what is a bend??

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by bb14nick, Sep 25, 2006.

1. bb14nick

bb14nick New Member

hi.......
    i was doing "let it be" when i came upon the tab.......

---------15 br-------
    and
    -----------7b9--
    waht do day mean???
    thanks

2. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

|-------------| 1st String
    |---7b(9)-----| 2nd String
    |-------------| 3rd String
    |-------------| 4th String
    |-------------| 5th String
    |-------------| 6th String

While a bend can be played up or down, it is recommended that you play it upward. Any finger can be used to perform a bend but the best finger to use is your 3rd finger. Using your 3rd finger will allow you to use your 2nd finger to assist your 3rd finger.

1. Place your 3rd finger on the 7th fret of the 2nd string.
    2. Place your 2nd finger on the 6th fret of the 2nd string.
    3. Pick the string.
    4. Immediately after picking the string push (bend) the string upwarded keeping your 3rd finger pressing down. The second finger helps out by pushing upward too.
    5. Once you bend to the note you want to achieve, bend the string back down to it's normal position.

3. jozko

jozko Banned

^ well explained SG1, thought u missed the 'release' part details

'br' means bend (b) and then (r) release reversing the finger/s (ones on neck of guitar) motion

sometimes the release may not be immediate, it might come after playing some other notes or it could be missing altogether as in sultans of swing solos

7b9 means bend at fret 7 until note raises in pitch and reaches pitch of note at fret 9 i.e., a tone/step high. Notice that release is not mentioned here.

these r as i undertood. One thing i hate about forums like IGT is that people like me start to teach. I have seen some forums where not all can teach.

4. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

Its A Free World Jozy :)
    Teach Learn .. Rock And Roll!!

5. vini

vini Repeat Offender

great explanations!
    achha..i wanted to ask..is bending meant for acoustic guitaring too? i mean..playing leads on acoustic

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Yes of course!
    There is no restriction.

However, higher tension on acoustic strings will not permit you to bend too much though :p:

Bends are usually not used in Flamenco and classical styles.