URGENT:Distortion coming up in clean channels

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rust_in_pain, Oct 3, 2007.

1. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

Hi,
    I use an Ibanez RG470DX with a roland cube.When i plug it on stage (for live performance)i hear a certain level of distortion in the sound though the channel is clean.It does not sounds bad....but it should be clean when i put it that way.

Reducing the gain didnt help.Using a noise gate did no good.
    Is the something to be done at the EQ present in the mixer of the pa system?

Please advice soon as there is a performance lined up for tomorrow.

Thanks

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

What exactly is your signal chain when goign live?

3. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

Happens to my microcube as well. they arent meant for gigs. If so, only through a cab.

4. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

the distortion is coming from the speaker...these amps have bad generic speakers and are not supposed to be played at high volumes.

5. rust_in_pain

well the signal chain is ibanezRG470>>>zoom505(hate it but no other choice rite now)>>>>roland microcube>>>>pa system

shall i try and connect the zoom505 directly to the pa ?

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

How do you connect Roland microcube to the PA system?

Via Line out? or some other out? or mic?

Dude, didnt yo uhave an AX1500g?

And in general, processors sound better off connected to PA system. But then Zoom 505II is crappy, and may still sound dud.

7. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

dude i got it u plug via the line out into the pa but are u insane doin it the cube(i own one too)isnt meant fr doin that stuff..The line out u hav is actually if u wanna plug it into the computer(bt that also is sucky) or headphones.......actually plug ur zoom into the pa straight away..........thats the best thing u can do...........and get some money buy a better processor

8. Shreddy

Dude, you connect the Line-Out to a cabinet or the PA system. It's not like two dicks trying to have *** man.

9. rust_in_pain

well...

@alpha1-i sold off my ax1500g and trying to get a second hand gt8...cant buy a new one..and it seems like lady luck is on the other side...coz no one in delhi is even interested in selling off a gt6 or any high end processor..

i connect the roland through the line out..

@radicalz_adi-when i connected the zoom into the pa directly it didnt sounded as good as when i introduced the microcube in between...that created a sort of cabinet effect...

@Alexi_Laiho-i really cant make out wat u r trying to say

i figured the problem was with speakers as the sound system had original JBL speakers and they didnt distort a bit in clean......

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ok.
    So you connect line out to the PA system.

I think what might be happening is that there is some impedance mismatch - from your line out port to the input of the PA.

And that weakens the signal strength from your roland to the PA.

Now the guy at PA sees that and he increases the volume on his PA deck.
    Which start clipping your signal.

11. rust_in_pain

that seems very logical.....so which amp in general should be used to even the impedance with the PA system?

12. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Are you getting the distortion from the Cube or from the PA?....

If it from the cube maybe the gain of the line out from the zoom is too highfor the Cube
    If its from the Pa then its probably a problem with the Sound system and you dont need to worry

Doesn't the zoom have cabinet effect??

13. rust_in_pain

i was getting distortion from the cube before...i reduced the gain but it didnt helped.....therefore i thought the distortion will be there at PA also....

but the PA system was orginal yamaha mixer and JBL eon speakers...and the clipping almost vanished there...

zoom is CRAP....u cant even differentiate between the cabinet effect on and off.

14. Shreddy

"zoom is CRAP"

The 505 is crap. But im pretty happy with my zoom.

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The line-out from the Cube, comes form the ampflifier, not from the speaker.

So even if your cube's speaker start farting, the clipping should not come in the signal.

Now since the clipping DID occur, and PA system was pro, the problem comes before that.

Line-out from Cube would not distort, hence, the only plausibkle reason seems that the output from your Zoom is too high. Reduce the output levels.
    When you play distortion stuff, you wont notice it; however, when you play clean, this clippage will sound bad.

BTW Line out from any device is built so that it doesnt load the other device. Hence, line-out from one device cannot cause clipping in other.

16. rust_in_pain

ok....if line out from one device cant cause clipping in other....then i wonder why does the zoom causes the cube to distort? (since its output is also a line out...and can be used with headphone with a jack convertor)

@alexi:eek:fcourse i meant the 505...G2 and G7 are good

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Then it aint line out.

Line out aint same as headphone out.

18. rust_in_pain

actually the zoom has only one out-be in line out/output/phones.....
    and it made my cube to distort (even without a pa system while jamming)

when i plugged in a local-made pa system..the distortion was worse..

when i plugged in JBL speakers HOORAY! only clean sound!!

so i guess

1)zoom's o/p is high for roland
    or
    roland's speakers are not good enough (but when i plug directly to roland they dont distort)

2)the local pa was having some impedence mismatch problem or the local speakers were sucking big time

ultimately the performance went well!!!

19. subhajit_981

subhajit_981 New Member

Dude it's advisable that u connect ur pre-amp(in this case processor) to the PA Not to another preamp(amplifier's head).....Also tell me the grounding status of your equipment...
    And for the price Zoom 505 (though i never use it cause it's too low level for me)produces good effects but fizzes out on big sized systems ; but I know quite a no. of artists who use it as a part of "Effects loop" I hope u know what the former means......:cool: