Urgent!!!! Ibanez Grx20z....help !!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by DrSaurabh, Feb 15, 2005.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

hey people
    i need help...am getting this second hand Ibanez GRX20Z for $75, its one year old, black in color....
    the guy had bought it to learn guitar but never ended doin it dude to the work load...
    now my prob is....i dont have much of an idea abt Ibanez guitars...especially trmolos...
    so tell me this...
    what do i need to chek in this guitar...
    what should i chek with the trem
    what wud u say abt this guitar
    shd i go for it?

please hurry...the guy might not wait forever....and am in a hurry..
    thanx in advance

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

its an ok guitar - really u got to check the condition of the guitar - if its not been used and hes still selling for les that half price- somethins wrong with it - ur ging to have to get it checked out - i mean 3500 rupess for that?? - either ways wats ur budget - and ur in mumbai so why you paying in dollars??

the guitar isnt that great - but if its in good condition - then its a steal at that price

3. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

my bro will be buyin it...and the guitar is one year old.....this is just for learning......his learning......like his first guitar

4. shak

shak Harrr!

check the action of the guitar..

dents and cracks.. (especially at the heel.. the place where neck meets the body)

tune the guitar and do dive bombs ... 5 or 6 will be enuf... then check the tuning again... variation of +/- 50 cents is acceptable (my opinion) this will take care of trem

check fret wear ...

buzz... i dont think you'll find any buzz cuz usually the shop keepers increase the action of the guitar before selling it ...so the customers wont notice any buzzing frets ... but drop the saddles to the lowest possible action and then check for the buzz..especially the d,a and e strings!!! (i have a bad experience here :( )

play it a few times get the feel... if you like it then fine i think at 75$ its a good bargain..

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

ok......thanks.....anything more i need to chek...?

6. deathdr_87

run ur hand along the neck - often the neck might be screwed - jsut get a feel of it - also make sure the truss rod is in good condition and the electronics are good - as in there is no phasing of volume etc....

cechk for hum on the pickups -cant think of anythign else not already covered

7. shak

shak Harrr!

yes!. @deathdr ... thnx you reminded me of those volume knobs...
    @drsuarabh .... check the volume and tone pots...they shouldnt make any scratchy sound or unwanted noise... although it is fairly easy to replace them .. but you can use this fault to bring down some of the price.. ;)

8. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

hah, my girlfriend has that guitar. She seems to be pretty happy with it.

9. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

I have an Ibanez and I've had only one problem with it.
    One of the pick ups was not working, and luckily it turned out that the problem was in the switch. So I got a new switch for 6$. Its been ok otherwise.
    Use the switch and make sure all pickups r working

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

till now this is all ive asked my bro to chek
    the buzzing of the frets...
    the dive bombing
    the octave on it...
    the neck...if it is warped any way.........and now gonna ask him abt the amps....
    anything mroe...thankx guys...

11. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@Drsaurab....$75, Interesting.

i just had a talk with Ibanez dealer in Mumbai. The price for ibanez GRG series starts frm 12000 to 15k.

so, Be Cautious. Of course if its a good guitar, its a steal!!

12. deathdr_87

grg series is different form grx series - grg is a low end rg series - almost same features but lower quality - grx is altogether a diff series only - its much cheaper - the reatial prices are about 8-12k

13. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

^^^^oops!! sorry...didnt read it was GRX i thought is GRG!!

terriblly sorry for misleading!!