What are humbuckers and for what are they used for in electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by kl12, Oct 10, 2005.

1. kl12

kl12 (Ghost Note)

hi all
    i wanna ask what are humbuckers and for what are they used for in electric guitar???

and what are pick ups ????????? plz explain.......
    regards

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

pickups ...

ok ... the electric guitar relies on electromagnetic waves for reproduction of sound.

the pickups are like magnets on which coils made of conducting wire are placed

when the strings vibrate they casue disturbance in magnetic field surrrounding the pickups, this changing magnetic field is picked up by th coils and converted into electric field ...

and u get electric current ...

now this electric current u can amplify and plug into a speaker so that u can hear it .

humbuckers are two coils put togther, but in way that cancels the static, what happens is that earth's magnetic field as well as magnetic field due to alternatic current supply causes humming sound from the normal single coil pickup

the humbuckers vanishes the hum ...
    incidentally humbucker also causes the tone to lose the higher frequencies ... and impart more color to mid frequencies ... which causes its tone to be labelled as "dark"

one more thing happens is that since the humbucker has highe output it can produce better distortion (but this holds tru only if u are using a tube amplifier - this wont work in solid state amps)

vini likes this.
  3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Dont tell me, they taught you Electronics like this in IIT. :annoyed: :shock:

4. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

which type of pickup can give you more sustain? and are there other external means to increase the sustain?

5. ronnieanand

Sustain is a byproduct of your guitar, strings, distortion, pickups, amp and of course fingers.

A heavy bodied set neck or neck through will give more sustain than a bolt on.
    High gain distortion gives you more sustain
    High output pickups give you more sustain. Even many of the low gain pickups do give a lot of sustain. Basically any good pickup will offer very good sustain.
    At loud volumes, you can get excellent sustain.

Use a compressor to increase your sustain externally. Best thing is to use a good guitar with good pickups and play it loud. This way it will sound very natural.

6. kl12

kl12 (Ghost Note)

thanks all.....jekyll , ronnieannand....

7. jekyll

jekyll Banned

:RollLol:

c'mon dude am not elec engineer ...
    me did some chemical engineering :p: ...

oh boy now i remember WE DID have some Basic Elec courses ...

hehe but these guitar fundaes come from 12th class physics ... what is it called?
    Faradays Law ... yeah ... :p:

8. ronnieanand

:RollLol:

Anyway figure out if it's voltage or current that you were actually referring to :p: .

9. jekyll

jekyll Banned

hmmm :grin:
    taht is emf ...

but anyway emf should produce current right?
    so what if i just skipped some steps ,... :grin:

hey i need a refresher now ...

faradays law: changing magnetic flux generates electric field

_______ law: changing electric flux causes magnetic field

^^^^^ who was this fellow?

10. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

@jekyll - woah dude.....that was mind blowing.....i din know were so gud at all this!.....reps for you!

11. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

arrey.. its simple... the frequency of oscialltion determines output voltage. becasue rate of change of flux is directly proportional to emf or voltage. the current is the strength os the signal that depends on how hard u pluck it/how much u amplify it.. amplifier multiplies current. most amps have eqs which are atenuators or things that cut down certain frequency ranges.

pickups have a coil ththat get get indced witha current and an emf. its simple physics yar.

12. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

^^well,, but i havent studied much of physics......im comm student!

btw....how are you posting back in igt....i heard you say......i have left igt for gud and its real bore now.....while chatting!