what is the difference between classical guitars & acoustic guitars

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by pure_angel, Jun 14, 2005.

1. pure_angel

pure_angel New Member

what is the difference between classical guitars & acoustic guitars?
    are nylon strings and steel string really make distinction?
    i have guitar has three nylon strings... in my friends guitar he have steel strings instead...
    when u play chords, nylon strings give different sound than steel ones?

thanks

Basit

2. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

One of my friend has nylon strings but he does not change the way chords are played on acoustic guitar.

3. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

yes, nylon strings give a warmer tone.
    not all are nylon strings only 4,5,6 are nylon
    1,2,3 are brass strings.
    that apart...NEVER EVER use steel strings on a nylon guitar, nylon guitars do not have a tuss rod in the neck to resist the stress exerted on the neck by nylon strings, and the use of steels strings will bend the neck.
    most people prefer to use finger picking with classical guitar

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Yeah, agree with the Doc, the bridge and the necks are designed differently, steel strings on classical or vice-versa wont work...
    Classical guitars usually have totally flat and much wider than normal neck...acoustic necks are not that wide and have lower radius for easy chord playing.The tuners are different too.
    Steel string acoustics have that characteristic bright chang chang sound...classical guitar is more mellow and normally fingerpicked.

5. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

can i use nylon strings on ma acoustic....its an f cut originally wid steel strings.....

@doc....u gt ne clue how much does a set of nylon stings cost at furtados....

6. pure_angel

pure_angel New Member

but i have tuss rod in guitar neck... & it has lower radius of neck... not much wider aswell... but it have 3 nylon strings... can i replace nylon strings with steel ones?... nylons strings are better or steel ???????...

thanx

basit