What electric to buy?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by aparajit 909, Dec 14, 2011.

1. harmonizer

harmonizer The Son of the Moon

i have borrowed it from my senior....as he doesnt use it i dont know why....i dont have that much caliber to buy a M2. btw he imported it from Australia. the amp also belongs to him....i bought only the pedal when he assured that i can keep the guitar as long as i want :) ....so whats the need to buy :):):)

2. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

But the pacifica 112 costs 15k. The vypyr costs 13k. So he'll have to increase his budget. If he cant do that, get the pacifica 012 its 10k in india and get the vypyr 30. Whatever you do dont sacrifice the amp for a better guitar. Amp is more than 3/4 your tone.

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

So when someone is starting to play it's more important he has good tone than a good instrument? Good tone is important, but not important enough to disregard the instrument that is going to be played. With a small budget like that the guitar is more important than the amp.

4. amithkallupalam

Im gonna have to say that I agree and disagree. If someone has a budget of 25k.
    He can either get an okay guitar and a cheap amp or an Okay amp and cheap guitar.
    No matter how good the guitar is, if the amp sucks, the tone will suck and it'll really be noticable, but if he gets a cheap guitar (not givson cheap) that plays well and stays in tune, with an awesome amp, he'll have a tone with good quality and the better the tone, the more you'll feel like playing. No one would want to play with a givson guitar plugged into a stranger distortion pedal plugged into a home theater would they?
    So he can get a Yamaha Pacifica 012 which is a pretty good guitar for its price and a peavey vypyr 30 which is very much better than the the 15 watt. I have a 15 watt vypyr and a yamaha pacifica 012 and I wish I had spent a little more money and gotten the 30 watt model. But the vypyr 15 serves well as a practice amp. Best one around!

5. thehundredthone

The features on the Vypyr 30 cannot be utilised properly without spending the extra 5-7.5k on the footswitch so in effect:
    1. You're asking him to buy a 20k amp.
    2. He can't gig with the amp unless he buys the footswitch.

I have a Laney LX35R and a Zoom 707II, and I've done gigs with them. The tone is very useable.

6. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

i think he should buy a good guitar and an okay amp coz while doing live shows(if he does)...he can use the p.a ....its better to get a pedal or a processor and not a modelling amp...but a normal one ...i think the cleans arent that great in the vypyr...so better to go with a distortion pedal...or a processor...later on he may upgrade...

7. aparajit 909

aparajit 909 New Member

thanks again for the feedback guys... Yes ill be doing shows at school level at least. Vypyr 30's a great amp but, sadly, a little outta my budget. Went to onstage yesterday and tried nearly all they had. Yamaha, jackson, schecter, fender, bc rich and was unable to make up my mind. I need a fixed bridge, no need for whammy. I'm leaning towards yamaha, although schecters were pretty good too!

8. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Schecters i'd say dont buy the omen or the 006 they are a little poor, if you want a schecter get a omen extreme it is a lot better than these. Omen Extreme-6 - Schecter Guitar Research Was around 23k when i last checked.

9. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

ayu135 new signature ...hmmm ;)

10. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Oh Yeah, a guy got to show off his gear, even more if it is new :)

11. amithkallupalam

Dude he's playing metal, and the vypyr 30 isnt 20k, its 13k. Dude if you're doing shows, you'll be practising with a drummer and other instruments. The vypyr 15 starts to break up really bad after its exceeds 5 on the master volume knob. Im sure the vypyr 30 will be loud enough to stay above the drummer without going to maximum volume. Dude trust me. You're gonna be making a big mistake choosing the 15 watt over the 30 watt.
    The only things that cant be utilized without the footswitch is the looper. The 30 watt vypyr has stompboxes and it has the ability to support a sanpera footswitch if later on, you want it and can afford it.

Vypyr 30 all day long.
    Listen, Vypyr 30 + Pacifica 012. Close your eyes and get it. My vypyr 15 kills my friends zoom gfx3 with a 120 watt amp! So imagine the 30w.
    the vypyr 15 doesnt support a sanpera! You wont be able to play live!

12. sameer.888astro

sameer.888astro New Member

bhargavas charge more on each item although their service is not good enough. on stage is very good and also they serve you well. i am his customer since last three years and i am quite happy with them. their is another good place that is raj musicals "patel nagar". cheapest shop in whole delhi i think.

13. thehundredthone

What part of
    Made you say this?
    If your solid state amp is breaking up at 5 on the master volume knob then there's something wrong with your amp or speaker.

I don't oppose your recommendation for the Vypyr 30, but I do oppose your suggestion for a Rs.10k Agathis guitar. No amp can make that sound good.

Really now?

If this is an indirect dig at me, it's not really working.

14. amithkallupalam

Now let me tell you something. Just because a guitar is agathis doesnt mean it wont sound good and all that crap about agathis being a dead tone wood is Bull Sh#t! Agathis is like the cheaper version of mahogany. Dude because its cheap, it doesnt mean the wood sucks. It means the wood is readily available! And Trust me, my vypyr 15 rocks. The vypyr 30 costs 13k in india. Thats the best guitar you can afford in that price range.
    And no its not at you.
    And I meant to say vypyr 30 costs 13000.
    Sorry my amp doesnt break up, there is somethng wrong with the speaker.

15. thehundredthone

So why not a 5k second hand Givson? Then he'll have enough to buy the pedal too. That price bracket is just not good enough for anyone seriously considering guitar. I would be wary of any wood at that price range even mahogany or ash. Low prices are arrived at by cutting corners. Hence I said 10k agathis guitar and not just an agathis guitar.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. Go read my post again. Amp+footswitch=20k. He needs the footswitch to use the effects live.

I'm sure your amp "rocks". I've already said that I don't have anything against your suggestion.

Here's an old saying. There is no point nailing the tone if you can't nail the tune.

16. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

People i dont think he will be playing live for the next six months atleast. This is his first electric he'll need time to master it enough before playing live. In that time he can save up for a sanpera. He doesnt need it immediately.

And i agree with what thehundredthone has to say, the difference between the pacifica 012 and 112 is significant. Say he gets the pacifica 112j and the vypyr he has a budget of 26k, he should stretch it by 2k because frankly the 112 is leagues ahead of 012. Or if he is skilled enough at bargaining he can get both in his current budget, buts lets not base our discussion on that.

17. amithkallupalam

So the ts has a budget of 26k. If he decides to get a pacifica 112 with a vypyr 15 it'll cost him 23k and he's left with 3k. Nothin much to do with that and he wont be able to save up to buy a footswitch because the vypyr 15 doesnt support one.
    And if he doesnt wanna get a pac012, he'll have to increase his budget 3k to afford a vypyr 30w model. And then later on he can add a sanpera 2. If he gets the 15w version he wont be able to get a sanpera or will he be able to use the stompboxes feature.
    So if his budget was around 29k.
    Yamaha Pacifica 112J - 15.5k
    Vypyr 30 - 13.5k

Thats the only way around this and he'll have to buy the sanpera sometime later.

18. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

I think that 3k increase will be well worth it, even if it means waiting a month before buying. Because if you(the op) will buy the vypyr 15 now you will surly have to buy a better amp later so infact to save 3k now you will end up paying almost 15-20k more on a new amp later. And same is the case with the guitar, if you get the 012 you will need to upgrade the guitar as your playing improves so you will end up paying double.

19. amithkallupalam

Right, but this is only the case if he's able to increase his budget.

20. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

If he is not i suggest waiting for some time till he can arrange those funds, because he will end up spending almost double later for these 2-3k now.