What Can I Get In 25k?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by bcrich, Jul 15, 2010.

1. bcrich

bcrich New Member

@ironman12
    are you talking about jackson dXmg dinky? but it is priced @ 31k on bajaao? how is it in my budget anyways?

2. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Non-vintage tremolo (ie double locking) *will* be bad in that range, the ZR is good and the S420 is not a bad deal (S series is cool...if only they came in 24 frets...lol) (it's recommended on the UG page too)
    Tube amps
    -Laney Cub 8/10/(and the upcoming)15*
    -Vox AC4TV (try it before you buy, I've heard mixed reviews. MAYBE - someone correct me if I'm wrong - better for rock.)
    -BE3 Brat

Higher up, we don't have much variety in India, I think.
    -BE3 Solution 18/18 Live (on paper the stats look good, I was about to buy one myself, but I don't know how well it'd serve as a metal amp. You'd probably (as with everything else) need pedals, and it could do the job well.**)
    -Vox Night Train (I think this is said to be better for rock, though I think you could achieve good results with some OD pedals; I'm unsure.**)

Btw, the BE3 amps I mentioned above are handmade by a genius guy in Mumbai. He makes godawesome stuff, everything handmade and point-to-point wired (which should generally cost WAY WAY more than what he charges, yet it's considerably cheap and of excellent quality. I'll be buying a Powerhouse 50 from him in a year or so. And I drool big time for a Powerhouse 100 head...grind channel omfg @_@).

flood on this forum makes custom amps and stompboxes (go ask him for a fuzz pedal xD).

I'd also recommend Blackheart Killer Ant and Little Giant amps, and the Blackstar HT-5 for budget metal. (chime in, people, I've more experience with CLEAN tube amps than rock/metal oriented ones!)

Head and Cab VS Combo
    Every amp has roughly three bits, preamp, power amp, and speakers.

In a combo, it's all in a small, sometimes portable, package. In a head and cab, it's split into two units, there's the amp head - which has your pre amp and power amp, and there's the cab (speaker CABinet) which has the speaker(s).

The advantage to a head and cab is that
    1. It's easier to carry in some situations - say your practice hangout or gig place has cabs (with a matching ohm rating, that is, which should not be rare), you carry only the amp head there :D
    2. Even then, it's easier to carry an amp in two parts if you got your bandmates along
    3. Most importantly, if you want to upgrade to a...
    ...new amp - you just buy a new head, you don't pay for the cab and speakers.
    ...new speaker configuration - plug the old amp into the new cab, no buying speakers.
    With a combo, it's all together, so if you buy a new combo, you pay for what you may not want.
    If you buy a head, you'll have to buy a speaker cab, but they're good in the way that you can easily mix and match different speaker configs (like a 1x12, 2x12, 4x12), and it's cheaper in the long run if you plan to upgrade your amp. Flexible and cheap for serious players.

Speaker
    One general consensus will be to buy a 12" speaker (though you do get 8" and 10" as well), whether it's a head and cab configuration or a combo. PARTICULARLY as you're playing metal, and probably want a tight low. Speaking of which, you should probably look for closed back cabs/combos (where the back is...duh, closed. There are open backs, which are said to give a more 'open' sound).

Fwiw...
    ---
    NEVER RUN A TUBE AMP WITHOUT A SPEAKER OR DUMMY LOAD ATTACHED, ELSE IT'LL CATCH FIRE. :D
    ---
    *Guys...a question here myself. How do we run an amp like a Cub 8/10 into 'metal' territory? OD or *shudder* distortion pedal? At max gain it's still a little...dunno...tame, and distortion pedals feel to me like they take the character of the guitar and amp away -.-'
    **Wait for flood.

3. shobhit jain

shobhit jain New Member

brich I dont know how good U play but I like ur line yaar.
    And then I walk away and I'm smiling, so...'Cause I know no one else can do that.'
    good one. nice attitude.

