Wanna Upgrade My Computer!!

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by chintan9, Feb 7, 2006.

1. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

hey chitan,

ahh..i tinkin you are confusin yourself 2 much ..k ...i wil talk in absolute le mans terms
    you budget is 20k rite ...so you can change ur processor , motherboard ,g card, ram and hdd for that amount..
    dude ..20 k is a lota money !!!!!!!!!!!
    here is ur config (again !!!)

Amd athlon 64 3000+ 939 pin - 6000
    Asrock motherboard - 3000
    1gb hynix ram - 2500
    seagate 120gb hdd - 3000
    nvidia 5600 128mb graphics card - 2500
    SONY G -120A dvd writer - 2800
    total = 19,800

i presum you got it now !
    and thats it dude !!!.....be happy wit ur new comp ..in comparison to ur existin comp ..it will give you double the performance ..

2. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Dude nVIDIA 5600 is AGP, while the board u mentioned has PCI-Express slot. What now?? ASUS N6600GT is the solution!

3. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

well..u neva know ...but you get 5700 pci -e ..hey ..even 5200 u get pci-e !!

4. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

FX 5200 in PCI - E???? U gone nuts? Or am I crazy?? Which Manufacturer? Gimme a link. FX series is all AGP 8x dude. PCI-E starts from 6 series.

5. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

the 5750 is the pci-e version of 5700 and most of the 5xx series is also available for pcie
    the pcie version for 5200 is called 5300..its the same card but with a hybrid connector nvidia made to quickly transform agp 8x cards to pcie cards ..too bad they dont use the full output of the pcie bandwidth

since you want solid proof ..here is a link of a XFX geforce 5200 pcie card (a.la 5300) ...

https://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_1498478/111601.html

but nowadays ..only a few manufacturers make these cards..these cards were mainly made so that when pcie was launched newly ..there would be some cards to use the interface

this is the official link

https://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listFeatures.jspa?seriesId=100

but in india ..you get these cards easily ..cuz most of the guys buy these low end cards ..i personally woudl buy nothin less than an ATI x700 in pcie or nvidia 6600..they are 2 very good cards for the price ..

i think if chitan9 reads all this ..we are gonna cofuse him to the core ..but lets c!!!!!

6. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

What do you guys think about this setup

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 939) -> Rs. 5500/-,
    MSI K8NGM2-IL Motherboard -> Rs. 4500/-,
    Corsair 512 MB DDR RAM 400 MHz -> Rs. 2600/-
    BenQ 1640 - Rs2700/-
    Seagate 120gb hdd - Rs3000/-

7. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

gr8..I was about to recommend the nvidia 410 with geforce 6100 IGP..
    Go for higher memory if possible....and u can always update gfx later..
    This will just about run recent games at lowest settings..
    BTW are these bangalore prices?..where did u get the quote..SP Road?

8. chintan9

A friend of mine da. Havent really cross checked the prices.

9. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Get the Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 939) 8K. It is based on a completely different core and is the best bang for the buck at the moment.

STAY AWAY FROM MSI MOBO'S !!!!!!

These boards look good on paper and have a lot of features but

1. They have MAJOR quality and reliability issues. One mobo will be gr8 and the next on will be lousy!

2. MSI boards automatically overclock your processor by a few MHz, this can void your warranty (most dealers here dont know abt this, so u may be able to get away with it)

So STAY AWAY!!! You hear me???

Buy a mobo which has support for PCI Express, this will keep you relatively future proof. Buy a graphics card ( I recommend the Geforce 6600 or 6600GT 256MB)

Instead of the seagate, get a western digital the higher price is worth it.
    If you must get a seagate, dont settle for anything less than a Barracuda.

BTW, what are you going to use your PC for? Unless you're into heavy duty gaming at resolutions higher than 1024x768 you dont need to upgrade much. An upgrade will not give you a noticeable performance increase in anything other than gaming.

If all you do is play a few games at lower detail levels, jus buy an AGP geforce 6600GT 256MB and a lil more RAM.

