Wake me up when september ends distortion effect?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by yashodhan92, Aug 11, 2009.

1. yashodhan92

yashodhan92 New Member

i want to know what settings i should use to play the distortion tabs/arpeggio part of wake me up when september ends? the sound ends up getting very muddled/mixed i am using a Zoom G2.1u processor.

2. distorted

distorted satan

G2.1u will replicate it...
    Google maar le... u'll get the settings easily...

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Sound gets muddy because you are supposed to palm mute the strings while playing.
    Its not like playing acoustic guitar where strings dampen themselves.

4. flood

flood New Member

billy joe armstrong is not a big effects user. he gets most of his sound from his marshall. this song is pretty simple, overdrive-light distortion should do the job. as always, you must EQ to get what you're looking for if not using equipment that'll give you the sound readily. i have a feeling that you might be going overboard on the gain. keep the gain about halfway on a british amp model, high mids, slight bass cut, half treble. billy joe picks like a madman, so dig in. it's a very physical way to pick - very little wrist and mostly shoulder.

5. yashodhan92

yashodhan92 New Member

hey thanks and could you tell me which MARSHAL AMP? as the G2.1u has MARSHALL AMP MODELS it has Marshall JCM800 /Marshall JCM2000 / Marshall Guv'nor Overdrive Pedal

6. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

800 would do.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

2000 should be more modern sounding IMO.

800 is the classic heavy metal sound - like Judas Priest/Iron Maiden etc

8. flood

flood New Member

he uses a modified super lead, which predates the 800 by a few years. nonetheless, the 800 model (accuracy notwithstanding) should do the job well. it should be aggressive and raw, and not too modern-gainy and djent.