what do mean by strumming pattern

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by ahfoo, Jun 23, 2005.

1. ahfoo

ahfoo New Member

hi guyz,

i'm learning guitar and i wanna know what is trumming pattern........
    can anyone explain me........

bye
    ahfoo

2. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

Strumming is the act of hitting the strings of the guitar with the pick or the hand in order to produce sound.
    You can either strum downwards or upwards (obviously). When you strum downwards then a certain kind of sound is procuced and when u strum the same chord upwards a certain different kind of sound is produced. A different combination of these up and downward strokes form a strumming pattern
    A particular strumming pattern may suit one particular song because of its specific rhythm and may not match another song.
    In order to identify what strumming you need to play on a song , you need to listen to the song really carefully and catch the rhythm of the song. There are other threads here explaining in detail about the various strumming patterns.

3. sahil_delhi

sahil_delhi New Member

Hey Abhay,
    is there any site offering beginners strumming lessons?

4. bajao!

bajao! New Member

· well ths is some idea i hv about strumming apart frm wht hs already been said in th thread..

Think of your elbow as being the top of a pendulum; your arm should swing up and down from it in a steady motion, never pausing at any time.
    · Rotate your wrist down slightly while strumming down. Rotate your wrist up slightly while strumming up. Be sure not to keep your wrist stiff when strumming.
    another imprtnt thing... When you remove strums from our initial "down-up-down-up..." pattern, your initial impulse will be to stop the strumming motion in your picking hand. This is exactly what you DON'T want to do - your picking hand should continue to move up and down, even when not actually strumming the strings. This will initially feel unnatural.

bob-bobby likes this.
  5. vini

vini Repeat Offender

6. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

naah..that aint good...check out guitar.about.com

p.s.-may i teach you vinie.,if u want a 'kid' to teach you ...llolz