what are Harmonics ?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by zohaib, Nov 19, 2004.

1. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

hey i heard alot about harmonicz !!!!
    wat are hamonics
    plz tell me in detail and submit tutorial plz !!!

2. harmonics
    ok ..im gonna try and explain
    there are two types
    1. natural harmonics
    2. artificial harmonics

the 12th fret is the easiest to get a harmonic i guess.
    so what u do is place ur finger on the string above the fret wire of the 12th fret
    dont press!!! just place it gently
    strike the string and then leave the finger as soon as u strike it..ull get a bell like tone which is called harmonics...that is a natural harmonic..
    u can get natural harmonics on the 3rd ,5th,7th...also

artificial harmonics are tougher to get..
    first get the natural harmonics and then ill try to explain the artificial harmonics..
    if u dont understand the natural harmonics..ill gladly post a clip of some natural harmonics played..ok?
    hope this helps u a bit
    dimebag

3. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

10x
    thts the flute type voice rite

4. kaiser

kaiser Bored

dont we get them one the 2, 4, 6 th frets????
    whats the theory behind them harmonix?
    n please do explain artificial harmonics.

thanx.

5. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

theory behind harmonics? pick up the 11th grade physics textbook, open the chapter on waves and sounds...u'll find it all...

for artificial harmonics try these...

- Hold your pick with the thumb protruding slightly from the side, and pick the string, so the pick hits it, and your thumb then hits it immediately afterwards.

- Hold your pick with the index and thumb, and have your middle-finger stick out right behind. Picking the string with an upstroke should produce a pinch harmonic. (I mostly use this method, since i have an unusual way of holding the pick, and I find this convenient.)

- Place the side of your palm lightly over the point of harmonic resonance, and then pick the string. Or pick the string, and then lightly bring your palm down.

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i had read someplace......
    one more way to play harmonics is usnig the left hand.....u keep ur finger lighlty on the string and just as u pick the string u lift ur finger..........
    really diff if ur playin something with a faster temp

7. skaw

skaw snooze

doc - my friends teacher told me tht thats how you play harmonics... slightly pressing the metal bar of the fret... like not the wood but the metal .. i dunno wht they are called but i noe u noe wht i mean ...

:) 5 hours of math , n this is what happens .. don't blame me

6strings - moi in grade 11 physics , we have reached to that thing yet, you sure its gona be in my ciriculum ?? (it will be interesting , since i get physics)

8. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

There's several types of harmonics. Natural harmonics, touch harmonics and pinch harmonics to name a few.

The most common of these are natural harmonics. Natural harmonics produce a bell sound.

To produce a natural harmonic lightly touch a string at either the 7th, 12th or 19th fret (there's many more but these are common) and pluck the string.

9. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

whats the use of harmonics

10. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

you use them to get a different sound. Listen to the solo of Cream - White Room to get an idea.

Natural Harmonics should be playable (at varying degrees of difficulty) on the frets of 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th (etc). Your finger can be anywhere along that particular fret it does not have to be near the edges of the fret.

The idea is to have your finger lightly touched on the string so that there is firm contact but the string is not pressed down in any way. Then when you strike the string you have to lift that finger at the same time when the plectrum/finger leaves the string from plucking. Easiest place to do this, and easy in the sense that you can get away with not doing it with perfect timing is the 12th fret. I suggest that you try it out first on the first string (high E) at the 12th fret.

11. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

@drsaurabh, wot u were talking abt were natural harmonics..
    @skaw, sure its gonna be there..