video from my geetanjali show

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by jayswami, Mar 8, 2005.

1. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

yes anniya swaram is definitely less prevalent but its there.
    anyway, in film music how does one difine something as "anniya swaram"? everything will be "anniya swaram" from the point of view of a purist ;) (some may even call it "abaswaram" instead of "anniya swaram"!)

2. kishmu

kishmu New Member

"kedarathukku sedharam" - Subbudu on Yennavale song in Kadhalan :)

3. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

lol..im not sure what you people mean by anniya swaram, but im guessing in a ragam where a particular swaram is absent, you introduce it for just a particular phrase. Iv been taught of it a prayogam. tell me if its something different your talkin bout.

ananth, nattai does have dha in the ragam
    arohanam- sa ri3 ga3 ma1, pa dha3 ni3 sa
    avarohanam-sa ni3 pa ma1 ga3 ma1 ri3 sa

iv learnt a chittaiswaram thats a little different from the one that people usually sing..im riting it for you guys, translate it to whatever you guys are most comfortable reading.

N S D N S P D N (Lower Sthai) S R G M R G M P

M G M, P M R , S R G M P D N S

N, S R R S S N S R G M R, S N

S , N P, N P M P, M G M R, S

the coma denotes an extra pause. Try it with the talam. I think its very pretty

4. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

the way I learnt nattai "dha" was not included. besides the chittaswaram is teh only place where dha appeared in the song
    aarohanam: S R3 G3 M1 P N3 S
    avarohanam: S N3 P M1 G3 M1 R3 S
    I guess there are different interpretations

the chittaswaram looks nice, I'll try it after I go home

the chittaswaram I learnt (I think the standard one) is:
    P.PM|GMRS|RSNS|PMGP|
    P.DN|SRGM|MRSR|SNPM||
    SNPM|GMNP|MRGM|R.SR(high)|
    .SS.|NP.M|GMRN|SRGM||

5. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

6. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

how have raaga be interetation?

either dha is there or dha is not there. arent the rules for janya raagas fixed?

like if nattai has no dha, but u add dha to it.. then maybe u call it jazz nattai :p:

also other question i had was if u repeatedly skip a note ina song, then how can u say the song is in the raaga with the skipped note?

so if nattai has da, and mahaganaptim has no D, then how is mahaganapatim nattai??????

baar baar haan from lagaan is nattai
    rozana the cheerleader from song is nattai too

lagaan song has no dha..

7. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Paramesvara jagadeesvara
    pavanaathma jaagaccha
    swaaminaatha paripaalayasumam
    all the above are compositions of deekshidhar in naattai
    all use dha extremely sparingly
    maybe people don't like the concept of anniya swaram and decide to keep dha in the raagam. it looks natural to treat dha as an accidental.

UPDATE:
    I just checked the swati tirunal compositions in nattai - no dha
    Tyagaraja compositions: no dha
    one of the pancharathna krithis is in nattai- jagadananda karaka (pancharathna krithis are seen by many as trademarks of that raagam): no dha!
    syama sastri composition (pahimam) I can see only one (fleeting) instance of dha

8. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

also, I've seen several notations of raagas, some nattai with dha, some without dha, and some with dha in brackets! also some avarohanam goes like s n3 p m1 r3 s and some like s n3 p m1 g3 m1 r3 s. I've see reeti gowla aarohanam written as s g2 r2 g2 m1 n2 n2 s and also as s g2 r2 g2 m1 n2 d2 m1 n2 n2 s. I don't know which is correct, or even if there is a correct one (cos all can be explained logically to fit the raagam). maybe thats y its good practise to not worry abt aarohanam/avarohanam and just get to "know" the raagam for what it is (through its prayogam).

9. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

some ragams are in conflict when it comes to different schools. I have had three teachers so far for vocal, and two for violin, of which all of them have been consistent in what i have learnt, as in the Dha in the nattai is there. There are some ragams that you dont emphasise on a particular swaram too much.

Reetigowlai is one of those ragams again which people differ on the arohanam avaro. However, everyone i know sings reetigowlai the traditional way despite of the aro avaro differences.

Ananth, learning the aro avaro is important from an educational point of view. Before learning a song, you practice everything from sarali to alankaram in terms of swarams and aakarams, in order to get the feel of the ragam. Hence even though there are minor discrepencies with regards to aro avaro in terms of schools...the main feel of the ragam is always the same.