What do you think it takes to be "MODERATORS" of IGT ?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Super-Admin, May 11, 2011.

1. Super-Admin

Super-Admin Administrator Staff Member

I've been thinking for a while now, to pull on some moderators, who can help us build a better community... The biggest question that comes as an obstacle for me is: "What does it take to be a moderator of IGT ??"

So here's an open question, type in your thoughts, and soon we'll have a few referrals running..

It's time to pull in some mods on board :) ..

Cheers,

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

i think it needs a lot of time... :p:

3. Super-Admin

Point noted. But if we have a bunch of them, who can take turns to come on when ever possible, guess that'll definitely help a bit, will it not.

I was looking more in lines of the Nature of mods, like they should be humble, calm, understanding and forgiving, and when required they have to be stern and take right action ..

What's your opinion ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

well you are right.. i will suggest the name of flood.. he's very much mod material...

5. Super-Admin

Can you please PM me his user id :) ..

Cheers,

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

7. Super-Admin

Thanks Rickky :).

Have contacted him, lets see how things go :).

Kudos to you.

Meanwhile, if you have other folks in mind, keep pushing their names ..

Cheers,

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Sure thing mate... \m/

9. Super-Admin

Alrightie :)

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

There is one major criteria for becoming a mod:

1. Being online on the forum as much as possible.

Rest of the points become insignificant in front of this.
    Because unless you are online - you really cannot "moderate" any thread.
    And it has to be done like riot policing - controlling it at the initial stage - or else you risk it becoming a runaway train.

11. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

you should wish we all get the fvcking banned users back

12. Super-Admin

@alpha - I agree with you.

But I also believe that mods should have genuine character. This reminds me of some great words

"With great power comes great responsibility".

We want policing, but it should be friendly.

'Hawaldars and Inspectors' (Indian cops) are feared, where as 'Bobbies' (brit cops) are super friendly.

So 'Friendly' also takes precedence.

@Morbid_Angel - We have plans to work on that. What ever might have been the reasons, I don't think some of the genuine guys should have been banned.

Everyone tends to make mistakes, we are human, we err. Everyone has a bad day once in a while, and it's our right to be stupid on such days. Just because of some action on one such day, unless it was grave, I don't see why a Ban.

We surely will work towards that !

13. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

well yeah it was quite stupid then..but i didn't mean it like it's some bitter experience or something. i just mean you need more active posters at this point to attract more members, or past members probably :)

shallow posters make me choke -_-

14. Super-Admin

Very sensible !

We have two guys on board, who have more than 10 years experience with music, who'll post as regularly as possible.

Their regular life may not permit them to post chords for more than 2 - 3 songs / week. But to start with, it's really great I believe. Coz, once the ice starts rolling, it's sure gonna roll snowball downhill :)

If you know any old timers, who were pulled out for whatever reasons, please PM me or let me know here, I'll surely look into getting them back on board :).

Cheers,

15. flood

flood New Member

thanks for the suggestion, here's my thing: i don't go to any other boards except the gear talk board. it's VERY rare that i check anything else.

on the gear talk board i'm not interested in attending to everyone's problems. if someone asks me "plz 2 suggest gud gtr amp n proccy in budget 15k" i tell him not happening. i try not to reply to threads where the poster is, well, wer d poster iz talking lyk dis, because i love the english language, can't stand it being skull****ed by webspeak and SMSspk - so i won't encourage it by tolerating it. i'd probably delete the post and tell the poster to type properly or suck it.

i'll be very clear: i'm always ready to help, as a lot of people will certify here, but my help is not universal or unconditional. i can tend to be a complete asshat grammar fascist too. i know how to save a buck or two, but can't recommend low budget amps or processors because i hate them down to a science. i can't address any "which guitar should i buy" threads - there's too many of them and people should search. i'm opinionated, and not sorry about it.

all in all, i'm not sure i'm the mod you're looking for.

16. Super-Admin

@Flood - straight out points. Let's see if something can be worked out :)

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Regarding the nature of mods - they have to be slightly opposite of the admin.

So if you are leaning on strict side, they should not - and vice versa.

Why this is required:
    Well say there is an incident which requires moderation - say name calling, flaming, wrong info etc.

Now if the mods are strict - they will immediately curb it down. Give warning to the concerned, and be off. Incident dissolved.
    However, if any of the aggrieved party feels injustice being done - they can always look up to the admin, and expect less luddite judgement.
    Thus balance achieved.

Similarly - if mods are not rigid, and change with time, and be little flexible - they won't meddle till things really start looking horrid.
    Again if the aggrieved party approaches the mods - they can get action.
    However, if it doesn't happen - because the mods think otherwise - they can knock the doors or admin - who is a super luddite - thus assuring justice according to ancient written laws.

Of course what you wrote about power corrupts is absolutely right.
    However, there is no way of judging and evaluating anyone in this world on that.
    Hence, keep that out of the equation - your only hope is that if you have more mods - extreme nature of one will be balanced by the presence of large number of mods.

18. Super-Admin

@Alpha - really nice suggestion/s. Very sensible suggestion. I'll ensure to incorporate these.

Cheers !

19. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Ya man totally agreed.. We lost a lot of good people because of that... I think most of them.. that too without getting any warnings.. I also got banned once.. but those guys might not be interested now i guess...

20. Super-Admin

@Rickky - I know it happened, though I don't know what happened and why it happened.

Instead of looking back in the past, I believe in looking ahead. I've started the ground work on trying to contact all old folks who have contributed to IGT. Around 40 odd folks make the fine crop. I have found some on facebook too. I'll be contacting them soon, and requesting them to join us back. Hopefully they'll oblige.

Good part is, I have two of them on my friends list on FB, so I guess 1st hand interaction with them over a cup of coffee, will help me understand what went wrong.

I'll definitely try and will not let it go before enough effort.