What is Rectifier?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by ambush, Sep 19, 2007.

1. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

is it trade name of the mesa boogie amp
    or is it some kind of effect.........

2. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

you know google helps a lot if you are just willing to type.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Rectifier is a simple and stupid device which converts ac signal to dc signal. (and overrated among tube amp snobs)

The Rectifier that you see on Mesa's is a snob statement that "my amp has a tube based rectifier" rather than the usual diode-based rectifier.

HOWEVER, rectifier has got very less if anything to contribute to the gain and clipping - hence, the tone of the amp.

4. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

You calling us snobs? We got a problem here lad!

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I was calling Mesa Boogie blokes as snobs.
    If you bought it beacuse of t00b rectifier, then you are also included :p

6. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

Not to be a dick, but most bands that use Rectifiers actually sound good. And they do sound good....It's got the chugga chugga ssound. If i ever bought an amp, that would be it too.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If you buy a Mesa for its tone, then you aint being a dick, in anyone's opinion. It does have bone crunching grind.

Yazi, you ever tried doing a MT-2 into Mesa Recto?
    Cannibal corpse is supposed to gets its ultra-brewtal metal tone doing that.

8. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I aint got an MT 2 but will try that. Dun listen to Cannibal Corpse at all. But the other day I nailed the 'I'm Broken'(pantera) tone with it w/o any external aid!

9. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

The reason i asked i cause i read about getting rectified sounds....is it just about matching the mesa, or does the tube rectifier add something to the distortion.

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Is it clear now?