want to install new pickups on my guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Sumanovo razor, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

hello everyone...
    well sorry for hijacking a post ;)...alright my guitar cort x2vnfr...basswood body dual humbuckers(powersound pickups)...i wanna change my pickups ...suggest me some good pickups...(active or passive)...if active then i have to route my guitars body...(will it be okay)...and also want to put a single coil between the two humbuckers(will it be a wise decision...) or should i do a coil splitting...i usually play jazz, mostly cleans but sometimes play metal also...

2. Sumanovo razor

to name a few i play songs from guns and roses,coldplay,rhcp,..

3. faraz.bronx

faraz.bronx New Member

let deepsal have his say first..meh on standby! :D

4. deepsal

deepsal New Member

not worth it not worth putting new pups in a x2 at all

5. Vader

Vader New Member

Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 can do jazz+metal
    budget?

6. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Cost of doing all that you are planning to do will go higher than the cost of the guitar itself. And the basswood on that cort i can guarantee you isnt tonally very good(because it is low grade korean). Rather than going through these hassles get a new guitar.

7. Sumanovo razor

ya i know ...but basswood is one of the lightest wood...i have back problem..and moreover low budget..thats why opted this...anyways if you all richie rich people are suggesting me to go for a better guitar...then i wont change my pickups...m happy with the sound it produces...maybe later on i will buy a good amplifier perhaps a peavey classic 30...m more into acoustics so hardly use my electric guitar...thanks for all your advice...probably will go to musician's mall and check some guitars out there....

8. Sumanovo razor

btw is a burstbucker and a p90 are of the same size... ?..

9. Guitarist_DA

Guitarist_DA New Member

Not at all of the same size. Unless you get a special P90 in a Humbucker size, like the GFS Mean 90s.

10. wylder

wylder Member

Dude, if you play mostly clean, get low output pickups that have low string pull so that you have enough sustain without a compressor or overdrive. For the same reason, it would be wise to not increase the number of pickups unless necessary. You can go for wiring techniques like coil tapping/splitting and phase reversal to increase the number of tone options.

Most actives are also fine as they too are generally weak magnet pickups. Actives do not usually require routing as most guitars have space for a 9v battery in the control cavity.

Actives allow you to keep the noise in your signal down but then you need to change batteries once in 6 months. Also actives (EMGs in particular) may sound a little compressed on cleans. some people like this while others don't. Another advantage of actives is that the output signal is low impedance and hence you can drive them through a long cable/chain of effects without losing the top end of your signal.

11. Sumanovo razor

ow...thanks for the active pup info... Guess i would buy a new guitar ...upgrading seems quite hectic ;)...are alder and ash the same kinda wood tonal wise...was browsing furtados' website...came across epiphone les paul standard and gibson les paul studio...both mahagony body...are the good for rhcp Stuff...i know they usually play fenders but still...similarly mexican fenders and highway one and recently the american specials....even they dont have much price difference...all alder...i can change the pickups of epiphone or mexican fenders to sound them as equal as gibson standard and american standard...

12. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

You would be disappointed if you try to get Gibson fat tone from a Fender. U can only come close to it.. That to 60%..But nothin more than that. Gibsons les pauls dense sound cannot be achieved by an Alder body fender guitar by simply changing the pickups

13. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I think he was comparing
    Epiphone to Gibson and
    Mexican Fender to American Fender.

14. Sumanovo razor

yeah i wanted to know whether a mexican fender will sound good with new pickups ...i know it wont match the fret work,comfortability and moreover i have heard the mexicans are kinda hot as compared to the brighter sound of an american ones...even if the quality of mexican fender reaches 80% tonal wise...i'll be happy...same with epiphone and gibson...

15. wylder

wylder Member

Dude, playability wise top end Mex Strats / Epiphones should be almost there with the Fenders and Gibsons. My point of comparison is a friend's Epiphone Standard Plus Top vs a Gibson LP Studio. Both had pretty good neck and fret work.

The difference would be in the quality of woods used and how sturdy the build is. A few upgrades in the electronics would make them even closer sounding. Any tone differences beyond that would only be recognizable on a recording and certainly not in a live situation.