want that thick metal tone!PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by $idrox, Jun 16, 2009.

1. $idrox

$idrox New Member

Hi..i'm sid...I have a Yamaha pacifica 112jmx guitar nd a Marshall mg15cd amp.I love metal songz nd also wnt to play...I am going to buy a distortion pedal soon..I've heard that boss ml-2 metal core is a must have pedal for metal fans..Is it true???if you know any pedal better than boss ml-2 please tell me...Also my guitar has single coil pickups,does it affects in getting that heavy metal tone????PLEASE HELP ME!!!!THANK U..

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

A good way to get metal tone is to first ditch your marshall and get something flat voiced. Then you can get an amt metalizer. Metalizer you can get for something like 6K.

Another option is to get a Zoom G2 pedal that has some good models for metal.

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

The single coil will affect your tone to some extent. It will be slightly thinner and possibly brighter but you can still get a decent tone.

The Marshall amp's voicing is not exactly the best for metal. You could try what ambush suggested. The metal zone has plenty of reviews and demo videos, check them out. It's been said to have a slightly thin tone, maybe it's not the thick tone you're looking for. You should, if possible, try it before buying.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If you want a thick metal tone from your MG15CD, get a Badmonkey, and place it in between guitar and amp.

And now tweak the badmonkey till you get a thick fluid distoriton tone.

5. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

single coils would affect greatly man!
    I dont remeber seeing ne1 playing metal with single coild
    but the the BOSS ML2 is a must have!

Go get it tiger and roar!
    Get proper eq settings as well to get the proper sound.
    nd the amp is decent, can produce <almost> what u want to!

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Probably haven't been to an Yngwie or Iron Maiden concert then. People play metal with single coils.

7. zak*wylde

zak*wylde New Member

But still, the sound is not as heavy as compared to sound from humbuckers ........ try comparing run to hills wid ride the lightning (metallica) ...... u'll notice the diff.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The thing is that single coils have a twang that metal heads don't really prefer.
    All other things can be more or less can be taken care of EQ or overdrive pedal immediately after the guitar.

Its not that single coils can't go heavy.

Second thing you need to keep in mind while comparing two recordings is that - many guitarists prefer single track recording and many prefer multi-track.
    James Hetfield was notorious for using up to 7 tracks playing the same stuff, just to make those thin sounding guitars sound beefy.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

PS: the amps used in Run to the Hills and Ride the Lightening are TOTALLY different.
    That is the reason why those two sound so different.

10. Harsh Kumar

Single coils need so much more besides a good pedal to get the proper thickness. Heavy compressors and gain boosters.

Ppl like Slayer use a 20db gain booster with humbuckers.

n Malmsteen in my God, but he aint all that Metal. He has so many Neo classical influences and blues reflected into his stuff.

11. Harsh Kumar

Single coils need so much more besides a good pedal to get the proper thickness. Heavy compressors, gain boosters.

Ppl like Slayer use a 20db gain booster and than it satisfies him!

n Malmsteen is my God, but he aint all that Metal.
    He has so many Neo classical influences and blues reflected into his stuff.

12. Wildchild_Sam

Wildchild_Sam New Member

The simplest option is to put higher guage strings.(im assuming you have 9s on. They give a very weak tone).Change it to 10s or 12s. That'll completely change your tone and give you a thick tone.Also try some typical amp settings (like bass-10,Mid-0,treble-10) or (bass 10,mid-5,treble-5) .If you still want a better tone ,you have pedals,processors and humbucking pickups..But all thats expensive and you may want to think properly before investing.
    Hope this helps.
    sam

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

OK, and whats special there in humbucks that give 'em special "thick" metal tone?

14. $idrox

$idrox New Member

so guyz I've cme 2 the conclusion that i will buy a boss-ml2 metalcore nd change my strings to 10 to 12s.Now will the tone get heavy??

15. Harsh Kumar

changing string gauge will make a singnificant differnce!!
    and the pedal will do the rest!!
    Nice Decision!

N although Humbucking pickups function almost the same way.
    I dont know much abt the science of it, but it's just that i have a guitar with a coil tap.

I can compare single coils to humbuckers at any instant i want.

I have experinced that i can get the metal tone only when i am in Humbuckin mode.
    After splitting i just cannot get that tone.

Also i have played a Mexican Deluxe Strat with mine all the time, n it's just no match for when you are looking for the thickness.

n Ya, i get the malmsteen tone when i split coils! <But thats really no use, i cant play anything of malmsteen>

16. $idrox

$idrox New Member

thank you guyz..thank you for all of ur suggestions! If i'll have more questions i'll definitely ask it frm u guyz...

17. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

I wonder if anyone's thought of this. Just an idea.

Play closer to the neck! And if you finger pick like me, keep your right hand parallel to the strings while playing. Free of cost, no upgrading, and solves the problem by 25~50%.

18. wylder

wylder Member

You could try out Boss MT-2 Metal Zone too... It has an awesome EQ section. For thicker solos, you can boost the low mids to get a very creamy tone. Another problem you might face is noise - Single coil pickups have a lot of noise which can sound terrible through high gain pedals like ML-2 and MT-2.
    Other options for thickening your tone is using other effects like a Chorus or a Delay with a low delay time..
    Check youtube for video reviews of the pedals before you buy..

19. Harsh Kumar

ya, hums can take so much more gain than single coils.
    Use a EMG20db gain booster and my Bill Lawrence pickup is pretty silent!

20. goonerbynature

goonerbynature New Member

TS, you can get much better pedals for metal tones. Also, pedals sound horrible through low-end solid state amplifiers. I suggest selling the amplifier, and using the combined budget to buy a better amplifier, or a good multi effects pedal, perhaps a Digitech RP.

But if you have to buy a DS/OD pedal, avoid the Metal Zone.