what do guitarists do on the higher frets

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by saurabh_taylor, Jan 1, 2006.

1. i really need help i know a lot of chords know the notes on guitar ,scales tuning diffrent styles of playing ,but still i'm not able to play well at all i don'know any good songs . to play .and a ques what do guitarists do on the higher frets . i can't figure out..

2. vini

vini Repeat Offender

well..the description of ur problem is kinda tough to decipher..but i'll give it a try>>

Great that u know scales,notes,tuning,chords..well..i think thats all u need to play a song..just take any song u like..search for its chords. learn, practise and play. was it that tough?

what do guitarists do on higher frets?? well..the same which is done on starting frets..u can play lead/tabs/rhythm. like there are some chords like say for example Bb which can be played on initial part of fretboard and if u wanna play it on a higher scale/note pitch u go farther/high on the fretboard..

like A# can be played at the farthest from the soundhole at
    e-1-------
    b-1-------
    g-1---3----
    d-1---3----
    a-1---3----
    e-1-------

and also on the higher frets like:

e--12------
    b--12-----
    g--12---13---
    d--12---14---
    a--12---14---
    e--12------

A# can also be played in the middle of fretboard

e--5------
    b--5------
    g--5---6---
    d--5------7---
    a--5------7---
    e--5-----------

thats the best i can explain of the best i could make out of ur problem...if in case i didnt succeed..then this would definitely prove helpful:

get ur guitar theory concepts clear and keep practising..thats what it takes
    all the best!!

phew!!

3. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Avoid the higher frets in an acoustic unless very necessary and certainly on a dreadnaught. As Vini pointed out, there r a number of positions for the same scale. You must also practice ur rhythm n timing to be able to play songs.

4. rocksta

rocksta Live Fast Die Young

good wrk vini...wonder wat d dude thinks.

5. thanks vini i know even the chords on higher frets.
    but i know scales only on a single strings
    i,m not able to play what i hear
    for ex the solo by sting in his song ,rain will follow,

6. vini

vini Repeat Offender

7. u got a repu from me

8. sultan_of_swing

sultan_of_swing New Member

ques: really need help i know a lot of chords know the notes on guitar ,scales tuning diffrent styles of playing ,but still i'm not able to play well at all i don'know any good songs . to play .and a ques what do guitarists do on the higher frets . i can't figure out..

ans: AAA....UMM.....(cough cough)ahem!!...........Next question plz

(hehe) buddy if u kno diffrent 'styles of playing' & yet ca't play any good song go shoot ur teacher.

9. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

form seeing your other thred it seems you dont know much about scales

you have to know the structure of the scale and you should be able to play scales in any position on any string
    it takes a lot of time and practice
    it takes years

10. vish_rocks

vish_rocks New Member

hey. i have been playing for months and all i can play when it comes to scales is a few modal patterns at 200 at best on my good days. i think it might take me a lifetime to master all the scales.
    as far as chords go. dude they are infinte, believe me, they are.
    and some one mentioned higher frets they seem to me like a task to be done easily in the next life.( i have stopped even dreaming about riding arpeggios in that area)

the confidence in the first post .boss. .... i might die of depression .