what is a capo

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Dido, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Dido

Dido New Member

hi , i have 2 questions,
    1. What is a capo, and what is its purpose.
    2. How do you play chord like G#7 ( 464544) and same type chord like F# 244322 and similar chords.

2. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

1. capos are used to attach to the fretboard to provide a barre for u to play from... i have never needed to use one...

2.use ur index finger as a bar. it'll need a lot of practice at first but after a while bar chords become the simplest thing to play... for the chords u mentioned, u dont need a capo. ur fingers will do.

3. Resha

Resha New Member

^ Easy for you to say xP I find barrs really hard... *patpats fingers* My index finger can't stay straight, seriously...

4. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

Get a hammer and straighten it ;)

if your finding problems just keep trying, or else take a look at Eric Clapton's grip on his barre chords, he basically brings his thumb to hold either the top or top 2 strings and uses his four fingers to hold down either four or five strings (depending on the chord).

5. Myth_Pharoah

Myth_Pharoah New Member

EW... that's ugly!

Barre chords are damned hard I agree, but if you try them often enough you'll get them easily enough later on. My bars often, even now manage to give a dead 2nd string, but its becoming better, the trick is to find the sweet spot where your fingers don't pain much and hold all the strings easily enough. I read an article somewhere about this don't remember. You have the put the side line of your finger to barre it, not the front face, this doesn't only help holding other strings better but also barre's better.

6. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

its not neceesary to use hai capo in G#7
    i guess buddy
    use a good actioned guitar
    practice hard like a junooni :p
    and make ur fingers strong

7. while playing bar chords..keep the thumb of ur left hand behind the neck...not around it..
    keeping it behind the neck while playin bar chords will give support ..
    hope this helps a little..try it for ur self

8. Lizard_King

Lizard_King New Member

yeah...some people call it "the claw".....i.e position ur thumb at the dead center behind the neck so as to provide maximum pressure to the strings on the fretboard by the rest of ur fingers.

the reason why beginners find barre chords especially hard to play is because 1. most of the time they start off on lower quality guitars wiv not so good action n strings....2. their fingers aint used to switching between the different chord shapes......

well the best advice would be not to worry too much about it....try to get better at switching to and from barre chords by practising a hell of a lot and not worrying about whether it doesnt sound all that good. and when u can finally switch between chords comfortably, try getting a better sound out of it.....a better guitar might help too... :p ....

9. -Nemesis-

-Nemesis- New Member

I got my F right the first time I played it.. -_-
    Lol =)
    So No problems for me with Barre Chords :)

10. amitrichardxess

amitrichardxess New Member

i don't like capo......yaak