What electric to buy?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by aparajit 909, Dec 14, 2011.

1. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

@Razor
    Cleans are pretty ok but i wouldnt suggest it for blues and stuff. For metal its right on.
    Some videos demonstrating the metal tone of the vypyr 15. 15 sounds this good, imagine the 30 watt.
    Testing Peavey vypyr 75 6505 settings - YouTube
    Awesomeness man. I actually have a better preset than that on the mesa rec on my vypyr which ill be willing to share with you!

2. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

woo thats ****ing cool...but i guess he's using a 75watt amplifier and not a 15watt...will a 75 watt vypyr sound good as compared to 15...i guess the only difference would be...in 75watt amp you have to increase the gain pretty much high in order to get a good distortion...whereas in 15watt increasing the gain li'll bit will make the guitar roar...

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

It's not a tube amp, and you're not pushing the power stage, so why would you have to turn it up further?

4. amithkallupalam

No actually the vypyr 75 and the 15 are actually the same when it comes to the processor excluding the stompboxes. But still. Much better than any amp you get in 17k, price of the 75w vypyr.

5. Sumanovo razor

ow thats bloody cheap...does it have 2 channels as in distorted and cleans...and howz peavey vypyr tube,valveking...?...will the 75watt amp will have more volume as compared to 15watt....btw which lick is that guy playing...i mean from which song that lick is...any idea???

6. amithkallupalam

I think you should get the 30 watt vypyr which will be 13k in india. Maybe 12.. After that you have 13k left for a guitar. I think the GRG170DX is the only good guitar in that price range.. Or you can save up 3k and buy a yamaha pacifica 012... But I'd get the ibanez. Looks cooler and should play better. I use a pacifica with a vypyr 15 and I love it. I say get the GRG170DX. It is really famous and many people use it. Considering its price, its pretty good and its basswood so you can change pickups later on. The pacifica is good too. Play both and get the one that plays and looks better to you. BTW, if you do ever get those guitars, I suggest you get the red color because its better than black which is way too common.

Ibanez GRG170DX Review

This is how cool it looks.
    My New Ibanez GRG170DX - YouTube
    Ibanez GRG170DX - YouTube

Sound with vypyr 30
    Canon Rock - YouTube

7. Sumanovo razor

i personally think a laney cub will be better coz he'll be using zoom g2.1Nu...(never thought of playing a givson with a Zoom g2.1Nu lol) vypyr is a modelling amp...we wont need the effects ...

8. amithkallupalam

No idea really... And yes it has clean and distorted channels. Each amp model does. And the 75 watt will be way louder than the 15 watt. Best thing is to get a vypyr tube 60 because its got a better tube like feel to it. The preamp is not affected by the tubes but the sound will be a lot fuller and louder. But it costs 5k more. Best thing is to get a vypyr 75 or 30 with a sanpera II and you wont need anything else. Or if you already have an amp that works well with multieffects, get the line 6 pod hd300. And I think vypyr is way more versatile than the valveking. You get a lot of famous amps on the vypyr.

Peavey :: Vypyr® 30

There are 12 amp models and each amp models have clean and distortion(green and red). The left side features metal amps and the right side has rock and clean amps. But all amps except for the Triple XXX has a crunch sound instead of a clean toen in the green channel. But that doesnt matter. There are plenty of clean amps with awesome cleans on the right.

9. Sumanovo razor

whats the patented power sponge technology...30watt amp.doesnt have studio quailty usb interface and patented power sponge technology

10. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Do you guys even have the idea how much the vypyr tube costs?? The valveking 112 costs around 30k and the 212 costs 40k. My vypyr 75 cost me 21000(mrp 23200) so i'm guessin the tube 60 will be around the 30k mark. And even the vypyr 30 now costs around 15k mark.

The power sponge is actually an attenuator. It cuts the amount of power that the tube is getting.

11. thehundredthone

75W is not that much louder dB wise, but can push more air through a speaker/multiple speakers.

12. aparajit 909

aparajit 909 New Member

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys... M going to buy a peavey 15 and grg 170dx day after 2moro.

13. harmonizer

harmonizer The Son of the Moon

haven't tried grg170 yet but Vyper the the best selection u did :)

14. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Dude have you heard anything i have told you, PLEASE DO NOT BUY A GRG170DX. You will regret it. I am strongly against it. IT is one of the worst guitars i tried. The amp is good. If you want you can get an epiphone sg special around 13k mark a lot better guitar. But dont buy that ibanez.

15. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

where did u get the m-II and for how much

16. amithkallupalam

Dude dont get the vypyr 15 please. Get the vypyr 30 man. It has an extra feature called stomp boxes and it should sound much better. And then get a yamaha pacifica if the grg170dx is that bad. Dude if you get the vypyr 30 you can add on the sanpera footswitch which will help you when playing live and 30w and above versions have a looper. The vypyr is missing all of these features. Trust me. The 30watt is 13k in kerala. So its gotta be a little cheaper wherever you are! And bajaao has increased their prices for the vypyr series dont know why.. I regret the vypyr 15, I should have gotten 30. But other than that the vypyr 15 is the best amp under 10k. Period!

17. amithkallupalam

Dude vypyr tube is supposed to cost 24k or something. Really. And its much better than the valveking.

18. aparajit 909

aparajit 909 New Member

many people on the net say that floating bridges go out of tune real quick and tuning is a *****, is it true even if you dont use the whammy arm? If yes, the pacifica seems like the choice for me as i havent seen an epiphone in any shop and esp's cheap models are not good(so ive heard).

19. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

YEah the pacifica is decent. You can go for it. Trust your ears and the feeling you get after holding the guitar and mucking around a bit. Keep the advice here in mind but if you feel that you like the tone of the esp and it feels great in your hand go for it. But if i were you i'd get the pacifica 112j.

20. thehundredthone

I'd rather the 112V since it is slightly better in terms of construction. Either way, the Pacifica 112 series is a really good entry level guitar.

Floyd roses are very frustrating to work with when they're not of good quality and will not let you do drop/alternate tunings without serious time investment (retuning, balancing the bridge all over again, etc).

As for the amp, I wouldn't say the Vypyr is the best sub 10k amp since a 15W 1x8 will not really be able to compete with a drummer while jamming, and switching between sounds without a footswitch is hardly ideal. But if bedroom practice is all you're going to use it for, then it might serve your purpose.