Valve-Tube confusion

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rickkkyrich, Nov 25, 2010.

  1. rickkkyrich

    rickkkyrich Guest

    I saw this at bajaao. Is this a tube amp head? It says "LANEY LV300H 120-WATT VALVE GUITAR HEAD AMP". The price tag is making me curious.

    Are Valve and Tube same thing?
  2. abhijitnath

    abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

    It's the same thing. Valves is the Brit term, tubes is the American term. Since Laney is British, they write 'valve'.;)
  3. ultrabot90

    ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

    @rickkky - Even after this?
    The price tag is making me curious too. 120 watts tube amp for 18k? Sounds too good to be true.

  4. rickkkyrich

    rickkkyrich Guest

    ^ yes ultra.. its the price tag that made me wonder.. for 40k you can have a wonderful 120W amphead + Cab.. Definitely a deal IMO.. Only if i had enuf cash..
  5. flood

    flood New Member


    hope that answers everything.

    and it's not a tube amp. there is ONE tube in the preamp, so you can tell your friends that your amp has a tube in it (not tubes because that would insinuate plural). other than that, this thing is as close to "valve tone" as i am to ascendancy to knighthood in a papal order.
  6. ultrabot90

    ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

    Dude. EPIC post :RollLol:
  7. rickkkyrich

    rickkkyrich Guest

    How bout comparing this was a SS amp? Or is it a SS amp only with just "a tube"..
  8. axemanrio

    axemanrio New Member

    You can equate the LV300 to a tube-driven pedal with a single 12ax7 run at full plate voltage, so try it first before you decide whether you like it or not. I've seen this amp being used live and thought it sounded alright.

Share This Page