what are power chords..?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by vishwa_81us, Aug 3, 2005.

1. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

Hi Frnds...

I have some questions....

1> what are power chords ? how to play them?

2> what are bar chords ? why we need them ?

4> chords like Bb and A# mean the same ? why don't we represent them as A#?

5> I am not able to get the strumming effect of Durr by strings with my acoustic guitar.. Do I need Electric guitar for that ? Can anyone tell me the strumming pattern of Durr..........???

6> I am not able to read staff notations ? Can anyone help me in that ?

Thanks in advance..

vishwa :cool:

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

Power chords >> Root + fifth

Barre chords>> chords with Barre(using index to fret all strings at any one fret simultaenously)

Why Bb not A#>> Because Bb and A# dont appear in same scale. u cant share alphabets, cause then it becomes impossible to notate on staff. C and C# D and D# etc share same line in staff notation. so the norm is not to have same alphabet twice.

Durr>dont need an electric, play along with the song.

staff>theres a lesson in the tutorials sectoin, look it up

3. arunrx

arunrx Banned

1> what are power chords ? how to play them?
    Power chord is synonymous to fifth Chord. Power chords are built only on 2 notes - The root + fifth note.
    Example: C major is built with C+E+G
    C5 (C Power chord) will be C+G, we omit the 3rd note.

2> what are bar chords ? why we need them ?
    Bar chords are not different from others except for the position. It is just that you have to stretch your index finger to cover all the 6 or 5 strings in ur guitar.
    Example: F barred chord - 133211 - you will press all the strings against ur fret.
    F normal - x33211 - u need not stretch out ur first finger on all 6 strings.. enough just if you hold 1st and 2nd strings together on 1st fret.

C barred - 557775 (this one is with G bass)

4> chords like Bb and A# mean the same ? why don't we represent them as A#?
    Forget Chords.. take notes. # and b variations were brought to adhere to theory. In some instances, while specificing notes you should mention Bb and not A#.

Example: F major scale - F G A Bb C D E F
    Here you cannot mention A#, bcoz A is already present in the scale. You cannot bring two variations of same note (A and A#). So you MUST mention it as Bb.

5> I am not able to get the strumming effect of Durr by strings with my acoustic guitar.. Do I need Electric guitar for that ? Can anyone tell me the strumming pattern of Durr..........???

No idea.. have not heard of the song.

6> I am not able to read staff notations ? Can anyone help me in that ?
    Sight reading staff notation doesn't come so easily. You have to practice for years. You should have a teacher if you want to learn staff notations. Simple phrases can be read easily. But imagine a staff containing lots of trill,tremolo, 8th notes.. 32nd rest. You will end up in frustration. So better go to a teacher. Else, take a good book and go step by step.

4. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

Hey thanx arunrx and DrSaurabh...

For the detailed reply... But tell me one thing when we need barred chords or else when we should go for it... For eg. we can play chords like C , G etc by using normal chords.. then why barred chords.. i feel normal chords sound better than barred chords...

yeah thanks for the reply on power chords.. i tried playing the strings song Anjane using power chords.. they really sound much better than normal chords...

But still waiting for the strumming sequence of Durr by strings.... !!!!

vishwa :think:

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

see.power chords sound meatier....which is why they are preferred for the chorus part of the songs...
    as to barre..the level of reverb in barre chords is less, plus mutting etc is easier in barre chords....the open chords sound richer, barre chords give you more control....
    but then again...what voicing to use where depends on th song and ur ears.....

6. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

the guy from strings usess aa delay in the strumming of duur - so yes if u want it to sound EXACTLY like that ull probably need an elctric with effects - but i usually dont use delay - i jsut strum according to the delay pattern.. just keep playing and ull eventually get something clsoe to it

7. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

naah its actually two guitars......one is playing a two-string rhythm.....with a bit of distortion and reverb and delay and all that stuff......the other i guess plays just what u try to play........(i maybe wrong....i heard this song 3 years ago........even though its one of my fav.)

we need barred chorsds -
    1) for doing away learning all those open voicings.....i dont think anybody will learn to play all the sharp and flat chords the 'open' way......

2) for more control.......i dunno how u like the open chords more......only in the spicy chords do open voicings seem cool.....otherwise...i find them ****......maybe u are not gettin the strumming pattern right fer durr cuz u play open strings.....which dont allow u to mute all the notes as per ur wish.....givind out the sick 'fish market ' sound

power chords are the main stay of all rock n metal rhythming........power chords dont have the third note which a usual chord has....thats why there aintno minors and majors in these chords..........you just play the root note (like G).......the second note (like D)....and the third note which is just the root note played an octabe higher.....(this gives us the chord G5 played as 355xxx on ur guitar.....)
    power chords are used when u need the crunch in ur song.......especially when u try and play with a lot of overdrive........normal chords sound all too messy with distortion......