what guitar to buy ...plz help me out

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by PrettyPinkGrl, Mar 8, 2005.

1. PrettyPinkGrl

PrettyPinkGrl New Member

hi everyone,
    i am thinking about buying a new guitar, but i am getting really confused about which one to buy ??? :eek::
    currently i play an acoustic jumbo guitar (Signature... thas the name of the guitar... lol... i guess no one heard of it)...
    the problem with the old guitar is that the bridge has slighlty bended and now its impossible to play anything after the 8th fret... thas why i need a new one.... :annoyed:

i am pretty good at strumming and i can also play tabs quite well...
    i want a guitar that i can use to play in small parties or friendly gatherings... which is also good for trying out kool stuffs (like diff leads)... i am not into heavy metals... although i want to play the kool leads/riffs
    so can anybody advise me... whether i should buy an ELECTRIC guitar or an ACOUSTIC ELECTRIC guitar... which brand should i buy and how much would it cost .... :think:
    i would really appreciate u'r help ... ;)

2. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Try GB&A

Hi,

No point buying an electric if you do not buy a good one and invest in a good amp and effect pedal. Or it will always be an ad hoc thing and you'll end up spending much more upgrading in bits and parts.

After the signature, you should go in for an imported acoustic guitar, in case you can shell out about 1.5 K more, you will get one with an inbuilt pickup and equalizer, so you can do your bit with the electric part too.

I have a Yamaha acoustic, and I have been trying out some guitars for a friend. The yamaha comes for around 8K in bangalore, and a similar GB&A Jumbo model is available here for 4.5 K. The one with the built in pick up and equaliser is about 6.5 K. GB&A I heard make guitars for Yamaha too, and I have found them to be quite good. You will not have the neck bending or the bridge uprooting problems that you normally have in an Indian make guitar.

Try those out, ultimately, you have got to like the feel and sound of the guitar right?

3. shak

shak Harrr!

:i want a guitar that i can use to play in small parties or friendly gatherings:
    this tells me that you need an accoustic guitar, becuase believe me, you dont wanna carry your heavy electric+amp+effects etc. to small parties and friends yards all the time, and accoustic guitars compliment small parties more than electrics.

:which is also good for trying out kool stuffs (like diff leads)... i am not into heavy metals... although i want to play the kool leads/riffs:

this tells me that you need an electric guitar! ... well you can try out new stuff on accoustic and you can play cool riffs on them but electrics are far better than accoustics in this respect.

so i say get yourself a semi-accoustic ... it will give you the tone of accoustic guitar and bling of an electric ... well to some extent..
    i am not sure about the brand ...depends where you live ... if you are not in india ... then definitley try some takamine's or ovations (not all ovations are expensive) takamines should cost somewhere between 150-300 pounds (the low end models) and the cheapest ovation that i have seen was at 109 pounds ..

4. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Good suggestion

Good suggestion Shahrukh, only, here in India 150 sterlings are a hell lot of a money. And the same stuff happens to be more expensive too.

I remember I picked up my Yamaha from Denmark Street in London for £99 inclusive of a nice bag, at the time it was equivalent to INR 7000, and the same stuff has been selling here for INR 8000. I also picked up my Squier standard series for £179 from the same place, and for that price, you don't even get the cheap Squier affinity models here.

So the semi acoustics are a good option for the lady, except she will have to look hard and look far to get a good guitar at a price lesser than a good imported electric combo. So pink and pretty girl, check out both options, keeping an eye on how much you want to spend of course.