4. bcrich

bcrich New Member

@shobhit
    thanks mate.

@ultrabot90
    i've researched on heads and came to know they are filthy expensive. besides i will have to buy a cab worth some 20k. so it will be out of my budget. so i am thinking about a 20w-100w practice amp because am not into large gigs for now.

5. bcrich

bcrich New Member

are the cabs really recommended with tubes?
    i want one with an fx loop cause most of the practice amps doesn't have it.
    how is the laney lc series?

6. ironman12

ironman12 New Member

The laney should do metal once u put a decent distortion and EQ pedal in front and adjust gain and tone to yr taste..

7. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Bring Up My Post

8. ultrabot90

Sorry, net dead since morning.

Anyway...
    CABS ARE EXPENSIVE!? WHAT!?

Traditionally (in the mass produced world) that could be true, but NEWSFLASH. 10.5k for a 1x12 cab loaded with a really good speaker*...EXPENSIVE!? o_O
    https://www.be3amplifiers.com/cabinets.html

And even then, so you say a head and cab is not for you.
    Get a combo. =| *facepalm* Doesn't make any sonic difference, at least. I go mad after half stacks because they are sweet looking (future proof advantage doesn't apply to me, because I want the Powerhouse to be my last amp), but it's all relative.

Here's are two 'head-and-cab vs combo' query thread (note that it's also about 10" vs 12" speaker).
    https://www.voxamps.com/forum/topic.php?id=1369
    https://www.voxamps.com/forum/topic.php?id=930

Oh, I forgot this.
    Price difference in head and cab vs combo - Heads on their own are cheaper than equivalent combos. You can upgrade cab or head as per your liking, making for more specific upgrades - you pay for exactly what you want, no excess, and you can mix and match heads and cabs.

Combo or not, BE3 Brat is good (1x12 and those speakers* for Rs.13500 is an EXCELLENT deal). If you use mostly distortion, get the Brat. It should go into metal territory pretty well too (low wattage, and then you add an OD pedal = pure win). I daresay it's a better choice than the Laney Cub series, or anything else you can actually get.

BE3 Solution sounds like what you want. I too consider it very thoughtful of him to have put in no reverb, no dumb effects, simply a good amp and an FX loop for future proofness.

Check out those two. In case of Solution 18, you should get the 12" version despite the little extra price*.

*BE3 gives you good stuff if you choose the 12" speakers (which you should anyway). Celestion Vintage 30 and Greenback are both very renowned and highly acclaimed speakers, and the V30 is said to be very versatile.

9. bcrich

bcrich New Member

where can i get these be3 amps?

10. bcrich

bcrich New Member

question time:

does the solution 18 have a jack for a cab? probably not cause its a combo amp. leave them all. but still, if i need one, will i be able to connect it with this?

ok, here's what am going to do after i find a be3 retailer.
    am gonna seriously try the solution 18 coz its impressing the hell out of me for quite a long time. its a combo with fx loop so am gonna go perfect with it. 18 watt is enough for me. but the celestion tube 10 is bugging me because i dun know if its a good speaker or not.

ok, one more question arised in this:
    does any combo amps can have v30 speakers? i've only heard these fitted into cabs.

:)

11. ultrabot90

Read the post (I edited it QUITE a bit in the time you were posting away).
    You won't find any BE3 retailers *sad smile* xD
    You can order it from him though it's best to pick it up from him in Mumbai. I'm dying to go to his workshop and check it out @_@

Speakers - You need to read his website more carefully. Options for different speaker configurations as well as head versions of amplifiers are provided right there on the amp pages. I have personally been warned against Tube 10s by flood and Ansar himself. Go with 12" options, you're safe.

12. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Most tube amps do come with a speaker out. Check the specifications. Call him and ask, even.

