produces a good trebly twang)

I like it that way.

7. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

thanks man! I owe u one. Reps ur way

8. abhijitnath

Where does one get good unbranded picks, except the crappy mulitcoloured things you get in shops? I'd switch right away if I can get unbranded Jazz IIIs..which incidentally I see are available at Bajaao..Rs 33 for a set of 6. But why would he deliver just a single set to me?
    The issue with using too thick picks for rhythm is that you'll get huge pick attack when micing your guitar and also it's slightly muddier. But it's personal preference.
    As an aside: Am I hallucinating, or do red jazz IIIs sound different from the black ones? I tried to play red ones the other day and it sounded much 'plinkier' and I just wasn't comfortable with them somehow. Anyone else with the same problem? And does what I'm saying make any sense?

9. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Dude we need dominant higher notes when we are playing unplugged n chilling out. Controlled bass is the trick. U can get loud bass with a light pick, but can hardly get a light bass with heavy plectum. It comes with time. And my voice is not very powerful either to dominate the guitar! Hope u get this point ;)

alpha1 likes this.
  10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

________
    Ok
    :)

11. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

@ abhi: Dude whats plinkier???? and plz explain "unbranded Jazz IIIs".

Yea reds are assumed to be a bit smoother than blacks. Do reds have any luster on em? Coz blacks have kinda matt finish to em.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

PS: Abhijith, 33 for 6 is mighty cheap.

I was talking about Steve Vai custom crap plectrums that will be around $5 per piece.
    :phbbt:
    Ofcourse If you can afford such stuff then very good.

13. abhijitnath

By plinkier I meant that the notes ae more treble heavy and the attack is less substantial. And yeah, the finish was not matt but more glossy than the black one.By unbranded jazz IIIs I mean tif any manufacturer can sell me JAzz IIIs without the Dunlop brand name at very low prices, I would buy them without caring for it.
    @alpha1-$5 for a pick is insane!! BTW you get free (but very crappy) plectrums with the new Santana CD..whatay gimmick!

14. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

U mean they wud be actual Jazz IIIs, manufactured for Dunlop, only u get em before they are sent to Dunlop to be stamped and sold as DUNLOP Jazz IIIs. Dude its great! U said they are available for 33 for a 6-pieces set? What site? Dude ur insane sitting here telling others abt it. Go grab a bagful of em!

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Thats an online store.

They use a domestic cargo transporter to send its items.

Rs 33 for 6 plectrum
    + Rs 100 or 200 for transport.

:phbbt:

16. abhijitnath

Yeah I know. Which is why I havent bought it from them.
    Which store owners run it? Bhargava or SB? I've forgotten..

17. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

:shock:
    didn't knoe there was so much science involved in guitar picks>

18. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Dude u'll be surprised if u found out how much science is involved in lead pencils!!!

19. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

What 1.5mm and 1.7mm picks being suggested for Acoustic Guitar. It's gonna be horrible to play like that. Use a .68mm to .8mm and preferably nylon. You can try Planet Waves or Jim Dunlop. Planet Waves are good too. Nice, smooth ones and has a firm grip too.

20. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

I don't go on measurements. Simply use a thin plectrum for strumming and a thicker one for playing leads and a more thicker and harder one for bass guitars, thats the way I look at it. I use a Givson one for strumming which cost me Rs 4/- and I like the way Ernie Ball plecs do the job of strumming.