we all learn guitar together

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by samar_singh, Oct 22, 2006.

1. samar_singh

samar_singh New Member

Hey guys let me introduce myself first I m film and video editor for films and television recently I had a surgery in my leg so I cant go out so I have decided to learn guitar from net and I got this site I have collected good tips and tutorials from this site and net so I want to share these things with you.

Tutorial One
    Understanding the fretboard

I would like to tell you first thing is guitar learning is not impossible infect its easy if u feel the music just you have to do it whenever you go out if u walk just do 1 2 3 4 exercise in few days you will learn to do things on beats and try to catch strumming pattern in songs (That jhing jhag jhing jhing jhag jhing thing called strumming )its like background music Don’t do tabs too much believe me u will waste time and you will take more time .start guitar practice with chords so if u want to learn guitar you should know you fretboard here it is

1. First of all, there are 6 lines, each representing a string on your guitar.
    2. And there are frets each fret has its own no

---1---2---3---4---5---6---7---8---9---10--11-12--13---14-- <- frets number
    e|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-e-|---|---|(1st string)
    B|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|(2nd string)
    G|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|---|(3rd string )
    D|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-D-|---|---|(4th string)
    A|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-A-|---|---|(5th string)
    E|-F-|-F#|-G-|-G#|-A-|-A#|-B-|-C-|-C#|-D-|-D#--E-|-F-|-G-|(6th/last string)

Now I know most of u r angry with the naming system even i thought it in the beginning but everyday as I m learning guitar I m praising the inventor who has made it anyway don’t waste time to find out why its like that in future I will explain u now you just have to remember the
    Fret no 1 -2-3-4 and if u can remember fret board in its basic names its good otherwise with time u will recognize it any ways

Just do one thing for 10 times for 4-5 days, play any string and play sharp frets (#) and then non sharp frets if u do this with time u will understand why this exercise is important
    Now I try to do it these r the tabs from song (Dekho kaise from OST Spiderman by Paki band called STRING) now u will notice something the way u r practicing fretboard these guys r making tabs it’s the same thing most of the time in every song so whenever u practice fretboard try figure out this thing u know what u will save lots of time if u got this point cause if try to remember fret no. u have to do it for every song and if catch this exercise and this theory u will b a master in few days
    Now its time to tune ur Guitar .Oh cant explain it to u guys so why don’t u watch this video its amazing

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6919104580962689651&q=tune+guitar

E-------------------------------------------------
    B--0--3--0--3-------5--7--8--7--5-------5-----
    G--------------------------------------5---------
    D-------------------------------------------------
    A-------------------------------------------------

daykhoo kaisay parbat say badal gayay

E-----------------------------5-------------------
    B--5--5--7--7------7--7-----------5-------------
    G-------------------------------------------------

barsay gayy yeh abb kahan

B--0--3--0--3-------5--7--8--7--5-------5-----
    G--------------------------------------5---------

dakhoo kaisay pholoon say khushboo gayee
    mehkay gee yeh abb kahan

E--------------------------3----------------------
    B--7--7--7--7----5--5---------------------------
    G------------------------------------------------

sukh ban gaye sapnay

E-------------------5-----5--5----3--------------
    B--7--7--7--7------------------------------------

sab khoo gayay apnay

E---7--7--5--7----5--5--7--5-------------------
    B-------------------------------------------------

dil bujh gaya ghar jal gaya

E---5--5--7--3-------3---------------------------
    B--------------------------5----------------------

najanay kyun

E---------3---3----------------------------------
    B---5--------------------------------------------

najanay kyun

Tutorial Two
    Understanding chords

In the beginning of this chord exercise you should know your finger no. its not tough at all

-----===- thumb we don’t use it at all
    --------=====- Finger Key: Index finger/first finger: 1
    --------=======- Middle finger/second finger: 2
    --------=====-3 Ring finger/third finger: 3(Shadi wali lol)
    --------===- Pinky/fourth or smallest finger: 4

Lets start chords
    The main purpose of this tutorial - to learn major basic guitar chords (most common)
    The 5 Major Basic Guitar Chords
    These are the chords played right down the neck at frets 1 to 3. They're great to learn to begin with because they get your fingers moving in formation and increase your co-ordination.
    These 5 basic guitar chords will stay with you forever too, and you'll learn to easily modify each one to sound more...interesting.
    So let's just first cover the 5 main basic guitar chords. The numbers indicate which finger is most comfortable on that fret.
    Bold Line = root string of the chord
    cross Line= don't play this string!
    Strings with no position dots should be played just as they are, open.
    A Chord.

e-0---
    B-2--- <--use finger 3 here
    G-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    D-2--- <--use finger 1 here
    A-0---
    E-x---
    C Chord

e-0---
    B-1--- <--use finger 1 here
    G-0---
    D-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    A-3--- <--use finger 3 here
    E-0---
    D Chord

e-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    B-3--- <--use finger 3 here
    G-2--- <--use finger 1 here
    D-0---
    A-x---
    E-x---