13. bcrich

bcrich New Member

am not sticking to this suggestion am not doing any big gigs for now, just a max 20w built in loop amp will be fine. and if i need one, i can always get one afterwards.
    btw, powerhouse 100 will be my last amp too.

am not into cabs for now, so ultimately i don't need a head.
    considering the be3 solution 18.

question time:

1.so, if i buy a head, to be precise, a be3 solution head costing some 16k as per the site, and after some months, buy a cab w/ v30s, will i be in a better position?
    2. are all heads tube?
    3. is it necessary for ANY amp to be a tube to plug it into a cab?
    4. is solution 18 a tube amp?
    5. should i buy it with a cab cause it has a tendency to catch fire without it?

14. ultrabot90

1. You can't run a tube amp without a speaker. It'll put out 'more juice than it can handle' (because it's not getting any resistance, which is what is measured in Ohms). The head is just the pre amp and power amp part of the thing, you need speakers to hear anything xD
    2. No, there are solid state heads too, but solid state stacks are usually a very idiotic proposition.
    3. Is your question more like 'can I plug a solid state amp into a cab'? I think yes.
    4. All BE3 amps are tube amps.
    5. Obviously. See point 1, it's nothing without a cab.

Research some more, spend time on it, here's something to start you off.
    https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232

15. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Very informative links+discussion, thanks Ultrabot!

Do you currently own a Be3?

16. ultrabot90

Thanks guitardoctor! o_O

No, I so wanna! Heard really good things about them. I've to wait one year...one year of saving >.<

bcrich - I just read your post again, afterthoughts -
    No worries. Get the Solution 18 1x12 combo. Seems to fit your bill, and all of Ansar's amps have external speaker sockets. (you can connect a cab when you feel like bigger stuff, and the 1x12 should be a good mix of portability, quality and volume for general purposes (yeah, we all want those qualities ;)))

(and I'm not convinced that the combo-design's-vibration-affecting-reliability will be a problem with BE3s, with the level of attention he seems to hint at giving...)

17. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Marshalls are crappy when it comes to metal - the real heavy stuff anyway. If you want a definite tone improvement you would want to get a good processor, like the pod X3 and a flat amp or a good modeling amp like the peavey vyper - of which i've heard good things.

My 2c is that you hold on to the guitar - its not a bad one compared to the 350 - and update your gear. But you would definitely want to get a new guitar in the near future.

18. gamebore

gamebore New Member

Solution 18 live 1X12 combo(27K) will cost you a cool 10 grands more than the cub 12. I wonder if the extra 3 watts power, greenback/vintage 30, and a footswitch is worth those extra 10 grands.

I wish there was an audio sample to hear the sound coming out of the solution 18 live.

19. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Ummm... No offense meant but now I'm confused all over again... Have you used these amps? If these are good I'll have to seriously consider Be3 for my next purchase...

20. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

May I clear a few points up.

1.so, if i buy a head, to be precise, a be3 solution head costing some 16k as per the site, and after some months, buy a cab w/ v30s, will i be in a better position?
    No.
    Buy a combo amplifier.

2. are all heads tube?
    No.
    Solid state heads are available too.

3. is it necessary for ANY amp to be a tube to plug it into a cab?
    No.
    The requirement is that the amp have a speaker out.

4. is solution 18 a tube amp?
    Yes.

5. should i buy it with a cab cause it has a tendency to catch fire without it?
    Yes. But you've got the wrong idea here. Heads don't tend to catch fire without a cab. A tube amplifier head will overload and get damaged if you don't attach a load (usually a speaker) to it. In a combo amplifier the head is connected to the speaker so there's no practical risk of overloading the amp.

I wish there was an audio sample to hear the sound coming out of the solution 18 live.
    a. Visit him
    b. Mail him and ask him
    c. https://www.youtube.com/user/ansar1313#p/u

Ummm... No offense meant but now I'm confused all over again... Have you used these amps?
    Short answer: No he hasn't.
    Long answer: Tube amps are a new concept for the masses in India. The best way to decide is to play the amplifiers for yourself.