Want recommendations for guitar+amp under Rs.30,000

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ayu135, Oct 28, 2011.

1. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

I was planning to buy a guitar+amp under rs 30000 and i may be able to stretch it to 5000 more if it is absolutely essential.
    Here are some guitars i wish to considered
    Epiphone SG Special
    Greg Bennett Avion AV3
    Greg Bennett Torino TR3
    Epiphone SG 310
    Epiphone LP 100

And the amps i wish to consider
    Vox VT20+
    Peavey vypyr 30
    Roland cube 20XL
    Line6 Spider IV

Please comment on the above and also recommend any other guitars or amps that i should consider.

I play mostly rock which includes metal and heavy rock. I have a bluesy side too which i sometimes like to explore. The sounds that i need from my guitar are mostly similar to the bands like metallica, guns n' roses, iron maiden, dire straits, megadeath, pink floyd etc.
    About guitar wood i dont like the tone of the cheap basswoods that the guitars in this price range use. I prefer Mahogany,Alder or similar wood for the body and for the fretboard i prefer rosewood.

And a query for the effects units, should i buy individual pedals for each effect or would a processor be better? I like quality so i'd rather spend on multiple pedals which i can play over the years rather than buy a cheap processor now and buy another expensive one later. I wont buy the effects unit with the guitar, if i buy individual pedals i will buy them over a space of an year in 2-3 months gap for each pedal. I want the following effects a nice distortion to play metal stuff, a digital delay, a wah wah pedal, an overdrive or something like the boss blues driver. The amp itself will have some effects like chorus, flanger, reverb so i wont buy pedals for them. So it all boils down like this:
    I have thought of three options, first option: buy a metal zone after 2 months and then a cry baby after 4 more months and then a DD-3 after 3 more months etc etc
    Second option: Buy a processor worth 5k-7k after two months
    Third option: Save money and then buy a processor worth 15k-16k
    Which would be best? And i need a good quality effects, and in the least time ofcourse. Because the more i delay purchasing effects i will lose because i have to start practicing.

Thanks in advance.

2. deepsal

deepsal New Member

if you can extend it. to 50k get a
    cort kxq1-19k
    peavey valveking 112/peavey vypyr tube 60
    you dont need a dist pedal with those
    and buying analouge is the way to go but pedals like mt2 suck get the things i mentioned and thank me later
    i had suggested a peavey valveking to a user called maxex,he bought it and was pretty happy

never buy
    line 6 spider series
    marshall mg series

and google
    what are
    -tube amps
    -solid state amps
    -hybrid amps

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

You prefer rosewood over what? Ebony? Maple?

How much of your budget do you want to spend on the guitar? If you're buying one of those amps you'll have limited use for the pedals.

If time is at a premium you'd better start procuring funds faster, because that's pretty much the only way to get good quality effects in the least amount of time.

4. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Guitar:-
    Well firstly dont buy Greg Bennett series. They are sweet sounding guitars. I love those but definitely not meant for the styles u mentioned.
    U can check out The Ibanez S series, Jackson RR3(Made in Japan). I really dont know what their current price is but when i had checked they were for around 28K..Ibanez has some really good guitars in the price range of 25 - 30. See if you can grab any of the Korean made models. Avoid buying the China made stuff. If you get Japan or USA made then nothin like it.

Amplifier:-
    As far as Amp is concerned DO NOT BUY VOX and ROLAND that u have mentioned. Coz they will sound like crap when u play them thru ur pedals. Get an amp which wud NOT have any inbuilt effects except distortion and Clean channel.
    Few models that i recently checked
    -Laney LX35R (solid State amps 8-9K)
    -Laney AX series(somewhere around 8-9K). Take pedals really well
    -Laney Cub 10 (Tube Amp. I own one and its AWESOME and takes pedals really really well 10-12K)
    -Marshall MG series is not bad at all. U can explore a few models above 25W output
    -Stranger 50W and above series ONLY.

Processor & Pedals:-
    Stick to Pedals. U will love the sound more than the digital sound of the processor.
    Buy a Distortion pedal first.
    If you are tight on budget Boss MT2 will do the magic. Digitech distortion Factory(6k) is a very good sounding pedal as well. My friend owns one and its powerful and punchy(but more of a digital sound but really good).
    But if u have the budget of around 10 - 15k. Go for MXR series distortion pedal(I have read a lot about this over here on this site and on other sites and have also seen a demo of it). Sounds great.

