Veg/ Non-veg?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by horsesmouth, Aug 28, 2012.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

or wine...or curd, or cheese?

I find I'm quite open to experimenting with food....especially with local tastes. I remember eating raw clams in Australia even though I was a little repulsed by what they looked like. It's hard to enjoy a meal when you're thinking in your head that you have to "keep it in". Luckily, I have a brother and mother who are equally adventurous so our meal outings are usually pretty experimental. My dad, on the other hand, already knows whether he's going to like or dislike something before he tastes it.

I'm also amused sometimes by the Punjabi idea of being "non-veg" which is usually lots of masala on tandoori chicken. You're really not even tasting the meat....just using it as a base to put a lot of spice on.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ What about Chaat masala on every roasted/tandoor preparation?
    I Hate this Chaat masala phenomena in India.

Actually Punjabi style is not about loads of masala. Unfortunately it has been marketed that ways - and now everyone wants to fall in line and follow the set expectations. Similarly Kashmiri style is not about making everything sweet and adding dry fruits indiscriminately everywhere.

3. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I find the taste of chicken to be very bland unlike mutton and fish. So it makes sense to me to add some spices to it...

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Actually there is a slight difference between wine and decomposed meat.
    Wine is because of the yeast anaerobic fermentation and it produces ethanol which prevent any aerobic bacterial activity. The smell of this fermentation is "bready". This is the same fermentation that makes us idlis, dosas, etc. Of course anaerobic bacterial activity by lactobacillus causes that sour taste. Thats another reason why some people mix yoghurt with the dough before keeping it for fermenting.
    Oh, yoghurt itself is a product of anaerobic fermentation by lactobacillus bacteria.

Decomposing meat is by aerobic bacteria - and it produces that foul smell.
    (That's why the rot starts from the surface - exposed to oxygen)

5. sa tish

sa tish New Member

My choice to be veg
    One day people starve for food. Non-veg people definatley eat whatever comes in their way.
    So start eating non-veg.

6. atti2d

atti2d New Member

Almost all of south pacific islands including australia and new zealand eat raw fish marinated in coconut milk and its called kokonda.......in china almost anything goes except cannibalism (no pun intended).

7. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

So according to you, if someday all edible plants-sources can get exhausted, some other (sooner or later than plants) day, all animals and source of meat can get exhausted too.
    So if only humans remain, hypothetically...???
    So start eating humans too.

8. atti2d

atti2d New Member

Dried meat is called a jerky. Salt is normally added to prevent bacteria from developing. A jerky can kept for months without refrigeration and is ready to eat whenever. Dried meat as opposed to decomposed meat would be a favorable term to give it. Its actually nice. If i am not mistaken then they do it in some parts of india as well, particularly the south.

9. monica_decosta

monica_decosta Active Member

vegetarianism as per me is a path to non-voilance and thoughts of avoiding extrem materialism .... i will eat u alive is a very tempting dialogue from the negative characters in human stories ..flesh is tempting it also gives a clue of a kill = victory being made !! but avoiding the pleasures of flesh is difficult so some of us eat lol

my parents made me a vegetarian :( ..:p

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

But why would you be so afraid to embrace "materialism"?

Besides, You do realize that materialism and spirituality are all bogus concepts just introduced just so that two conflicting schools of thought exist.
    You know how human beings right from childhood like making teams and following a "leader"

11. horsesmouth

Under the concept of spiritualism, the negative effects of non-vegetarian food in our(tropical) climate have been established, methods which were originally scientifically observed, but later overshadowed by the overgrown influence of religion.

Also, I would have believed you but for my practical observation. I came upon an interesting theory:
    "What you eat defines to an extent how you behave."
    Stress-induced slaughter causing malaise

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Does that mean that game meat (hunting) is stress free when the animal being pursued and hunted?

Besides, the study just talks about a general phenomena (like increased obesity), no one knows for sure (and neither had the study isolated the causes) if that it is the result of internet, or result of sitting on chairs for 12 hours a days, or lack of fighting during adolescence (most animals fight for their mate at the onset of puberty), or because of drinking chlorinated water, or being attached to your parents well after teenage, or eating farmed cereals or overeating in general! ... and so forth.

Ah, how did I miss this:
    Irwin H. Putzkoff, PhD, MD Schmuckintush professor of nutritional physiology

:RollLol:

13. horsesmouth

hahaaa yes! I missed that too!

but anyway, the author is still talking about 'other' causes here:
    " It is also thought that approximately 50% of impotence not attributed to other causes (e.g., diabetes or use of antihypertensive drugs) is caused by the high hormone content in meat."

I assume you're not actually talking about obesity here; the topic there is actually almost everything other than that.
    Also, whether the theory's actually true or not isn't sure, but it surely is a demographic study. (unless it's a complete load of bullcrap.)
    Finally, it also speaks about different kinds of meat. If this were true, I can understand why other meat isn't very popular.

(None of these are actually a reply fit to your question ;D )

14. monica_decosta

Our bones even are totally re-formed in about 10 to 20 years ...so what we eat makes our body .. even in the way u obtain your food defines your attitude towards it !!

Anyways the point is not that eathing chineys food will make your eyes smaller ...but yes hunting / chewing flesh does affect our attitude towards things may be a little bit !!

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Horsey: I am sure that study you linked was just a prank.
    No one would write himself as Prof Schmuck... !

Also there is a line of reasoning which says that Veg food today is actually more harmful than non-veg.
    Most of the veg foods have had some kind of genetic modifications done to improve the crop yields and improve the resistance to diseases and pests. Our stomach and bodies have evolved for wild crops and vegetables. Not for these modified farmed ones!

But in my opinion, all such reasoning (and the meat one above) are scat done by some real schmuck just wanting to complete his PhD and land a plush job with some nondescript R&D organization. Even if the food does have some effect on human mind and body - there are other factors at play with million times more potency.

Yes, but this doesn't answer: why are you afraid of materialism?

BTW, do you know why Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc ppl have narrow eyes? (of course, you rightly said - not because of their food)

16. monica_decosta

..long story short .. the materialistic view / practices Vs non-materialistic view i choose the other cause i feel good with it .... although hunting has its charm but in a trade-off between tasty blood and less tasty smiles i choose the other one !!!

if i can i will remain a vegetarian else i heard in difficult times people kill and eat there dogs too !!!

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Anyone who thinks they're on a moral high horse for being vegetarian should get off it. That is all.

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Funny, because materialistic people are often blamed for doing things that they want/like to do.

19. wylder

wylder Member

@monica_decosta: Your view on vegetarian diet being the path to non-violence is quite interesting.

I believe violence is closely linked to intent of the crime. Else, I would think killing silent plants that cannot run away from your attack is just as brutal (if not more) as killing an animal. Also, consider that any nuts/seeds you eat are unborn children of these plants.

The reason you kill farm animals as discussed earlier is to support a larger population on our limited food resources. It is not the result of the butcher's love for bloodshed.

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You forgot to add the taste and texture aspect (especially with herbs, spices and condiments - something that cereals and vegetable are finicky about)
    ;)