Whammy bar broke in guitar...

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by atulfelix, Apr 18, 2007.

1. atulfelix

atulfelix New Member

The whammy bar on my squier strat broke leaving behind a bit in the bridge!
    I guess the only way to remove the bit would be to drill a small hole in the bit and then use a screw extractor to remove it.
    I've removed the tremolo block so that I can extract it without damaging the guitar body.
    I'm in Bangalore. So, could anyone tell me where I can go to get such a thing done. A place where they might do screw extractions... A mechanic or something...?

Or would I have to buy a new tremolo block or a whole new bridge?

I really need help with this...

2. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Bangalore right........A Guy named Bobby cud help....Contact LaneyManey for more info !!

3. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I think they normally would weld another piece to the bit and then unscrew it but its best to just go to a luthier

Is any part of the bit sticking out over the trem plate?

Actually if you have the trem out already just take it to a welder. I don't think drilling into it is going to help. You may need to re chrome it though so if you can mask out the surrounding area with some tape or something

Its not too complicated. They'll just tack it with an extension they can turn

4. atulfelix

atulfelix New Member

Thanks, I'll contact Bobby, I hope he can help.

5. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

warm the trem over blue flame, like a gas flame. tap it with a cloth wrapped mallet, or try to poke the whammy bar out. should work.

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

This is a common problem on Cheapo trems and the CBS era FENDERS.... But it can be fixed.. just take it to a LUITHER.