what are the different genres of metal music disucssion

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by ssslayer, Aug 22, 2005.

1. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hiya fellows ...

i am inspired to open this thread coz of all the differences in opinions shown here in IGT as to what are the different genres of metal music ... and what really defines and makes one genre unique and different from other genres ...

this comes since there are many purists on this Site who would like to classify everything as either "A' Metal or "B" Metal ... but nothing like "A-B" metal ...

guys ... please enlighten us ... so that we dont appear so "un-educated" in the forums ...

and yeah give examples also wherever possible ...

2. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Math Metal/Tech Metal subgenres of the "father category" Heavy Metal.
    Tech metal
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Heavy metal music
    Stylistic origins: Psychedelic rock, European classical music and British blues
    Cultural origins: Late 1960s United Kingdom
    Typical instruments: Guitar - Bass - Drums
    Mainstream popularity: Extensively followed by dedicated fans throughout the world.
    Derivative forms:
    Tech metal is a subgenre of heavy metal / Death metal. It is characterised by a show of skill, changeable time signatures, and often dissonant or atonal guitar riffs. Death metal and grindcore elements are often found in tech metal. Some bands employ elements of jazz into their music, such as dynamic time signatures, guitar solos, and drumming patterns. It has also been referred to as Math metal, although Math Metal is characterized more by odd time signatures then by technical riffs.

Some bands of this genre include:

Atheist
    Cynic
    Craw
    Prejudice
    Cryptopsy
    Death
    Demilich
    Edge of Sanity
    Gorguts
    In-Quest
    Martyr (band)
    Meshuggah
    Necrophagist
    Nile
    Psychotic Waltz
    Psycroptic
    Spastic Ink
    Spawn of Possession
    Spiral Architect
    Suffocation
    Theory In Practice
    Watchtower

Then again, not all of these bands sound the same. As you just read, some bands add a death metal/grindcore feel to their music. Some do things differently and don't add any death metal at all! For example Spiral Architect is a heavily jazz influenced band, not to mention they kick ass!

3. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

4. Mr. Scary

^ you da man!!

5. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

well accordin to da site sepultura is indeed death metal

6. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

^^^ hmmm ... now who was the runt who laughed at sepultura being called death metal ... ???

and y is Slayer not in death metal genre? ... i know it can be put in thrash metal genre ...
    but according to the definition it should also come under death (atleast the earlier albums) ... and same with new age Testament ...

consitency is lacking in these definnitions ...

7. Mr. Scary

i laughed at sepultura being called black metal.

8. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

^^...oh i said death/black....neways fuk it...

btw da site doesnt classify fear factory into ne genre... :think:..

9. Mr. Scary

I've seen em being labeled as Industrial Metal alot of times....ocassionally as Nu Metal too.

10. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

nope that was not directed at you ...

11. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

^ Alright jerk. Listen up and listen good. I've had enough of your indirect flaming. Sepultura is not a straight up death metal band nor is it a complete thrash metal band. It's a mix of the two.

Wikipedia refers to Sepultura as a thrash/death metal band. There is wide discrepancy over what genre Sepultura fits into. But any serious metalhead who listens to death metal will not agree with Sepultura being classified completely as a death band because they are not. There are many factors that contribute to that statement. The first one is drumming. Blast beats which are a common feature in death metal are not used as much by Sepultura as say bands like Nile, Bloodbath, Death or Morbid Angel which are truly death metal acts. The other factor and the one in my opinion that classifies them firmly as thrash are the vocals. Regardless of how harsh you think Max's vocals are, they are NOT death vocals (or "cookie monster" vocals as they are often referred to). These two factors are enough for me to classify them as thrash. Others may not agree with me and that is their opinion. So you are entitled to have your own opinion about them. BUT DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CALL ME NAMES FOR HAVING MY OWN OPINION AS YOU JUST DID ABOVE. I WILL NOT TOLERATE ANYMORE SHIT LIKE THAT FROM YOU.

As for your Slayer question: Tom's vocals are not death vocals. Therefore they are thrash. Again this is open for debate but it is only an opinion. Some sites classify Slayer as death metal, but any true metalhead knows that Slayer do not fit into the death genre. Classify them as you wish.

cYpHeR likes this.
  12. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

wuts the difference b/w heavy metal , trash , death metal ??????

tell me names of some popular band of these geners

13. Mr. Scary

Dude! Click on the link DMF posted in hids first post on this thread.

14. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

@dmf---hahha..chill man..ssslayer has to cope with a lot of stuff...u know he has VD dont u?

a joke to just lighten things up.

ssslayer:dude,this band is soo black metal.
    dennis:wtf,this band is ultra gothic-death-symphonic-metalcore-grind-black metal.

im out..
    good thread tho..

15. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

whoa....dat sums it all..

Thread has served its purpose..

**thread closed**

:p:

16. Mr. Scary

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

17. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

it wont ;)

ok ... thanx for the info ...
    now, this educative stuff u cuddve put up in the creed forum ... instead of becoming a laughing stock here ... and then defending yourself ...
    if u dont wanna tolerate anything ... u are most welcome ... tell u the truth .. i dont care whether u tolerate or not! ... and what u tolerate etc ...

u can go and fuck yourself ...

ok ... phew! ;)

man cool it ... stop taking everything on these forums seriously ... no need to let the ego get in between ...

18. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

what the fcuk is deathpop.has anyone one heard what the ____ is it?

19. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

death pop ?

now thats something i heard for the first time, here ... actually on the creed rullezzz (or someting like taht) thread ...

20. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

pop tht makes u kill urself...i guess