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey Pretty Pink Girl,
    Get yourself a nice CD and get a guitar playing boy friend ;) :p:

6. PrettyPinkGrl

PrettyPinkGrl New Member

@sanjivdas & shahrukh
    thanks guys... that was really informative... :rock:
    now i am pretty sure that i am buying an acoustic/electric guitar...
    i was checking out the web and i found sth at the website of Guitarcenter and MusiciansFriend
    -- Takamine EG230 Acoustic/Electric Price $199
    -- Fender DG11E Acoustic/Electric Price $229
    -- Ibanez TCY10 Talman Acoustic-Electric Guitar $209
    -- Ibanez V70CE Acoustic-Electric Guitar Price: $199
    -- Takamine EG-240 Acoustic-Electric Guitar Price : $ 249 (this one is actually gonna cross my budget with the price of Amps)

well i m planning to go to guitar center this evening and check out how they sound.... do u guys have any preference among these???... Or anything else... btw ... i live in Queens, NY
    the Yamaha ones are really expensive... cheapest one was around $400...

@ronnieanand... LOL... i guess i m gonna get a guitar playing bf before buying this guitar... LOL :p: ;)

waiting for u'r replies...

7. shak

shak Harrr!

checked all of them ...
    i think the final three for me would be:
    Takamine EG230
    Ibanez V70CE
    Takamine EG-240 (the over budget one .. but the best one from the list)

i havent tried any of these guitars! .. so i cant say anything about thier tonal qualites and playability but the Takamine EG230 is a mini jumbo guitar, it should give you nice tone and the ibanez v70ce... well i have seen some pro's playing that guitar..so it shouldnt be bad either .. but takamin eg-240 looks best of all..

8. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

9. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

10. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

@ronnieanand: thats bloody ***ist!!! - not like its offending my male chauvenistic pride - but well - its still a bit too ***ist

11. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

if your living in america then its better.

for starters there is no point imho in getting a semi-acoustic guitar. you get either an acoustic or a electric.

now depending on how GOOD your acoustic guitar is then you can play some great licks on the acoustic and i would advise you to get just the acoustic because whats the point of getting a semi-acoustic without the amp?

exactly you may as well get good and then get a pure electric.

an acoustic and an electric:
    https://www.elderly.com/fmic/items/DG8.htm
    https://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-12441.htm - it needs a setup and is missing the tremelo arm which should be replaceable for around $20-30. Find out at guitar centre how much a setup would cost.

if you want a semi-acoustic then try these:
    https://www.elderly.com/fmic/items/STAC-BLUFLR.htm

whatever the case it is read the Guitar Buying Guide in the Beginners Q&A before you make any purchase and remember you should play a lot of guitars before picking your final one.

12. shak

shak Harrr!

wow! .. that stratocoustic is goood! .. a bit girly but goood

13. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

it might be girly but then its for PrettyPinkGrl :p:

14. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey DeathDr,
    It was for fun and she took it cool too. So dont get serious. I didn't even understand what that ***ist means. I dont need to also.

15. PrettyPinkGrl

PrettyPinkGrl New Member

hey guys,
    went to the guitar center today ... and believe me it was a really horrifying experience...why?.... coz i felt like buying all the guitars ... LOL :p:
    anywayz... my bad luck ... they were all sold out of the Takamines i was looking for (as i mentioned above).... instead i got sth that was really amazing....
    i found this IBANEZ AEG10E (Black) ... the problem is it costs $ 299... but then it has built in tuners.. equilizers.. and the black guitar ... with its flat body really looks awesome... :shock:
    i also found a Yamaha FX335 that costs $199... and the Fender DG11E Acoustic/Electric Price $229 .. they both sounded pretty good
    but still the Ibanez seemed great.....
    do i think i should spend a little extra and go for the Ibanez... it seemed pretty good for both personal use and stage performance...
    let me know wat u guys think ??? :think:

16. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

hey prettypinkgirl,
    if u have 300-400$ budget, go for the dean exotica guitar. I own it and it is pretty neat, and looks cool too :), mine is a cool blue, but i have a feeling u will like the flaming red color better :)
    J

17. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

^ those are purty nice.

18. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

wut abt Ovation (acoustic)

costs abt 4000 $

19. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

The Inanez is one of the sweetest acoustics you can get. the bridges on those are designed to last. It's definitely worth buying an Ibanez but the Takamines are not that far behind either.

20. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Also, don't forget to check out some Ovations or the Applause series - good acoustic-electric guitars IMHO.