E Chord

e-0---
    B-0---
    G-1--- <--use finger 1 here
    D-2--- <--use finger 3 here
    A-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    E-0---

G Chord

e-3--- <--use finger 3 here
    B-0---
    G-0---
    D-0---
    A-2--- <--use finger 1 here
    E-3--- <--use finger 2 here

Minor Chords
    Try and see how you're altering the chords from above to create their minor versions below - it only involves moving one particular string down one fret. really interesting don’t lose hope I did but later I got the pace (even I m practicing these chords )
    Am Chord.

e-0---
    B-1--- <--use finger 1 here
    G-2--- <--use finger 3 here
    D-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    A-0---
    E-x---
    Dm Chord

e-1--- <--use finger 1 here
    B-3--- <--use finger 3 here
    G-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    D-0---
    A-x---
    E-x---
    Em Chord

e-0---
    B-0---
    G-0---
    D-2--- <--use finger 3 here
    A-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    E-0---

OK so these r the basic chords u must b thinking what happened to you other chords learn these chords if u d it for 2—3 days you will remember all these chords positions then try to do rest of the chords u will catch it quickly cause if u go in lenear manner then its really tough cause we have limited capacity to remember things so don’t think too much just do it I think it will work

Plz download Major_and_Minor chords Document I m attaching with this post in the end

7th Chords
    I m trying to figure out what it is if someone know the story of 7th chords plz share it with us
    A Good song for practice-ZOMBIE: by the CRANBERRIES .Hey we know these chords just download it and try to catch it on your guitar
    Em........C............
    Another head hangs lowly
    G..................D
    Child is slowly taken
    Em................C...............
    And the violence caused such silence
    G..................D
    Who are we mistaken
    ..........Em...........
    but you see, it's not me
    .............C....
    it's not my family
    .........G...............
    in your head, in your head
    .............D...
    they are fighting

.:SpY_GaMe:. likes this.
  2. samar_singh

samar_singh New Member

Tutorial Third
    Finger stretching exercises

First I want to tell u I got this exercise from the member of IGT thanks sayanakaharry u r really great thanks to u man

I know your fingers r not taking ur orders no problem we can do it with the help of this tutorial u will when u do this it’s a waste of time but know man do it for 4 days u will see the difference I mean its like a Steroids instant results

First Stretch

In this stretch, you have to place the four fingers of the hand on the four adjacent strings on four consecutive frets, starting from the fourth string tenth fret! That means the first finger on the 10th fret fourth string, the second finger at the 11th fret 3rd string, the third finger at the 12th fret second string and the fourth finger at the 13th fret 1st string. Looks tough, well not at all. Here! For convenience I’ve written the fingers used under the tabs.

E-|----------------------------13-
    B-|--------------------12---------
    G-|------------11-----------------
    D-|-----10------------------------
    A-|--------------------------------
    E-|--------------------------------
    1 2 3 4

Okay now play the first four strings consecutively, don’t strum them, but play them as an arpeggio, so that each note rings out clearly. Watch out for hums, buzzes and rattles. The occurrence of these means you are not fretting all the notes properly. Also, be careful about the pinky. It easily is the weakest finger in an untrained or partly-trained hand and can cause problems, so pay attention to it.

Once you’ve got that, now it’s time to make the first change. Change the positions of the two INSIDE fingers. Now the second finger is on the 11th fret but in the SECOND string and the third finger is on the 12th fret but of the THIRD string. Got it? Here’s the tab.

B-|--------------------11---------
    G-|------------12-----------------
    1 3 2 4
    Was that easy! Once again play the first four strings as an arpeggio and check the notes. When you’ve got that, then the second change is in order. This time change the positions of the two OUTSIDE fingers. Now the first finger is on the 10th fret but in the FIRST string and the fourth finger is on the 13th fret but on the FOURTH string. Here’s the tab.

E-|----------------------------10-
    G-|------------12-----------------
    D-|-----13------------------------
    4 3 2 1

You know what to do, play the notes to perfection. Then make the third change. Again change the positions of the two INSIDE fingers, so that they are in their original positions, the second finger on the 11th fret of the THIRD string and the third finger on the 12th fret of the SECOND string. It should look like this.

