Want a distortion stomp box which is really punchy

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by jekyll, Oct 17, 2005.

1. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Dudes I want a distortion stomp box which is really punchy -

that means it should
    • have huge bass - kickass amount
    • have good mids attack - for the real in-your-face punch
    • have high gain - but smooth really smooth
    • at low gain should be able to give a bluesy breaking sound (in between clean - overdrive)

ron n alfons have already helped me by making me check out AMT Calif n AMT Fatal Tube ...

but since i cannot have both ... Ron help ...

any other box available ... (should be below $100) ...

P.S.: i chcekd the AMT Metallizer and Extreme Metal - they are not exaclty smooth sounding ...
    similarly with MT-2 (with MT-2 u can get the fatso punchy sound - but again ti is not so smooth)

2. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

california isnt dat versatile....gud for only..shredders

i stongly recomend the metalizer...will send the sound sample ASAP !

3. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

^^ aha!.....i knew you will take bolt out yer metalizer...!now you are completly predictable!

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Check out Sansamp GT2 and play it through my home made Amp and 2x12 Cabinet. That will do everything you want. It can sound really heavy and smooth. AMT Fatal Tube is also pretty neat but for your smooth tone requirement, check out AMT California Sound. Toadworks Mr.Ed is another great Distortion pedal which tries to simulate the Van Halen's Brown Sound. Proco RAT Reissue or the Keeley Modded Proco RAT is an excellent sounding pedal.

5. ronnieanand

At very low Gain, AMT pedals dont perform their best. I'd safely say, all of them suck at the lowest overdrive setting. They come to life only at higher gain settings.
    A Keeley Modded BD2 is a great bet for a low gain smooth and creamy overdrive.

6. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

^^ METALIZER KI PHAD DI !!

dude metalizer sounds awsum with low gain...i cud easily play Johnny B goode with dat DITTO sound

7. jekyll

jekyll Banned

umm Ron, BD will not have high gain sound :(

Calif is there as an option ... but do u mean Fatal is more gainy sounding than Calif?

Pro Co RATs are weak .. they sound like high overdrive only

Sansamp GT2 ... ok will chek it ... n Toadwork thingie ... but somehow i feel thye will breach my 10 dawllars limit ...

Alfons ... Metallizer clips ... required

8. ronnieanand

Nothing sounds ditto as anything. You can only convince yourself because you paid a lot for it.

No great tones ever got reproduced anytime.

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey Ronnie..I see that you have stopped recommending the Rocktron Silver Dragon..is my pedal so bad sounding??...:cry1: ;):p:..

10. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

How about getting a real Tube amplifier?
    That will give a u better tone.

11. ronnieanand

Hey,
    I didn't recommend my Fatal Tube either. His requirement is different and your requirement is different. Jekyll plays a scooped mid high gain metal and also wants it to be smooth. Silver Dragon is not the right pedal for that. For a raw 80s Blues Rock kind of thing, Silver Dragon rocks. For that AMT California Sound sucks. Your requirement was for 70s, 80s Hard Rock. Unfortunately we dont have one single distortion that does everything good. I have recommended Silver Dragon to some other people too who wanted to play Hard Blues Rock.

12. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Hey ron ummm .... i dont want scooped mids :p:
    see:
    :)

13. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

@ ronnie - :nw: I :nw: havent :nw: met :nw: anyone :nw: like :nw: you :nw:

14. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Theres this pedal called jekyll and Hyde ultimate overdrive by Visual Sound..now I dont have any experience with it(obviously) but Ronnie might have heard of it..harmony central has good reviews of it....it is a 2-channel pedal..first mode has supposedly has smooth overdrive and 2nd mode is high gain..similar to Silver dragon setup but has more controls..could be woth checking out..basically go to HArmony central and read up some reviews..dont take them at face value but at least you will know the features and stuff..and some ppl post soundclips too..

15. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

why dun you give a try to digitech...distortion factory??....it drools!!

16. jekyll

jekyll Banned

yaar digitech distortion factory - well it reeks death metal from its name :)
    no but the fact is any kinda factory means it is able to emulate lotsa sounds ...
    that means it wont be really good in one typical kinda sound (like the one i want)
    second - it will be costly :(

:cry1: i dont have money ... otherwise i wuudve taken AMT Astral Tube or Platinum

Jekyll n Hyde .. hmm :grin: name sounds interesting ...
    i'll chekc it ... but i feel it might break the 100 dollar barrier :cry2:

17. ronnieanand

Jekyll and Hyde is a nice overdrive pedal. I have heard good reviews from users. But I dont think that a pedal for playing Metal. To what I have know, there are some mods from Indyguitarist who make the pedal sound much better. It's not a very versatail pedal either. But they have some funny looking box.

@Jekyll. Okay. Not scooped mid, that's why I told you California Sound it's a very middy distortion.

Check out Toadworks Death Rattle II. Not a Metal pedal but an excellent pedal with great tones.

18. ronnieanand

You haven't met me either :p: ;)
    Thanks anyway. I take it as compliment.