Veg/ Non-veg?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by horsesmouth, Aug 28, 2012.

1. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

I'm a vegetarian and though I am used to having people eat meat on the same table as mine, I frequently encounter people who try to hammer sense into me by saying non-veg is healthy.
    The conversation usually goes stupidly till it escalates into pointless argument.
    Points usually covered are:
    1. Non-veg is healthier (I disagree because vegetarian food is no less)
    2. Egg is veg. All that scientific study about embryonic development crap. (I disagree, but can't counter it, other than saying that a few scientists have actually proved that table eggs are as alive as any other embryo. Plus I believe that eggs-are-veg is a really pathetic excuse for maintaining your veggie status but still having what you like.
    3. If egg is non veg, so is milk, because it is an animal product and also it is forcibly taken from cows by starving calves. (I don't know what to say to that, except wtf?)
    4. Plants have life too. (But its not flesh and blood right? Xylem-Phloem are their equivalents though)
    5. Irrespective of everything, we eat curd and bread, which is a product of fermentation by bacteria, which is living too. (Same argument as above.)
    6. Lastly, and most stupid of all, we breathe micro-organisms in the air all day long (I don't reply to them, its an indication that the argument has to end because the person doesn't want to lose).

So, in the end, irrespective of all these, how do you define what is vegetarian, something which would counter-argue all the above points successfully?
    Would that include these points: Living beings, in flesh and blood, complex-structured like us, lower than us in the food chain?
    Non-vegetarians, they said, look at every living thing, except their own species, as food. I was one too, long time back, and if you consider the taste, I don't think that is a proper argument at all.

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I'll conclude.. Vegetarianism is a myth ...

3. horsesmouth

Hahaa...
    I thought I was special.
    </3

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I don't argue.

Some people love to miss all the good things in life by abstinence ...
    ;)

5. horsesmouth

I don't see how this features in 'all the good things'.
    Fame, respect, yes. Money, girls, to some extent. But, food, alcohol, smoke, weed?

As I said, I'd been a non-vegetarian for almost 20 years, but it never appealed to me very much. No.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Food, alcohol, smoke, weed (add sleep also) are the primary good things and instantaneous!
    Money, girls, fame etc are secondary good things ... and you may get tired of them perhaps.

In any case, do you want me to take a non-veg side or the veg side?
    I can present arguments from both sides ...

7. mermaid

mermaid New Member

How can one live without Non-Veg, it is sooooo yum.... Non- Veg is the best!!!

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I so wanna try a mermaid...

9. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

hahahaha
    try its tail
    otherwise it would be cannabalism

10. horsesmouth

I'd cancel alcohol, smoke and weed from the primary good things..
    Good can't be defined as what you get addicted to right? Because the person who is addicted to it will believe they're good.

:D
    okay, veg side...
    so to answer mermaid's question?
    "How can one live without Non-Veg, it is sooooo yum.... Non- Veg is the best!!!"
    ?

Like how I lived for almost 10 years now...and I didn't miss non-veg at all...

11. horsesmouth

He would love to start from the bottom...

12. mermaid

mermaid New Member

and i so wana try a rickyrichhhh, provided u r rich heheh

13. mermaid

mermaid New Member

heheh thanks for your kindness guitarplayer :p

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Or perhaps "good"/"enjoyable" things are exactly those that you can easily get addicted to!

15. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

Those things make you feel good but they are not good
    Like anger makes you feel that you are doing everything right but you are not.

16. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Humans naturally are omnivores, which is shown in out tooth structure and the length of out intestines. So vegetarianism is actually deviation from our true nature. I eat what tastes good. Since i have been bought up on a vegetarian diet i am more comfortable with it and dont like the taste of non veg at all.
    Now i will go on point wise:
    1)Whether Non veg is healthier or not is a moot point because "healthy" depends on your diet. Both veg non veg and veg can be healthy or unhealthy. But non veg does have some nutrients that are lacking in a vegetarian diet.
    2)Eggs, well i think they are a middle ground like viruses(they are neither living nor non living in truest sense)
    3)........
    Eating any food group is a personal choice. Plants are living too, it is true, so if you eat a chicken or a plant or anything else for that matter you are no different because we all are following the food chain, we need to survive and for that we need to eat. Biologically it makes no sense in eating the creatures that are on the same level as you on the food chain because of, Let me explain in detail. Say there is a plant it takes energy from the sun as it requires very little for its survival maximum is stored. A goat eats this plant it gets the excess energy the plant had. Now the goat uses a part of this energy for its survival and stores the excess. A tiger then eats the goat so it gets the excess of the goat, it then uses it a part of it up and stores the rest. So as you can see the energy becomes so less as it reaches the secondary consumer it doesnt make sense to eat them because the energy we get from them would be so less. Also there is this effect called bio-magnification.
    Vegetarianism is flawed in itself because of the ideology it promotes. They tell you you are superior since you are a vegetarian because you dont kill others for food, but actually that is how our world is built, you have to kill something(be it plants, bacteria, animals) to eat and survive there is nothing wrong with that. So if you choose veg choose it because you like it nothing else, you are in no way different that a person eating anything else.

17. horsesmouth

Should say then, good is relative.
    Good apparently is what majority defines it to be.
    But it definitely isn't what provides someone illusory happiness. It only makes you gauche, and hence, socially unacceptable. If we know what bad is, we might have an idea about its opposite.

Which is why, I assume, eating anything these days is not considered bad. It's socially acceptable. But it can't be called good either.

18. horsesmouth

But what is vegetarianism?
    1. People who don't eat eggs?
    2. People who don't eat flesh?
    3. Buddha, who didn't even take a step without making sure it didn't kill an ant?
    4. Jains, who cover their mouths?

Until that is clarified, how can we say it is flawed or correct?

19. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Well i was talking about vegetarianism as defined by Hinduism. There are explicit rules about what you can eat and what you cannot. From my knowledge eggs are excluded by Hinduism.

20. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Eggs are not vegetarian... Which idiot propagating this idea?