E-|----------------------------10-
    D-|-----13------------------------
    4 2 3 1
    What are you waiting for, PLAY! This accomplished the final change. Again change the positions of the two OUTSIDE finger, so that they are in their original positions, the first finger on the 10th fret of the FOURTH string and the fourth finger on the 13th fret of the FIRST string. With this change, you see, that we have come full circle to the very first shape.
    1 2 3 4
    When you have memorized this pattern and the changes, practice them in order, over and over again, preferably with a metronome or a drum machine. Play the notes as quarter notes. There is no point however in playing this in WILD SPEEDS. The main aim is to facilitate stretching and increase finger dexterity. For that, the clarity of notes is more important than the speed in which they are played.
    Now for the most important thing, the purpose of this little exercise and how to achieve it. When you’ve got all this fluently, start shifting the whole exercise one fret to the left. For example, starting from the 9th fret the first pattern would look like this.
    E-|----------------------------12-
    G-|------------10-----------------
    D-|-----9-------------------------
    1 2 3 4
    Repeat the whole exercise from this position. Then, when you get the hang of this position shift one place more to the left (begin from the 8th fret). Keep doing this. The frets grow bigger as you go left on the fretboard, so when you’ve reached the 1st fret, you’ll see that you’re doing quite a stretch! Enjoy.

3. samar_singh

samar_singh New Member

how to sing and play at same time

very common problem for all beginners. we tend to entirely lose the rhythm while playing, mostly (as used to happen with me) mess up the singing... nothing to worry about it, it takes time to come, but once it does, it never leaves you, however difficult the song. i myself couldn't do this at all, when one day i woke up and could suddenly do it damn well! of course, in the meanwhile i was trying hard to get it right.

well, there are certain steps to make the passage easier out of this trouble.

the first thing is to do with the guitar itself. make sure you can play perfectly along to the record right in the rhythm. it is called 'muscle memory': u shd be always able to play the chords correctly whenever u want to, and not only sometimes. to do this, ur fingers and hands will learn to *remember* to summon up exactly the right muscles to tend to automatically shape themselves accordingly in the next chord shape and move along in the right direction to form that chord without yourself even having to think of pushing them to do so.

then at first, you may avoid singing entirely. just hum along the tune while playing. u'll realise this is much easier to do and goes well with the chords too most of the time.

then u may graduate to singing and playing with the track. this is still kinda easier coz u can sometimes skip some singing portions if u find ur rhythm eluding u.

then to start doing it on ur own... the first requisite to be able to add singing to the chords is to remember the song absolutely perfectly, the lyrics and the tune and the intonations and all. u may avoid some singing techniques like the tremolo in the beginning, as u can pick all that later again.

yet, it used to happen with me always - i suddenly forgot the lyrics i had been singing for years without even thinking once about it! so the lyrics u shd really remember to the word. remember it as if u could sing it even in ur sleep!

well, u may try along these lines, hopefully u'll get better... u shd understand that it appears difficult at first coz our brains are at the beginning too occupied with making the guitar sound right - as that is the newer thing we've learned (as was my case) and naturally we're not so sure about it - that it hasnt yet learnt to channelise our attention to the voice at all while playing. u may relate this with people learning to drive.. u'll hardly find a young driver talking much while at his new-found job. thats coz he needs full mental concentration to keep his driving steady.

4. jozko

jozko Banned

Samar very useful stuff dude esp tips on singing and playing. Wish u speedy recovery. But don't let that stop you from posting materials like this :-D
    rgds

5. samar_singh

samar_singh New Member

welcome

i will dear and plz lemme know if u need anything i got many things specially just watch google videos its like a training programme.waise just try basic chords u will win almost half the battle.and always keep that attachments printout its really usefull and dont ever try chord by wrong names its really dangerous i mean its like u can learn wrong thing in one day but if u have to correct it u have to spent more time and i believe in smart learning if u work too much u will losse intrest and thats the main thing

6. samar_singh

samar_singh New Member

7. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Good work......

8. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

@ samar cool article n wish u a s[peedy recovery for ur leg

yep for more vids u can browse through youtube.com

just click guitar lessons or sth such in the search box

reps to u!!!

9. samar_singh

samar_singh New Member

plz suggest and reply so i can give u more information and tips plz communicate

10. jozko

jozko Banned

Don't stop posting Samar. People will gradually respond over a week or two. Not all login everyday. You post whenever you get time and as u prepare articles. I believe if you post a topic regularly, say everyweekend, more people will follow, Hope ur recovering fast, rgds

11. samar_singh

samar_singh New Member

snty chords by coldplay (the scientist)

THE SCIENTIST (ACOUSTIC) - COLDPLAY
    -----------------------------------

an incredibly simple but fantastic song to play on an acoustic guitar!

there seems to be a lot of confusion about the key of the song. it does state below
    that a capo is required but for those that don't have a capo i have taken the liberty
    of putting a set of chords on which do not require a capo and will allow you to play
    along with the cd.

