Washburn WI-18

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ballzofsteel, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ballzofsteel

ballzofsteel New Member

Needed some reviews on this guitar.......tried it at Bharat music house in New delhi.....its got great action.....the guitar sounded great both with distortion as well as clean....ummm ur take guys?

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

WI-18? Haven't heard of it. Maybe it was a WI-16? Does it have a Buzz Feiten intonation system? VCC?

Washburns have some good guitars. If you found it to be playable then I say you could go for it. What was the price tag?

I have a WI64D and it is an amazing piece of work. Although I don't care much for the VCC, it may work better with good pots and pups.

3. thehundredthone

Okay I checked it out. New release. She's a beaut. That quilted maple top looks very nice. Set neck too, which you will almost never see on a guitar in India. No Buzz Feiten or VCC but that's not a drawback. The mahogany body with quilted maple top will give you very nice fat and dark Les Paul tones.

Again, what's the price tag on it?

4. ballzofsteel

ballzofsteel New Member

Well....I'm getting a deal of 16.5k on it.......i noticed that the inlay at the 19th fret was missing.....is that a blem or is it just the way it is?.....and I'm glad you liked it too:)

5. thehundredthone

16.5 seems decent enough, it's very close to the rates at online music stores.

But yes the missing 19th fret inlay is a blemish. Might want to look into that. Check behind the headstock for a Buzz Feiten logo, and on the panel at the back of the body for a VCC sticker.

6. ballzofsteel

ballzofsteel New Member

Uhh.....what exactly is the VCC....and the Buzz Feiten?...o_O..

7. thehundredthone

The Buzz Feiten tuning system is one where by changing the nut and the intonation offsets, the intonation of the guitar is correct all over the fret board. Ever notice how if your A major chord sounds sweet then the G major sounds a wee bit off? Or how some of the barre chords don't always sound right. The Buzz Feiten tuning system apparently rectifies that situation.

https://www.buzzfeiten.com/howitworks/howitworks.htm

VCC is something Washburn came up with. Your tone pots, instead of bleeding out the treble as they usually would, instead split the coils. So if you turn the knob all the way down you're essentially splitting your 'buckers into single coil. With the stock pickups it's not very noticeable IMO, and may not be the option of choice for many guitarists. I'm looking to eventually replace mine with push-pull pots.

8. highwalker

highwalker New Member

Washburns are good guitars. Why dont you also check out thepacifist2015 who is selling his gear:
    Washburn X-16 anarchy
    Zoom 707II
    Digitech RP50.
    duncan pickups

The link is here: https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=35715

Actually I would have picked up the washburn, but am in Mumbai and have a RG370DX already ;)

Cheers!