5. deepsal

deepsal New Member

6. mymusicmyguitar

Why are you against MG series and Stranger 50W. To some extent i agree about strangers but that too low wattage ones. I have been playing on my friends Stranger 50W since a very long time now.
    he uses that with his Korg 1000 processors and i use my pedals with it. They sound lovely...

Any specific reason why u dont like those?

7. deepsal

deepsal New Member

i am against mg because it sounds super crappy stranger is better i have tried these amps thats why man
    for example mg15 comes for 6k add another k and you can get a vypyr 15 which is a miles better i myself use a 6505 head paired with lv412a cab and i have tried out a valveking,egnater tweaker and a jsx all tube amps so i know what sounds good and what doesnt

8. mymusicmyguitar

I completely agree with u on MG10 and MG15. They aint that good..But 25W and above are kick ass...excellent sound..
    I love Strangers for their clean tones..

I have never had a chance to play on any vypyr's untill now..

9. Vader

Vader New Member

For that kind of a budget buy a second hand vintage guitar dude!!!
    Yamaha or Ibanez from 1980's
    Trust me on that!
    You'll easily get one for 22k(American/Japan made)
    And make is very very important
    American>=Japan > Indonesian
    If I were buying an electric I would never go for Chinese/Indian
    especially when paying around 20,000 for a guitar

(I know most people would disagree with me but do your own research dude...)
    If you can stretch it to 35k then buy the cheapest Godin guitar(around 28k) i've forgotten the model no. and Orange 25L for amp(6.6 k)
    Now for my clarification
    Godin is American made
    Brilliant for playing Heavy Metal and Rock
    Absolutely beautiful sounds
    The only reason they are cheaper is because they are crap at marketing
    Same for Orange
    The best orange amp is the crush 30R
    i prefer it over Roland as well as Marshall but it could be personal preference
    that way you'll not require a processor and less number of pedals

(Dont take my word for anything play for yourself and check the reviews!!)
    only con is the cheapest Godin doesnt come with a tremolo :(

If you wanna be more orthodox then you can buy Ibanez
    I agree with mymusicmyguitar
    'dont buy Greg Bennett series'
    they are alright for the clean verse parts like fade to black or day that never comes or dance of death
    But not for Sultans of swing or knockin' on
    and your heavier riffs will suck especially palm muting like one or holy wars
    Ibanez is most versatile in my experience
    (SG guitars are sweet though)

Again
    'Get an amp which wud NOT have any inbuilt effects except distortion and Clean channel.'

This brings me to what i would do in your situation
    (again gonna get a lot of disapprovals)
    buy a guitar till twenty (X-cort/Ibanez/Vintage)... depending on my requirements(Features/Versatilitiy/Pure quality of sound)
    buy an amp for five G ie Orange 20 watt or second hand 30 watt with just distortion

club the remaining 8-10 G's with my pedal money and buy a boss me 25 after six months for 12 G
    i mean it has USB output which you may not want now but is much better if you wanna record your instrument

Anyway thats my two cents
    I was actually looking for the Introductions Forum cause i just joined IGT but stumbled upon this

*All the best for your music*

10. Vader

Vader New Member

For that kind of a budget buy a second hand vintage guitar dude!!!
    Yamaha or Ibanez from 1980's
    Trust me on that!
    You'll easily get one for 22k(American/Japan made)
    And make is very very important
    American>=Japan > Indonesian
    If I were buying an electric I would never go for Chinese/Indian
    especially when paying around 20,000 for a guitar

(I know most people would disagree with me but do your own research dude...)
    If you can stretch it to 35k then buy the cheapest Godin guitar(around 28k) i've forgotten the model no. and Orange 25L for amp(6.6 k)
    Now for my clarification
    Godin is American made
    Brilliant for playing Heavy Metal and Rock
    Absolutely beautiful sounds
    The only reason they are cheaper is because they are crap at marketing
    Same for Orange
    The best orange amp is the crush 30R
    i prefer it over Roland as well as Marshall but it could be personal preference
    that way you'll not require a processor and less number of pedals

(Dont take my word for anything play for yourself and check the reviews!!)
    only con is the cheapest Godin doesnt come with a tremolo :(

If you wanna be more orthodox then you can buy Ibanez
    I agree with mymusicmyguitar
    'dont buy Greg Bennett series'
    they are alright for the clean verse parts like fade to black or day that never comes or dance of death
    But not for Sultans of swing or knockin' on
    and your heavier riffs will suck especially palm muting like one or holy wars
    Ibanez is most versatile in my experience
    (SG guitars are sweet though)

Again
    'Get an amp which wud NOT have any inbuilt effects except distortion and Clean channel.'