(CAPO ON 3RD FRET) (NO CAPO)

Bm7 (x20202) Dm7 (x57565)
    G (320003) Bb (688766)
    D (xx0232) F (x,8,10,10,10,x)
    Dsus2 (xx0230) Fsus2 (x,8,10,10,8,x)
    A (x02220) C (x35553)
    A7 (x02020) C7 (x35353)

INTRO: | Bm7 | G | D | Dsus2 |

| Bm7 | G | D | Dsus2 |

Bm7 G D Dsus2
    V1: come up to meet you, tell you i'm sorry, you don't know how lovely you are
    Bm7 G D Dsus2
    i had to find you, tell you i need you, tell you i'll set you apart
    Bm7 G D Dsus2
    tell me your secrets and ask me your questions, oh lets go back to the start
    Bm7 G D Dsus2
    running in circles, coming in tales, heads are a science apart

G D Dsus2
    C1: nobody said it was easy, it's such a shame for us to part
    G D Dsus2 A
    nobody said it was easy, no-one ever said it would be this hard
    A7 (D)
    oh take me back to the start

LINK 1: | D | G | D | D |

| Bm7 | G | D | Dsus2 |

Bm7 G D Dsus2
    V2: i was just guessing in numbers and figures, pulling the puzzles apart
    Bm7 G D Dsus2
    questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart
    Bm7 G D Dsus2
    tell me you love me, come back and haunt me, oh and i rush to the start
    Bm7 G D Dsus2
    running in circles, chasing our tales, coming back as we are

G D Dsus2
    C2: nobody said it was easy, oh it's such a shame for us to part
    G D Dsus2 A
    nobody said it was easy, no-one ever said it would be so hard
    A7 (D)
    oh take me back to the start

LINK 2: | D | G | D | D |

| Bm7 | G | D | D |

Bm7 G D
    OUTRO: oh - ooo-oo-oo-oo-ooo
    Bm7 G D
    ah - ooo-oo-oo-oo-ooo
    Bm7 G D
    oh - ooo-oo-oo-oo-ooo
    Bm7 G D
    oh - ooo-oo-oo-oo-ooo

StArT Ur StRruMmInG ExErCiSe wItH ThIs SoNg Its EaSy AnD GrEat FoR StRrUmMiNg ExRcises

Attached Files:

12. samar_singh

samar_singh New Member

next one will b how its gonna b -third eye blind

13. Intrinsic

Intrinsic New Member

Nice work - Keep it coming :)

14. .:SpY_GaMe:.

can u upload on youtube?? coz i dont have access to yahoo vid in my region

thnx

15. jozko

jozko Banned

SPY, samar seems linking to GOOGLE videos. u can't access google too?

16. .:SpY_GaMe:.

i cant access vids on yahoo n google..... :(
    it says

Thanks for your interest in Google Video.

Currently, the playback feature of Google Video isn't available in your country.

We hope to make this feature available more widely in the future, and we really appreciate your patience.

17. jozko

jozko Banned

yes i remember such messages on google sometime ago. Where do u live and what's ur line speed?

I think they are not Samar's videos. he was linking to other's playing, i think. Perhaps u want to learn that song. You want me to download and send u that video? i can if u give me a day. That song should already be covered on youtube if itz popular song.

18. .:SpY_GaMe:.

will look for it in youtube if i dont find any will pm u :)

19. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

let me put in a few tips for the bigginers
    Its abt finger workouts
    E-1-2-3-4----------------------------------------
    B---------1-2-3-4---------------------------------
    G-----------------1-2-3-4----------------------------
    D-------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------
    A----------------------------------1-2-3-4------------
    E-------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---

E----------------------------------------------2-3-4-5
    B-------------------------------------2-3-4-5--------
    G----------------------------2-3-4-5----------------
    D-------------------2-3-4-5---------------------------
    A----------2-3-4-5------------------------------------
    E--2-3-4-5--------------------------------------------

etc upto the 12th fret and then

E-----------------------------------------------------------12-11-10-9
    B------------------------------------------------12-11-10-9------------
    G-------------------------------------12-11-10-9-------------------
    D-------------------------12-11-10-9-----------------------------
    A-------------12-11-10-9-----------------------------------------
    E-12-11-10-9---------------------------------------------------

E-11-10-9-8-------------------------------------------
    B------------11-10-9-8---------------------------------
    G-----------------------11-10-9-8----------------------
    D----------------------------------11-10-9-8------------
    A---------------------------------------------11-10-9-8-
    E--------------------------------------------------------11-10-9-8

etc back to the first fret.
    Always remember to use use alternate picking(i.e alternate upstoke & downstroke and viseversa) and try to play with a metronome.
    There is no use in rushing it and trying to play as fast as you can ,this exercise is not just for speed building you also have devolop a sense of timing

And about lefthand positining keep the thumb behind the neck
    make sure that when you play each for the note ring clearly and are not muted

20. jozko

jozko Banned

^ excellent Ambush! think they are very effective. have found many guitarists suggest these. i am gonna use them from now onwards.