What does each type of guitar chord sound like

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Pavlo, Jul 25, 2005.

1. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^^ what was meant for me??

the post in which u said that ..u can do without it in blues,rock and stuff..

heheheh..ok man.

@soulscape-- ive got a few friends who play jazz and ive been stealin a lot of their stuff..
    how long have u been playin??
    and i request u to post a lesson on chord voicing in the guitar lesson forums..
    peace.

2. musikmonsta

musikmonsta New Member

Answering years later should be ok I guess :p

I stumbled across this question as I was learning Music Theory myself. The feeling / mood for each Chord or understanding the logic behind a musical composition is hard to realize as a beginner, takes a lot of time and effort to master.

As a group like
    Major Chords -
    Minor Chords
    Suspended
    Diminished
    Augmented etc

How they sound like can be and understood so that you can write music without experimenting with an instrument - accomplished musicians do like Mathematicians & Physicists work with just their imagination.

It's more of the Chord Progressions that make sense to now. After some online research, I got these two books :

Frederick Horwood :
    The Basis of Music
    - This gives you everything you wanted to know about notation and with a little idea beforehand you are done.

The Basis of Harmony

- This is more geared for people who desire to WRITE music based on MUSIC THEY HEAR SUBVOCALLY - It essentially states every possible rule you need to follow like how should you write chords if it's a Counter Point, How to write Bass under a Melody or How to write a Melody above Bass , how should chords progress etc.

- It's an old one, but in my opinion, it's the best like the Gita stating the principles behind melodious music. But, to be warned, you can't realize what he says before you actually played some pieces and thought about it yourself. Understanding the elements of music in an isolated context is like an LKG guy asking of what use are these alphabets, mood is simiilar to reading in-between the lines.

So, the best suggestion I can give, play songs in different moods again and again and start thinking about them, you'll realize naturally which fits best.

- To understand this, you need to dissect music mentally as you listen. Yes, musicians know which Key signature, Timing & Chord progression should they write to decide the mood. Eg: Love Songs, Sad Songs / Painful, Eerie, Hip Hop etc. Comes with a bit of experience and experimentation. Most often melody is generated by your neurons :)

Hope it helps !