This brings me to what i would do in your situation
    (again gonna get a lot of disapprovals)
    buy a guitar till twenty (X-cort/Ibanez/Vintage)... depending on my requirements(Features/Versatilitiy/Pure quality of sound)
    buy an amp for five G ie Orange 20 watt or second hand 30 watt with just distortion

club the remaining 8-10 G's with my pedal money and buy a boss me 25 after six months for 12 G
    i mean it has USB output which you may not want now but is much better if you wanna record your instrument

Anyway thats my two cents
    I was actually looking for the Introductions Forum cause i just joined IGT but stumbled upon this

*All the best for your music*

11. mymusicmyguitar

Yeah well said...I own a 1996 Ibanez Japan made which i was trying to sell few months back..Now i have started liking that Harsh tone all of a sudden..

Well but Vintage guitars that too japan and USA made wont go for that cheap...Definitely it depends upon the condition as well..I was trying to sell mine for somewhere around 32K.

12. Vader

Vader New Member

I got my friend his yamaha 1983 for 22 grand japan made
    sounds brilliant man
    thats why it makes me smile now whenever a beginner buying a guitar asks how old it is
    I didnt have the money or i would have bought it myself

13. Vader

Vader New Member

thats why i said 1980s :)

14. mymusicmyguitar

U know what..recently a 1970 American Fender was sold for around 70K :)

15. mymusicmyguitar

16. Vader

Vader New Member

that wasnt my point dude
    I just meant that i know of guitars of the 1980s which are sold for that much
    i have no such idea about 1990s
    anyway
    i got your point
    Touché :)

17. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are lots of new ideas to consider. And yeah some things i should have mentioned.

The way i had planned to split the 30,000
    18,000 for the guitar
    12,000 for the amp
    and the extra 5000 if it is absolutely essential like if i am getting a really good guitar buy paying like 2k more(you get the idea).

I had forgotten about some of the accessories i will need so maybe the extra 5000 will go into them :( like a nice hardcase, and a nice locking strap.

I wanted the pedals because switching the effects on and off on the amp will be a pain in the arse while playing live so i will need some kind of foot controller if i dont buy pedals. Which brings the point that i want the amp loud enough to play live in a small place. I thought 30w will be enough?

And about the second hand goods, where can i find them?? I live in Nagpur which is very(stress on very) bad with regards to guitars. There is only one good shop which isnt very well stocked. So i have decided i'm going to travel to buy my new guitar and have decided on Mumbai. Some suggestions in this regards?? And also i wanted to tell i have made these preliminary choices on the basis of the prices mentioned on the Furtados website.

I wanted to be able to try the stuff before i buy.

And yeah another important thing i left out I "dont" want a tremolo on my guitar especially a floyd rose one. I hate those.

That is is the reason i left out ibanez. Cheap indonesian basswood on the gio series, cheapo floyd rose tremolo's. Thanks but no thanks. Same with the Esp LTD series under 20k guitars. I didnt see any ibanez s series within the budget i mentioned.

18. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

And yeah i know the difference between the three kinds on amps, Tubes, solid states and hybrids. Tubes are full vacuum tubes like the laney cub series. Solid states are fully digital. Hybrids are like the valvetronix series they have a tube in the pre amp section. This brings up an issue i heard about with the current vox vt+ models, there seems to be some noise and snare drum hiss issues with it. I had considered laney but then it was too vintage for my tastes(i am saying this on the basis of youtube demos) i am talking about the cub8 here. Is the vox advt series still available?? I heard some great stuff about it.

And if i say i prefer rosewood fretboards it is assumed i mean over all other fretboard woods available.

For the suggestion of increasing my budget to 50k. Not possible. I know a tube amp is the best but then i dont have the cash. And the current modelling ones like the vyper series get pretty close to the originals.

19. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Also some suggestions on where to buy? Bargaining? What stuff to expect as freebies(guitar case, cables etc..)?? and other finer things while buying a guitar?? How much discount to expect??

20. deepsal

deepsal New Member

go with vypyr 30 then and cort kxq1 try that guitar you will fall in love with it