What are jumbo frets?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by ambush, Jul 30, 2006.

1. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Do they mean thicker neck or fatter frets?

2. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Never heard of those :(

3. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

they mean bigger frets.

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

what are they used for?

5. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

:RollLol: :RollLol:

For cleaning toilets......

Buddy they are wider frets, making it easy to play. The regular frets are thin, and need more finger force to avoid buzzing. Some ppl say they cause some issues with the note precision, but I dont know much abt this. Ask alpha1 or ronnieanand. They'll know better.

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

These are larger frets, so you have to press lighter to fret the note..it enables you to play with a lighter touch.You have to have a precise touch, else you can make the note sharp by pressing too hard. Try it on your guitar, press much harder than required and you can hear the note going sharp.
    Thats how I understand it anyways.

7. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Youre right the note becomes sharper when i press too hard

I guess it will be a problem when playing chords

8. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

I dont think it will. In fact, it will make chording easier. It will give u proper tone with a much lighter touch. You dont actually have to press hard like u do on an acoustic with 13s on it. I seem to like them. Dont know abt u though. Suit urself.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:RollLol:

I dunno any better, but I like to feel the fretboard wood under my fingers, while playing. :)

Similarly, some people prefer jumbo frets, which allows you to keep your fingers off the fretboard.