Vox V847 vs. Dunlop 535Q

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Genesis, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Genesis

Genesis New Member

I'm going to buy a wah-wah pedal and i've two options:
    1) A second hand Vox V847 pedal ($102 approx., available)
    2) A brand new Dunlop 535Q wah wah ($???, might take time to ship)

I tested the Vox and it sounds good, but i've never seen the Dunlop, so i don't know how it compares... Which should i go for?

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Vox V847 is a damn good one. Go blindly for this. You could do a vocal mod on this and it'd be really great after that. Even without mod, it's a great pedal.

3. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

i donno about the vox..but i gotta dunlop crybaby with a fasel inductor(89$..from zzsoungs).
    Its fantastic, i absofukinlutely love it.
    I have posted a clip in the Indian Music section..u can check the wah out(the sound i.e)

4. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Vox beats dunlop by far!!!

Love mine :D

5. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

wah wah

choice of wah depends on the kind of music u play or would like to.personelly...ive used both the wahs u mentioned and go with the 535Q because its so damn versatile,there are alot of tonal possibilities with it thanks to the wah range selector,variable Q and volume(for boost mode)...yes theres even a boost mode whch gives u OD and some very cool overtones depending on the volume u're playing on.At times i just play thru the parker into the 535Q thru either a Roland JC 120 or a Marshall DFX series n the results are really cool.it works and responds really well both in series or parallel when hooked up with other efx,etc.true bypass.U might want to chk your gain,compression and gate settings if u're going thru multi efx and experiencing some"qssssss "
    its got all the wah sounds from classic hendrix & 70's funk to modern sounding and alot in between.......just play with those knobs and u'll learn soon ;)

PS - Alternatively,u might want to check on the Boss PW10(V wah),BOSS AW 3 and hook it up with a Roland EV - 5.Morley wahs are pretty bland and u'll reach a saturation point.Budda cud be fun but can't play around much unless u're looking for a"fixed sound"

Happy Hunting ;)

6. rechts_234

rechts_234 New Member

i think the guy is confused by now

7. ronnieanand

Got for RMC3, the best Wah available as of now. It is $$$$$$$$$ but it's the best. Or catch hold of any Dunlop or Vox and get it modded by Keeley or Analogman. If it's vintage, then you can mod it by the best Wah guy Georffrey Teese. He wont touch the newer ones. Mine is a 1976 vintage Thomas Organ Crybaby modded by Geoffrey Teese.

8. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

Teese ! excellent choice......
    i'd love to chck your vintage babe man!
    And for the big budgeted....... chk the Jim Dunlop Rack Cry Baby DCR-ISR
    ..i'd love to add this someday or perhaps just play it sometime,then see if i could shell so much $$$$$$ for a"waackaa chuucka" :beer:

9. ronnieanand

DCR-1 is the best Wah ever made by Dunlop. Unfortunately it's out of production. I have seen the used ones sell in eBay for around $900. That's way too $$$$$$$$$$ than the RMC. For slightly cheaper and excellent Wah, check out George Dennis Wah. Looks like Morley and performs like Vox. Optically controlled, so will last for a lifetime. It costs about $130.

10. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

out of production ..yes..but not off the shelves....quite a few places still offer it but at $$$$$$,for which our"going to buy wah"friend cud pick up a decent rig :p
    GD wahs sound promising.Got no first hand info on them,just reviews.
    If its user friendliness n versatility u want...Jim Dunlop 535Q is right up your ally,classic - no bull@#%& rock n roll - Vox 847
    there are alot of companies offering similar stuff,but u've got to make up your mind between the 2 or wait n preferably try out various makes b4 u make a decision

11. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

Alley :p
    lmao

12. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Agreed, its a great wah, but the price is quite high so i still suggest a vox v848 :p:

13. Genesis

Genesis New Member

By the way, I bought the second hand Vox for Rs. 4250.