What does it take to become a good lead player?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by nehemiah, Feb 12, 2005.

1. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

Greetings to all you IGTians.
    I have had formal training for abt a year after which I stopped and now wish to continue again.
    In terms of knowledge I am way way behind many here :nw: but before I begin learning I want to know what does it take to become a good lead guitar player? :think:
    Any lessons in particular or learning the usual chords would suffice? what i am looking for are those fast leads at the extreme end of the fret board :rockon:

2. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

good post... i wana know too...

the only leads i play good r those which i hav practised ovr n ovr agn :eek::

3. shak

shak Harrr!

i dunno what to say .. as i am still learning but here is what i think you should know...

1. know your scales (the basic shapes and the exotic ones as well)
    2. know your modes.. (and get comfortable with them)
    3. listen to other great artists..( will help you to develope your sense of music)
    4. improvisation!!... no particular tut for this bit... its all upto you.
    5. learn licks and riffs..there are loads out there on the web.. you can use them in your music with a little or no improvisation. e.g
    e|---------5---------------------|
    b|--------5--8p5-----------------|
    g|7b(hold)--------8p7p5--5-5-----|
    d|----------------------7-----5h7|
    this is a typical blues/rock lick.. can be improvised in sooooo many ways ..yet it always sounds good.. so look around for stuff like this.
    6. practice. ( important bit :) )

hope this helps.... but do wait for the real IGT musicians to answer your query.

4. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

Glad to have you guys around and i am sure I will learn a lot here. I believe your post will be pretty helpful shahrukh, got to try it out. and yes what exactly are modes and scales and if you could expalin that bit of tab you have given

5. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

nice 1 2 strt with shahrukh :) thnksss :)

6. shak

shak Harrr!

let me see how can i define them in simple words
    u see scales are set of notes which sound good when played together. there are many types of scales but most common are major, minor, pentatonics and their derivatives, blues etc. chords and modes are all extracted from these scales using certain formulas.
    if you are having trouble understanding this then i recomen that you search the igt forums for scales and chords. also check the tutorial section of this website...lots of helpful stuff there.
    and also check out www.cyberfret.com excellent website.

7. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

be original.
    too many covers u learn can be bad.
    work on ur technique.
    feel the notes u play.

6String_assasin and shak like this.
  8. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

feel the notes you play...pray, what does that mean

9. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

feel the note.
    i dont know how u can ecplain it.
    when u feel the note ..u feel it.

jayswami likes this.
  10. whoz_ur_daddy

whoz_ur_daddy New Member

i suggest you get used to ur fret board and remember the sounds each fret gives and when u hear someone else play, try and relate to it then try it urself

11. whoz_ur_daddy

whoz_ur_daddy New Member

but then again like shahrukh said practice is the important bit, no subs for that where are the big daddies of this place, they would be valuable help? r the moderators listening

12. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

practice and never be scared of trying something hard. ......and everything sharukh said too.

13. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yeah..all u need are a pair of hands and a pair of balls(figuratively...feminists, i apologise!)

14. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

practise, practise and practise. yeah every1 knows here how important it is to practise. however, i do like to add dat if u practise using a WRONG TECHNIQUE its of no use. like....i was learning a song 4 abt 3 months still i wudnt play it in one go. after sometime, i came to know i was using a wrong technique.....once i started using a right technique....it was all done within 3 days. :shock:

moral: practise but wid right technique.
    tips frm great players r a big help.

15. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

What sort of techniques are you talking about, if you cold be a bit more expressive. and ya, I am waiting for the experts to offer their advice, but where on earth are they?

16. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

^^^as shahrukh suggested first www.cyberfret.com. since, u have being playing frm past one year, u might be having good knowledge however, this website have sections where it has given the things u should be aware of if you want to be a good player.

17. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

I dont like bringing the same thread over and over again but i was hoping for more, not that the earlier post were any bad, but you it would be a bit more helpful if I had a more answers to to posted question...

18. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

what more do u wanna know...ull have to pay me if u wanna know more ;)

19. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

come on man, you won't do that to me, or will you? you have done your part and done it well, all i am looking for is a varied opinion, you know more choices......

20. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

oh...lol, i hadnt given u a proper answer in the 1st place...k id like to think im a good
    lead player so heres what i suggest:

1. Finger Exercises: 1234 chromatics etc.
    Reason: they build up ur speed, strength, finger independece.
    This is imp cuz this will help u do stuff u wanna

2. Scales: These are our guidelines of sorts..learn em. Now the question is how to learn em....heres what i do. ... take a particular scale..say Aminor pentatonic.
    a. learn them at alll the postions on the fretboard
    b. do all exercises u can find on the net eg. 3 up 2 down etc...(search the net..ull find many scalar exercises)...build up ur speed ..be comfortable with these exercises
    c.Improvise,Improvise,Improvise,Improvise and Improvise. That is record a backing track and play over the track using ur new found scale knowledge..this is whatll help u the most.
    d. learn songs in that scale...etc Aminor pentatonic..learn the stairway to heaven solo.

3. Chords: yes..learn chords and music theory.
    Reasons:
    1. Good backing riffs(rhythm) to improvise on
    2. Arpeggios etc.

4. then go on to further techniques such as sweeping,tapping etc.
    5. Pay shahrukh and ask him to teach u the above :)

I hope that helped(do I sense some reps here ;) ), do excuse my spelling mistakes.