Vocal Training (Harmonium)

Discussion in 'Misc Musical Instruments' started by ilovegadgets, Jan 30, 2007.

1. ilovegadgets

ilovegadgets New Member

I have been taking vocal lessons for about a month. My ustad makes me hum at the first black key (to the left of the harmonium) for half an hour and do 'Aaaaa' for another half hour. Basically I spend about an hour doing this boring shit and then the actual lessons start. Because of this training, my voice has deepened. I am kind of worried that if I continue to practice at the low black key, I wont be able to sing the high notes anymore. I got no intentions of becoming a classical singer. I like rock music and I took the lessons to improve my voice. Now I am worried that I wont be able to sing rock anymore. Somebody with vocal training experience please help me out!!

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Um..i have no idea what to tell you, but i'll make a plea for people to tell me what i need to be doing to develop my voice too. It sux bad...

3. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

hmmmm my voice sux too.......but the people i talked to some really experienced ones told me its imp to go through this phase of "aaa" . u might not appreciate it rite now, but it will be the best thing that you can do for your voice.

I know rite now you feel like jumping rite to the songs.....but this initial "aaa" thing is very good to warm up ur vocal chords so they r ready to take the beating later, u dont want to damage them.

there r couple of other useful threads on vocal training on IGT, search for those as well.

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

you should try the 'aaaa' with the higher notes too

5. ilovegadgets

ilovegadgets New Member

Well I do that too. The thing is he makes me do it at the first black key for about an hour. Not that my voice hasn't improved because of this, it's just that I am worried that I might not be able to go really high because of this.

By the way, how do you increase your vocal range using the harmonium? My ustad tells me not to push my voice but there is really no other way of increasing your range other than pushing it, is there? I got like 2 n half octaves. Is it possible to take it upto 3?