10. Double Click

Double Click New Member

My suggested configs

1. Athlon 64 3200+ 6 - 8K
    2.Asrock mobo - 3K
    3.512MB DDR400 RAM - 2.5-4K
    4.Geforce 6600GT 256MB(PCI Express) 7K

Total
    17-23K

OR
    Keep your existin stuff and add

1. 256MB DDR266 RAM 2K
    2. Geforce 6600GT 128/256MB (AGP) 5-7K
    3. Western Digital 80 GB Hard Disk 3-5K
    Total
    10-12K

11. chintan9

dude why cant I use my present ram and use another 512 stick together. tHAT way i will have 750+Ram. IS there some compatibility issues or somethin????

12. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

yup... that boad can take RAM running at 266 Mhz..plus only max 512 combined(as someone pointed this out yesterday) ..now 400 Mhz RAM is common and obviously performs better too...

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

And I dont see any reason to shell 2.5 K more on processor..you are not running any processor intensive applications....save it for gfx or sound card...neways most of the game load goes to GPU and RAM...

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

+1
    Something that I have been saying time n again since Day1

15. chintan9

no da. IT is 1Gb.

THe asus motherboard has 2 slots for RAM. SO two 512 can be used to give u a sum total of 1GB

16. Double Click

Double Click New Member

You can have upto 1GB total RAM on your mobo. However, the benfits of havin more RAM arent all that high once you cross the 512MB mark. This is especially true in the case of 266Mhz RAM. You will not see any marked increase in the performance unless your playin games at high resolutions or doing some sort of image editing. 512MB is the optimal balace of performance and cost.

Its true that most of the graphics processin load goes to the graphics card, but havin a faster graphics card is pointless if your processor/mobo cant supply information to it fast enough.

The Athlon 64 3000+ will be able to handle your needs quite comfortably, but the athlon 64 3200+ is based on a different core with a higher memory throughput and is more efficient. Either one will do the job.. its just that the 3200+ is the best bang for the buck

17. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Having more RAM is defenitely advantageous. But as your keep increasing it beyond a certain point, the cost increases a lot but performance increase is not justifiable. I am sure 1G RAM can do better than 512MB. But again it just depends on the applications. Any application which requires large amounts of data and which can be repetitively used will be benefited by having large cache or large main memory. If your applications, uses continuously changing small chunks of data, having bigger cache or memory will not do anything good. So you should consider the kind of applications, your PC is targetted. If it's for Gaming, a decent processor plus 1G Memory and an excellent graphics card would be good enough. Your processor need not be the latest in the market to get the best performance. If it's studio applications, then the requirements are much simpler. If it's for heavy number crunching applications, having a fast processor with a lot of cache will be of great help. So consider all these factors before you make a decision.

18. Double Click

Double Click New Member

chintan says :
    Considering his pattern of usage, I really dont think an upgrade is neccessary. Except maybe for an increase in RAM, a new HDD and a graphics card, nothin more is needed.

Defragment your hard disk, free up the drive on which you've loaded Windows, turn off services you dont need, disable effects you dont need. This will give you a performance boost in the kinda software you work with. Then see if you really need to upgrade, because no upgrade is goin to give you a major boost in performance in day to day tasks like word processin and surfin the net. The noticeable improvements will come only in gaming, audio encodin and image/video editing.

Games like CS, nfs, hitman etc are not all that graphics intensive.

so once you are sure you want to up grade, get

Get a Western Digital hard disk
    A total of 512MB RAM
    A graphics card...Unless you plan on playin more graphics intensive games and are willin to play at 800x600, I feel you should be able to get by with a Geforce 6200 128/256MB (AGP) -- 4K
    The 6600 is overkill considering te kind of games you play

A sound card. I recommend the Sound Blaster LIVE! These cards are selling for an unbelievable price. They are without a doubt the BEST option out there (considerin the price/performance ratio)

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:nw:
    Why dont the marketing geeks of Intel clarify the matters like this?

20. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

@Double Click: Dude r u sure ur quoting chintan's post? He never mentioned it here. If thats all, i think therez hardly anything worth upgrading. I perfectly agree with ur sugestion. 512MB of RAM is enough, Western Digital is the best HDD, Geforce 6200 256MB DDR with Turbo Cache (aka 256MB TC) is the best bang for the buck. I've tried many cards, and its best entry level PCI-E card. But if u got AGP slot, get urself ATi Radeon 9600, and carefully overclock it. Its gona give out performance rivaling Geforce FX 5700 Ultra. Add a cooling fan if u have to, and u can play Quake 4 on it. Well I think thats all. Peace