what contributes the most to the tone?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by shak, Mar 20, 2005.

?

what contributes the most to the tone

1. pickups

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. the wood/material out of which the guitar is made of

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. the position of the pickups

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. quality of the strings

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. the shape of the guitar itself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. a decent amp/rig

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. shak

shak Harrr!

plectrums have a great effect too ... this is the little experiment that i did with ma guitar ... i chose 4 different plectrums ... a jim dunlop big stubby (2.0mm) ... dean markley (.46 electrics) .... jim dunlop nylon (.50 mm) .... tortex (1 mm grippy) ..
    then plugged ma amp in the sound card and played the open-e (high) .. while recording the sound on the cool edit pro software ...
    the sound wave pattern (the graph ...umm the zig zag thingy ... or "spectrum" i reckon) in each case was very distinct ... the tortex gave me much brighter sound ... as of i was playing a tele, big stubby gave me "rounded" and smooth spectrum, nylon gave me a "jagged" spectrum adn dean markley was the best ... it had the smooth balanced spectrum ...
    so yeah .... plectrums are very important!!!!

2. shak

shak Harrr!

next experiment ...the strings!!!! .... will get hold of gibson britewires or powerlines ... i have loads of ernie balls ... umm..will get a d'addario pack and a low-end supermarket box standard cheap strings. ..just to make the comparison ... will post the result in a month or (i aint changing the strings without using them thoroughly...lol)

3. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

I think all of those factor play a vital role on your tone.

From most important to least(in my opinion):
    Wood
    Pickups/position
    Rig
    Strings
    Shape(altho more wood increases sustain etc..)

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@shahrukh, thats cool dude. Never knew plectrums wud make a diff to ur sounds.
    The plectrums u took were of diff. sizes. If they were all of say 1mm(my size) then wud we get a diff tone??

Two more uestions:

1.Btw, how does the shape effect?? What wud be the difference in tone b/w an explorer,iceman,flying v,super strat(ibanez shape) , gibson LP type(donno the exact name) and a strat shape?
    2.Whats the difference in tone b/w the various woods-alder,mahagony,rosewood,basswood (im sure im misiing something here)

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

6String_assasin likes this.
  6. fingers n strings thats my opinion

7. shak

shak Harrr!

yeah you are right dennis ... i should have used the picks of same width ... but i was feeling to lazy to pop down to the music store to get them ... hehehe..so i just looked into ma drawer and pulled out what i can find ...
    well shape thing ... you know what i am not very sure ... but i think it must have a slight influence on the tone ... it is true that the fatter the guitar gets the warmer and more sustained the tone becomes... and more wood that you put near the bridge ...the warmer tone you get... so yeah LP's have more wood towards the bridge (it has a fat a s s as i like to say) so generally it has warmer tone ... flying V's have less wood towards bridge so the are more twangy and frizzy ... but not a huge difference i think...

and the wood ... well the link by @nebuch is very good havent read all of it but i think it has some good explanations

8. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

very nice link nebu. giving u reps..

theguitaristofm likes this.
  9. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

1.) The Way You Play
    2.) Your Rig AND Tone Wood
    3.) Pickups

Im right now getting stuff for my new new rig. I bought a ADA MP1 (i was after it, because Alex Skolnick used one in Testament) preamp from ebay for $299 lol seriously. And im still thinking of a PowerAmp and delay unit to add on to it. The MP1 is aWESOME, i tried my 7620 while connected directly and played it out of an ADA speaker...the tone is amazing!

10. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

My guitar guru played nothing else matters in an acoustic guitar which suxed so much dat it had action so hightdat a fat indian cobra can crawl between the strings and the fretboard!! :shock:

defenitely fingers matter a lot. pickups and wood follows after that.

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Thnx for the reps 6_string...:)

theguitaristofm likes this.
  12. :shock: :shock: :shock:

cpbra n guitar r inter related??????????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: